Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Link: https://youtu.be/a5-9boU-_hA

My 2008 Rav4 base 4wd has been screeching for the past few days as title describes. It screeches a bit at the rear when I am turned slightly left and gets more prominent when I turn all the way to the left and turns into more of a grinding/screech combo, something rubbing. My dad helped me verify that it comes from the rear and from both sides, and not from the front.

There is a much less prominent screech when I turn completely right.

The screeching comes with a grinding that I can slightly feel as I drive.

There is no sound when I reverse, only in drive. There's no extra sounds when I hit bumps, besides maybe some small chirps, but no grinding or screeching like I experience when the steering wheel is tilted to the left.

With steering wheel turned all the way left and driving in circles, there is more sound when I drive slow. Also, when I tap the brakes, the screeching/grinding turns into a high pitched screech, and returns to the former when I let off the brake.

Also there aren't any leaks from the grease boots, they're intact.

Thank you in advance anyone!

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
Are you in the rust belt?

I'm not sure I'm hearing a lot on the video, but it sounds sort of like what I was hearing from my 01 Avalon. It turned out to be rusted brake dust shields (AKA backing plates). Similar to your case, the scraping was more pronounced on a turn, in my case on a right turn.

Actually, "rusted" doesn't cover what was happening. The thin outer sheetmetal portion* of the shields had produced thick rust flakes and were in the process of disintegrating.

*These are double-duty rear shields, with a thick and beefy inner portion that serves as the emergency brake mount, and a thin periphery that's only a dust shield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not in the rust belt, just east of it! I'll get the brake dust shields examined. It certainly could be a possibility. In fact I HOPE that's it! Otherwise it could potentially be complicated.

Thank you! I'll update when I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: The noise turned out to be coming from the small metal clips inside the calipers, on top and bottom of the brake pad. I had to get them altered because they were moving and scraping the rotor. No noise to report now!:grin:

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
By any chance, are the pads worn? These clips might be brake wear indicators, designed to screech or grind when a pad has reached a wear limit - one is shown at 1:58 in this video:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the pads were not nearly worn enough to activate that screech. The brake clips I mentioned rest between the caliper and the brake pad. For some reason they were loose and were moving around and grinding against the rotor when in motion. Pliers helped bend some of the inside metal outward so it would rest in the caliper without contact to the rotor.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts