Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have officially and wholeheartedly decided against the V6 swap...thanks to zoni_camry um....so you won't be hearin anymore desperate questions about the V6 swap or whatever now you'll hear about somethin different...for any of you thinkin of swapping i say "DON'T DO IT!" because shiftgateperformance.com is coming out with a turbo kit system specifically for the 5sfe I-4 engine so.....just wait it'll be worth it....and also if your engine is up there in miles i suggest you buy a used motor....i am gonna buy a used motor and a brand spankin new turbo an be runnin 200+ whp.....anyway i have a question as usual...with the turbo....how is gas mileage affected? i am guessing it's not better in fact i'm guessing it's prolly worse... second question.....seeing as how the new turbo exhaust manifold comes with the turbo kit will i need to change anything about the exhaust beyond the cat? and if i so happened to want to change the cat would it be better...performance wise to get a free flow cat? or.....i'm open to suggestions

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I dunno.... the only SC'd V6 Cam i've ever heard has sounded pretty damn sexy. Much better than my 3sgte I must admint :(

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
and i see that you live on oceanside, so i hope you have or can get a hookup for the smog test because you wont pass with the turbo on there. you can go to the smog ref and get it passed but that cost money and you still have to be within the limits allowed for your car. but if he sees something he doesnt like on your car he will flag it and youd be screwed then.

·
Registered
223 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
first off... say bye bye to 87 octane fuel... with a turbo you need minimum 91, but i would recommend 93 or even higher if you can find it.

secondly, your gas mileage will suck ass. its a fact of life that with more power comes less fuel economy. this becomes especially true on a forced induction engine. itll burn your fuel hotter and faster than stock.

thirdly, 200whp is a pretty lofty goal with stock internals on a 5S... and it especially wont happen with your stock exhaust on there creating waaaaaay too much back pressure for a good turbo system. if you are going to spend the money on a turbo kit, why leave your stock exhaust on there? might as well go all the way and finish the whole package... youre gonna need at least 2.5" piping and a good free flowing cat to get thing working well together. to hit 200whp, youre going to probably have to run higher boost than what your normal internals will be able to handle, ie, if you want more powah, get forged internals.
The burien kit with an intercooler added and good tuning ran close to 215whp on stock 5s internals. With proper tuning the engine is entirely capable of this goal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My friends WRX gets 28 mpg. I dont think thats horrible gas milage... Yeah he pays for premium gas, but with 28 mpg, thats really good for the power he has.

Omar

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Robert M said:
and i see that you live on oceanside, so i hope you have or can get a hookup for the smog test because you wont pass with the turbo on there. you can go to the smog ref and get it passed but that cost money and you still have to be within the limits allowed for your car. but if he sees something he doesnt like on your car he will flag it and youd be screwed then.
You Cali people and you're stupid Smog laws:lol:

Yeah if you want to run a Turbo under your Hood you're going to have to change out your Exhaust and get at least 2.5 inch piping, and a good high flow cat.

And why buy another motor when you can rebuild the motor you have now?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My gas mileage blows. I get around 23.7 mpg combined (I havent gone on a nice long road trip to see my hwy milage. A sixth gear sure would be nice) A turbo has the potential to be more gas conscious than a SC since it only kicks in at higher rpm. So as long as your not romping on the gas pedal all the time, it wont be thaaat bad.

I almost want to go back to my parent house and get my ol' 92 corrola and use it as my go getter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well hell.......i already 2.5 inch piping i got that done way back almost when i first got my car a year ago....so that shouldn't be a problem in fact the 2.5 pipes go all the way to the cat so all i'd have to do is get a freeflow or hiflow cat right? what is that like 30 bucks come on guys no problem, and yea whoever it was who said "turbo kicks in at high RPM so just don't stomp it all the time and you'll be fine" they are right if i knew my gas would suck if i kicked it all the time well then duh i would drive it normally, plus i get shitty gas mileage as it is but whatever....now explain to me why do you have to put 91 or 93 octane fuel in just because you have a turbo?

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
If your turbo doesnt kick in until really high RPM, you have an improperly sized turbo for a street car. Who the hell wants to drive around town at a constant 6000rpm?
True, but if you want to save gas,t hen shifting at 2k rpm will still keep you out of boost. No car(well the VAST majority) is going to be making significant boost levels at 2000rpm.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get a small turbo, one that spools up quick, like the turbos audi and vw use on their 1.8T engines. The fat part of the torque curve will come up at pretty low RPM if you dont bolt on a massive blower.

- Paul

·
Current title:
253 Posts
well i dunno the specifics but in terms of gas...u need higher octane for forced induction and s/c for sure

i think its cause the more volume and more dense air requires fuel thats more easily detonated?? don't quote me on that im taking a stab

hence the race cars using 100+ octane or meth/alchol mixes

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
Ikon: you got it backwards. Detonation is what you want to AVOID. Cars want a controlled burn. Higher octanes burn slower, therfore less detonation. A turbo essentially crams more air into the cylinder, and the engine senses this and adds more gas as well. This is a more volatile mixture, so the higher octane gas helps to make up for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts