Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have been dealing with the wind issue and so forth. Get my car back and multiple panels inside the car are scratched. They are going to replace them, but then I find they scratched my car where the mirror attaches. Is it horrible no, but blizzard pearl is so hard to match...Thoughts....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I am afraid of, but I am going to give them a shot. If they can't match it 100% they will have to figure something out. This is 100% on the dealer.

The car has been to the dealer 8 times with less than 2,000 miles. They will need to make it right. I am super particular and the repair will need to be unnoticeable.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,418 Posts
2k miles, Damn straight it's on them!
Years ago I started photographing all the areas any mechanic may get near before taking any of my vehicles in, saved me more than once. The little joys of the digital world.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sucks. Good luck.
ugh thanks....I am almost afraid of letting them touch it, but I have had the car 3 months and won't be able to deal with this scratch forever....Service department just rushes way too much

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD V6 Blizzard Pearl, Black SofTex
117 Posts
The same for me. Blizzard Pearl. They scratched and dented a door during mirror replacement :(
It did not fix the wind noise issues, mirror is vibrating at highway speeds now and they repainted the door in a new car. It is horrible. I think I will never come back to toyota dealership for any service again... DIY is the way to go

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2k miles, Damn straight it's on them!
Years ago I started photographing all the areas any mechanic may get near before taking any of my vehicles in, saved me more than once. The little joys of the digital world.
Good idea...the dealer admitted to everything so they are taking the blame. I am just concerned with them getting it to match properly

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The same for me. Blizzard Pearl. They scratched and dented a door during mirror replacement :(
It did not fix the wind noise issues, mirror is vibrating at highway speeds now and they repainted the door in a new car. It is horrible. I think I will never come back to toyota dealership for any service again... DIY is the way to go
UGH....yeah it is so frustrating....Was the body work OK at least? does it match?

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
It's time to start lemon law proceedings. Read up on how that works in your state and then get that process rolling. This whole thing is taking way too much of your time. You posted elsewhere that they found noise levels of 95+ db inside the car at 70 MPH - that's definitely not normal. Mine is nowhere near that high. At this point the only way the dealer would "make it right" for me is to get me out of the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's time to start lemon law proceedings. Read up on how that works in your state and then get that process rolling. This whole thing is taking way too much of your time. You posted elsewhere that they found noise levels of 95+ db inside the car at 70 MPH - that's definitely not normal. Mine is nowhere near that high.
I probably will, but regardless this still needs to be repaired. Yeah the decibel reading is way too high. I am not sure how/why the technicians and Toyota think it is normal.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
DIY is the only way. Rather find issues myself than let a Joe touch my ride! My cars are torqued to spec. Playing with paint... oof. That’s another tier of specialty.... they use 3rd parties to do that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer has what they said is a "toyota" certified body shop. It is a big dealer that has like 10 different location in my area so I will give them the benefit of the doubt to try to repair it. They know I am looking for perfection and will not accept anything less.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
77 Posts
What else have that offered beyond the repair? Your paint will no longer be original and the car will take a depreciation hit. Push for more. If they offer free oil changes tell them to pound sand and don't come back until they have a real offer.

Reactions: Girohead

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What else have that offered beyond the repair? Your paint will no longer be original and the car will take a depreciation hit. Push for more. If they offer free oil changes tell them to pound sand and don't come back until they have a real offer.
They haven't offered anything else. Since it is being done by the dealer and not an insurance claim it will not show up on the carfax report. Dealers have to make repairs to new cars quite often and those repairs would not be on the carfax report.

I am not sure what to ask them for it is all just extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
77 Posts
They haven't offered anything else. Since it is being done by the dealer and not an insurance claim it will not show up on the carfax report. Dealers have to make repairs to new cars quite often and those repairs would not be on the carfax report.

I am not sure what to ask them for it is all just extremely frustrating.
Experienced car buyers know how to look for body work and re-painted panels. Even the best paint techs can't match the robotic arms used at the factory. Carfaxes are like resumes, a piece of paper dressed up to make things look better than they are. Just something to consider, especially if they can't match it well enough it's going to be an obvious tell tale sign, clean carfax or not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get it. I know the sales manager at the dealer. He knows if it’s not perfect I’m not accepting it. Just torn if I should even have it repaired now.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
395 Posts
I get it. I know the sales manager at the dealer. He knows if it’s not perfect I’m not accepting it. Just torn if I should even have it repaired now.
And what if the dealer resprays with acrylic and results are acceptable to him and not you? Stuck with a bigger mess. Spray it again and get a buildup that even in the event that it matches, the heavy acrylic coat may fade differently than the original paint and may alligator with age. My .02 is to limit the damage, have the dealer provide you with Toyota touchups and attempt repair yourself and see if you can live with it with a commitment that if unacceptable, then the dealer can give it a shot. Always better off with touchup of a small scratch than respraying a panel.

I found the Toyota Blizzard Pearl touch up pen will not exactly match the Blizzard Pearl finish if the primer or bare metal is showing.....and neither will sanding, repriming and respray of the panel with a single coat of acrylic respray when later viewed at all angles and under all lighting conditions. I had difficulty touching up a small scratch like that on the Rav4 and similarly on a White Pearl finish on a GM. Touchup paint is too thin to cover, even in three of four coats more like transparent metal flake snot.

Found the best way to finish is to tri-coat like the manufacturer. GM's call it tri-coat because it uses three layers to achieve the three dimensional effect. Place a base coat of non metallic Toyota white over the gray primer and then place coats of Blizzard Pearl on top of the white for a three dimensional look and a closer match to original. Touch up pen might be tricky on that scratch and the brush in the touch up bottle will make a mess. For small scratches best way to layer is with a throw away micro brush

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They adjusted my hinge as noticed they rippled the frame. I think it’s time to press the dealer to replace it now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts