Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

First post here!

The car in question is a 2004 Camry 2.4L 4-cylinder.

The car started making a somewhat periodic noise that I thought was coming from right side of the car. Initially, the sound awfully sounded similar to the wheel bearing noises I been hearing youtube videos, so I thought that it could be the bearings.

I have been driving since then the noise has gotten worse. It is indiscriminate of whether I am going uphill or down hill, or if I'm going under 15 mph or 70 mph.
One thing I do remember was that I had a friend who weighed 250+lbs on the passenger size and the grinding noise intensified. Could it be something with the suspension?

At this point, after driving my car for over nearly 5 months, all I got is "there is a grinding noise coming centerish front part of the car". I know I can't get the exact diagnosis but does anybody have an idea what might be the issue or had a similar issue like I do right now?

Any input will is greatly appreciated. I would like to take it to a mechanic, but I am not currently in a situation where I can so at the moment.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,914 Posts
Have you done anything other than drive and listen? Have you looked under the car for anything dragging? Have you done any kind of diagnosis, eliminated anything, confirmed anything? Come on, give us something to go on. Your description of the problem might as well have been “ my car doesn’t sound right, what’s wrong?”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you done anything other than drive and listen? Have you looked under the car for anything dragging? Have you done any kind of diagnosis, eliminated anything, confirmed anything? Come on, give us something to go on. Your description of the problem might as well have been “ my car doesn’t sound right, what’s wrong?”
I don't really have the equipment to jack the car up and look directly underneath the car. I didn't see anything dangling when I peeked beneath the car from the sides.

One thing I did do was testing the wheel bearings. I jacked each side of the wheels, looked for wobble and spun the wheel as fast as possible. The whole car shifted when I wiggled each of the tires and I didn't hear any noise that resembled a grinding noise as the wheels were turning.

Another thing I thought of was that the brake dust shield might have been bent. I did replace the brake pads on my own several months back, so I undid the tires and checked again. there seemed to be enough clearance between the shield and the rotors. Since the sound seemed heavily localized in the front (confirmed by another friend who have sat at the back seat and driven my car), I didn't ruled out the rear wheels.

I hope I gave a little information about my car's situation.

By any chance, would you have a tip or a test that I can quickly do on my own with a jack and a socket kit?

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,713 Posts
Welcome to the site UpsideDown.

Not much any of us can tell you or suggest, as the list is long with possibilities with the data we have. You need to raise it up and get a look underneath. Jack stands are pretty affordable, get a pair from Harbor Freight or Walmart or where ever you like. I'd get 3 ton stands as overkill but that's just me.

Sounds like you have a jack. Jack the front end up so that the wheels clear the ground. Put it on jack stands. Set the parking brake, chock the rear wheels. Put it in N and rotate the wheel. Any sound? Did the noise start after that brake pad job? Look at the tie rods - both outer and inner. Any grease? Look at the lower ball joint - any grease? Thudding and grinding are different things - a thudding could be a loose bolt on the lower control arm or something like that.

Jack it up and take a bunch of pics of the wheel area and post it up so we can see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts