Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 I4 Cam...+200k

Hey guys, I need help...
Car was quiet until a day or two ago, when ever there's a bit of force
when turning left, some screeching sound would be produce,
that sounds similar to when brake pads are almost out...
It sounds at lower speeds around 25mph but is quiet at higher speeds..
I had looked under, but haven't had time to inspect in details yet...
Does anyone encountered anything similar or know what makes the sound?
Is there anything specific component that I should look over?

Appreciate any responses.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Hmmm my guess is power steering belt.

When you're in park jam the wheel all the way to the left until it stops and it shouldn't give you any crap. If it does, look over the hoses and belts in the area of the PS (and check the fluid levels).

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give this a try today..
Thanks...

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok..I tried turning the steering when parked, all is quiet..
So im guessing it might not be the power steering..

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a similar problem. I've posted a week ago or so but nobody replied.

Whenever I turn left sharply there is a sharp loud screechy sound. It has to be very sharp like a U-turn.

And yes my CV joints are fine.

·
Registered
1991 celica gt
419 Posts
yea mine does that i think its the ten year old power steering belt:lol:
if thats not what im imagineing though check the wheel's for excessive heat or maby the wheel bairings

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies...

The sound was more apparent
when I was braking up to my drive way earlier....
The exact sound...
So Im guessing something
is either touching when i turn, my pads are only 2 months old...
I guess I'll look it over when I have time to jack it up and take off the wheel...

I'll post again if i can figure it out...

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,523 Posts
Thanks for the replies...

The sound was more apparent
when I was braking up to my drive way earlier....
The exact sound...
So Im guessing something
is either touching when i turn, my pads are only 2 months old...
I guess I'll look it over when I have time to jack it up and take off the wheel...

I'll post again if i can figure it out...
There's some sheet metal on the engine side of the brakes that can easily get bent too close to the rotors. Trivial to bend back once you find the culprit.

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's some sheet metal on the engine side of the brakes that can easily get bent too close to the rotors. Trivial to bend back once you find the culprit.
I'll take a look at this...
Thanks...

·
Oh, What a Feeling
265 Posts
1998 I4 Cam...+200k

when ever there's a bit of force when turning left, some screeching sound would be produce, that sounds similar to when brake pads are almost out...

Appreciate any responses.
I'd check easiest first.

Check steering fluid level.

Could be a worn belt causing slippage, so when turning places strain on power steering pump/belt.

Check brake pads and if Ok check Wheel bearings. As you turn Left more so in the States, double check passenger side bearing. I've replaced our passenger (your drivers side) bearing as that's the one that cops a lot more of the turning stress.

Brake pads do have an audible "squeel" indicator - a thin piece of steel designed so that when pads are low enough, the indicator will rub on the disc causing the metal-on-metal squeel.

Could be too that given age of vehicle, suspension components are a bit sloppy causing the disc to rub onto the squeel indicator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to have this problem when I first put in fresh belts in my car (alternator, power steering, etc.) It stopped after a little while, I never thought it was serious since my mechanic told me he saw no problems when he checked it out.

·
Oh, What a Feeling
265 Posts
Toyota トヨタ;6144265 said:
I used to have this problem when I first put in fresh belts in my car (alternator, power steering, etc.) It stopped after a little while...
Usually take a little while for the belts to "bed" in. New belts should be re-checked after 5 minutes of use for re-tightening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Usually take a little while for the belts to "bed" in. New belts should be re-checked after 5 minutes of use for re-tightening.
I was thinking the same thing, "Bedding in". Sometimes I think the elements such as cold weather/snow or summer heat and humidity can cause the belts to slightly stretch or shrink.

·
Registered
Camry 1997 2.0
5 Posts
Hi Guys, the noise became louder and evently could hear it was the back brakes. Replaced it and the sound is gone.:clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts