Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The automatic transmission on my '07 Camry SE just went kaput. It had 170k miles on it. I was hoping to get another 100k out of it. The dealer said it would cost $4300 for a "used, low mileage" transmission, which was way more than I was expecting. We just spent $$2700 on the recommended service (which included replacing the transmission fluid) and having to replace the front left axle, which does me no good now. Therefore, I am posting here to see if anyone else has had to replace their transmission and how much they spent. Something just isn't sitting right with the $4300 quote I was given.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,117 Posts
That quote seems right. What doesn't seem right is $2700 for an AXLE and trans service. Even If the axle cost $1000 and 200 to install there is no way a transmission service cost $1500!!

Was 170K miles the first time the fluid was replaced? If so not much you can do. Fluid has to be replaced. You can try checking eBay or car-part.com for a good used transmission and look for a competent shop to install it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A dealer is about the most expensive place you can have any work done. I'd check local transmission shops or independent garage's. You could also call some salvage yards yourself just to find out the going rate for a used trans.

I sure hope you got a lot more done than just a new axle and fluid change for $2700, that's ridiculous. You could have done the axle yourself for about $100 and an hour of your time.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,117 Posts
A dealer is about the most expensive place you can have any work done. I'd check local transmission shops or independent garage's. You could also call some salvage yards yourself just to find out the going rate for a used trans.

I sure hope you got a lot more done than just a new axle and fluid change for $2700, that's ridiculous. You could have done the axle yourself for about $100 and an hour of your time.
That depends on region. I worked at a Firestone who had a labor rate of 109.95 in 2006. That's a full 17 more than the dealer I worked at and book times were the same. Most of the time the dealer is more expensive is because the parts used. Versus selling a reman master cylinder for 50 bucks you get a brand new Toyota one for 400. The parts quality is usually leaps and bounds above aftermarket but its a gamble some are willing to take. And if we installed an aftermarket part sourced from Napa or Advance Auto it was the same retail price found elsewhere.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get the car towed away from the dealer. They are ripping you off pure and simple.

You got fleeced on the "service" you had done. Here is your chance to not let them screw you again.

Take the car to a reputable local repair shop. You should be able to locate one online easily. Have them find you a decent mileage used transmission and install it. You should be out of there for 2000 or less.

What some dealerships do to their customers is downright criminal. It's OBVIOUS that yours is one of the bad ones.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,117 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get the car towed away from the dealer. They are ripping you off pure and simple.

You got fleeced on the "service" you had done. Here is your chance to not let them screw you again.

Take the car to a reputable local repair shop. You should be able to locate one online easily. Have them find you a decent mileage used transmission and install it. You should be out of there for 2000 or less.

What some dealerships do to their customers is downright criminal. It's OBVIOUS that yours is one of the bad ones.
I think it's less about what "DEALERSHIPS" do as opposed to what some "SHOPS" do. I'm sure most of us have seen the Just Brakes scam and I have heads some crazy stories.

Reactions: plege

·
Registered
124 Posts
That depends on region. I worked at a Firestone who had a labor rate of 109.95 in 2006. That's a full 17 more than the dealer I worked at and book times were the same. Most of the time the dealer is more expensive is because the parts used. Versus selling a reman master cylinder for 50 bucks you get a brand new Toyota one for 400. The parts quality is usually leaps and bounds above aftermarket but its a gamble some are willing to take. And if we installed an aftermarket part sourced from Napa or Advance Auto it was the same retail price found elsewhere.
True, and I'm not really against dealerships, my family (Uncle's) own two of them, started by my Grandfather.

I also understand why they charge so much for repairs, it's how they stay in business. Cars sales are so competitive that they can't make enough to cover all the overhead on just new car sales, with every dealer offering cars below invoice price, margins are low. They rely on used cars and service to make up the difference.

Even though I get a huge discount, I still can't afford to have them do the work, and learned to do most of it myself. Even getting parts at dealer cost, it was cheaper to get those elsewhere too. I've never had any issue with non OEM parts, but I never buy the absolute cheapest brand either.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I think it's less about what "DEALERSHIPS" do as opposed to what some "SHOPS" do. I'm sure most of us have seen the Just Brakes scam and I have heads some crazy stories.
Possibly. Around here it almost impossible to find a shop that won't do the work for about half of the dealership's estimate.

·
イリジウム
13,585 Posts
What recommended service could cost $2700?

170K miles is not too bad if the "lifetime" WS transmission fluid was left in place. Some of the early U660E's die within a few thousand miles. I guess this is what's call a "lifetime" fluid - when the transmission dies, the fluid's served a lifetime. That said, I would service the WS fluid <30-40K miles plus filter.

Locate a few local ATRA Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association member shops and start calling. A typical overhaul kit is about $200-250. See if you can get it rebuilt for $1500-1800 w/ rebuilt converter, plus maybe $500-700 R&R with a 2 year warranty if there are no other problems with valve body, solenoids or hard parts. Typically it's a 1-year warranty but haggle. See if they'll give you 3 years.

$4300 is a dealer ripoff for a junkyard transmission. They already told you, it's a junkyard transmission.

http://www.atra.com/shopfinder

For example, off their web site, look for ones with racing experience, such as:

American Transmission:
http://www.americantransmission.com/transmissions-remanufactured-about.php

G

·
Get the car away from that shop, then if you payed for that $2700 service by credit card, put a claim agasinst it and also file a complaint with the BBB and the state department of automotive repair.

Go too a certified ATRA Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association member shop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2007 Camry V6 Trans went kaput about 6 weeks ago. I noticed whie driving to work one day that I was losing power and I took it to my mechanic, the next day. Fortunately my mechanic's uncle is a xmission man and gave me a break. It cost me $1800.00 for a rebulit xmission and torque converter. I still think that was a high price, but what can you do... Also I found out on 07 camry's the xmissions are sealed which I did not know till this incident and that they are known for after the fact to have problems. Suggestion never go to the dealership for any major repairs. They will rip you off 99.99% of the time.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
yea but i trust the dealer to do it right. I dont feel right takin my cars to generic trans shops or any generic shop for a big repair. period. the last time i did take to a shop was to put a new AC compressor on and they left all 4 mounting screws loose. another one forgot to put the engine cover back on and then threw it away so they didnt have it when i called them the next week saying WTF. maybe other places random shops are just better than the ones by me lol

For any repairs involving trans/drive train/motor issues it goes straight to the dealer. Peace of mind is worth it for me. I just paid $370 at the dealer to get a new CV boot put on bcus the drive shaft had to be taken out of the trans to do the repair. I dont trust generic shops touching anywhere near my trans.

Oh BTW im the same way with alignments...i only take vehicles to the dealer for alignments no matter what

Reactions: plege

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know alot of folks who want piece of mind. I am with you,but with my experience and talking to service reps at the dealership where I purchased my car. They recommended me to go someplace else it is a rip there.Had service at dealership when my car was on warranry,but when it is out of warranty they want to charge for my lft nut and first born... NO WAY. Piece of mind is good but I do not want to pay more than I have to. I work to hard for my moneyI do knot want to pay more than I have to. Gone to the same mechanic since my car passed 100k. No problems so far.....Dealers are good for some things but not for everything....

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
lol haha left nut and first born thats hilarious. yea i definitely get what your saying though.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
yea but i trust the dealer to do it right. I dont feel right takin my cars to generic trans shops or any generic shop for a big repair. period. the last time i did take to a shop was to put a new AC compressor on and they left all 4 mounting screws loose. another one forgot to put the engine cover back on and then threw it away so they didnt have it when i called them the next week saying WTF. maybe other places random shops are just better than the ones by me lol

For any repairs involving trans/drive train/motor issues it goes straight to the dealer. Peace of mind is worth it for me. I just paid $370 at the dealer to get a new CV boot put on bcus the drive shaft had to be taken out of the trans to do the repair. I dont trust generic shops touching anywhere near my trans.

Oh BTW im the same way with alignments...i only take vehicles to the dealer for alignments no matter what
You are the kind of Koolaid drinking customer dealers dream about. :thumbsup:

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
haha hey, they keep doing what they need to do, i'll keep paying their costs.

but you've heard only 2 of my stories i have lol. the AC compressor being loose i drove around with a rattle at 1500-2000 rpms for 2 weeks. Took it back to them 3 times. they told me it was spark pang, this, that, tried to tell me i wasnt running premium fuel, etc. By not taking it to the dealer i saved only $400 and dealt with 2 weeks of headaches and worrying

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Well... for every crappy shop out there, there is a quality one. It pays to look around. I'm just yanking your chain a bit though. :lol:

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
your 100% right, i just havent been able to find any. I'm that dude that knows how easy all these jobs are, can do a good amount but sometimes dont feel like it and just pay out the a$$ anyways...its only money, right???:clap:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
For every good dealer, there are plenty of hack dealers.

Had a coworker that needed a t-belt done, gave him a print out of parts needed on this 100k 9 year old vehicle. Advised him to check with parts dept to make sure all is in stock. So, this high quality Lincoln/Smithfield RI Toyota dealer did the timing belt(>$1100) and didn't bother changing the idler/tensioner pulleys, or the cam/crank seals. Another neighbor had the same issue with the RT37 Toyota dealer in Warwick where I went in and forced the dealer to redo the job for FREE with ALL the parts requested or face a lawsuit. Currently advising neighbor to do the same with that Lincoln/Smithfield dealer. Hacks!

I'll stick with self service when possible, or a good indie that follows directions. Dealership experience seems to have service writers, and managers, trying to get away with charging you too much for as little work as required.

I also hope that you take a non-dealer approach to future ATF maintenance. There is no reason that a transmission should fail before 300k if it is properly maintained. Seems to me that you're paying the dealer too much for too little, guarantying them with future big repairs out of your wallet. Enjoy paying them. I won't.

PT Barnum is often credited for that saying....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts