Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about (and drive) an SE, and the differences between it and an XLE or Limited,
* Relating specifically to the better handling it has?

I think I’ve read it has better springs,coils. Not sure about this.

Is it worth getting an SE, or is it really not that much better than an XLE ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone know about (and drive) an SE, and the differences between it and an XLE or Limited,
* Relating specifically to the better handling it has?

I think I’ve read it has better springs,coils. Not sure about this.

Is it worth getting an SE, or is it really not that much better than an XLE ?

I drove an SE first before getting my XLE. The SE was sold by the time I came back to the dealer. Get the SE if you can. 19 wheels vs 18's on the XLE, cooler seats, better suspension and a few other niceties. I checked the suspension (struts, springs, and a few other parts) P/N's between them and the SE's are different than the XLE (fact). I honestly didn't compare them on the same day however, so I can't recall how different they drove. Still feel the SE is a better way to go but they are hard to find.

Thank me later. ;)

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove an SE first before getting my XLE. The SE was sold by the time I came back to the dealer. Get the SE if you can. 19 wheels vs 18's on the XLE, cooler seats, better suspension and a few other niceties. I checked the suspension (struts, springs, and a few other parts) P/N's between them and the SE's are different than the XLE (fact). I honestly didn't compare them on the same day however, so I can't recall how different they drove. Still feel the SE is a better way to go but they are hard to find.

Thank me later. ;)
Thanks for that!

Not getting one anytime soon, but just doing research at the moment. Will likely get a used one, that’s a couple years old, but we’ll see. As of right now there’s 8 within a 150 km radius, ranging from $38-49k, with varying mileage.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If handling is a big deal just get a Mazda CX9. Once you get below 60 aspect ratio tires, a lot of the cushion will be lost from the tire affecting ride quality and slightly increasing chances of side wall punctures and pothole wheel damage, 19 inch wheels probably means less selection of tires to choose from. I don't think the highlander is much value beyond the XLE trim. It is typical Toyota, rather simplistic in a lot of ways and trying to go more sporty or luxurious is chasing a rainbow.This link may help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for that!

Not getting one anytime soon, but just doing research at the moment. Will likely get a used one, that’s a couple years old, but we’ll see. As of right now there’s 8 within a 150 km radius, ranging from $38-49k, with varying mileage.

FYI related to this topic. Seems like any forum, there's commentary and opinions, so take them for what they are worth I suppose. I don't do road courses myself and rely on my seat of the pants feel when driving. One thing I'll say about the HL FWD is that the engine sure is impressive, but man, I can spin those fronts without even trying! I just came off an AWD MDX so I forgot what 2WD front drive is all about, but the engine is so good on the HL that I'm good. The AWD HL that I drove was like driving a boat in comparison. That was an instant turnoff over the 2WD HL.

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If handling is a big deal just get a Mazda CX9. Once you get below 60 aspect ratio tires, a lot of the cushion will be lost from the tire affecting ride quality and slightly increasing chances of side wall punctures and pothole wheel damage, 19 inch wheels probably means less selection of tires to choose from. I don't think the highlander is much value beyond the XLE trim. It is typical Toyota, rather simplistic in a lot of ways and trying to go more sporty or luxurious is chasing a rainbow.This link may help.
CX9 is a nice vehicle, that I was considering, but it’s too narrow for me. It’s tight, just sitting in it. I did not even take it for a spin, as I was simply not comfortable.
I checked out the article above, and it doesn’t even mention the suspension upgrades on the SE,
But thanks for your help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is the difference between the Highlander XLE and SE?

The SE trim is very similar to the XLE trim but adds a sporty twist. Added features include 19-inch alloy wheels, upgraded LED daytime running lights, painted roof rails, LED ambient lighting, leather-trimmed interior accents, a sport-tuned suspension, and sporty interior trim.

Sport-tuned independent MacPherson strut front suspension; sport-tuned double-wishbone style multi-link rear suspension

Rear-seat Blu-ray Disc™ entertainment system with 9-in. display, RCA jacks, remote and two wireless headphones67

Nightshade Edition — black badging, black window trim, black exterior door handles, black rear spoiler, black antenna, black rear Toyota emblem, black side mirror caps, black trunk garnish, black lug nuts, coordinated red-stitched carpeted floor mats81

Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with turn signal lights and blind spot warning indicators,83 and folding features

19-in. multi-spoke alloy wheels with black finish and black center caps with P245/55R19 105S tires

LED Black sport accent taillights and stop lights

·
Registered
669 Posts
SE and Nightshade are really just appearance packages. Tuned suspension LOL. 19 inch wheels, like why? They sell only a few of these versions, they are just for marketing. Bread and butter are LE and maybe XLE. If someone is interested in this vehicle, drive the LE and see if they like it, because that is the basic truth of it, if they don't like the way it drives then spending money on the limited platinum or whatever won't make the vehicle better. I see so many on this forum buying the upper trim of the vehicle then being disappointed in the basic vehicle.Same with the pickup trucks if a buyer doesn't like the SR5 they probably will be disappointed in the TRD pro.

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments,
But I am asking specifically about Handling on the SE.

So from what I gather, the SE has 19 in wheels &
Sport-tuned independent MacPherson strut front suspension; sport-tuned double-wishbone style multi-link rear suspension.

Now I do realize it’s an SUV and not a sports car, but it will be my daily driver, so I’d like at least some decent handling, versus a mushy ride. That’s why I’m asking about handling.

We currently have a ‘14 Corolla S (keeper), and I mainly drive a ‘15 Forester 2.5. Looking to replace the Forester with a HIghlander. I test drove an LE and liked the size/space, power/feel overall,
But looking for a stiffer, more planted ride - hoping the SE will provide that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lol. Thanks for the laugh, man. Do you always drive on gravel roads?
Not sure what humors you? I live in California....You know, that state with lots of hills and mountains. All it takes is a bit of weigh transfer off the front and the frt wheels spin easily when accelerating. Just like our 2001 HL did. I am coming off an AWD MDX and the difference is numbing. But this engine is far better by a long shot and no more turbo lag! The HL also cruises at HW speeds with ease - even with a motorcycle attached to the hitch. Very impressive.

LMK if you need video proof since you seem to suggest that I'm telling fairy tales.

·
Registered
669 Posts
FYI related to this topic. Seems like any forum, there's commentary and opinions, so take them for what they are worth I suppose. I don't do road courses myself and rely on my seat of the pants feel when driving. One thing I'll say about the HL FWD is that the engine sure is impressive, but man, I can spin those fronts without even trying! I just came off an AWD MDX so I forgot what 2WD front drive is all about, but the engine is so good on the HL that I'm good. The AWD HL that I drove was like driving a boat in comparison. That was an instant turnoff over the 2WD HL.

I can believe the wheelspin under certain conditions, nearly 300 hp thru the front wheels is a lot, that is one of the benefits of AWD in these vehicles , efficiently getting the power down recently drove a FWD 170hp rav4 in the wet and broke traction of the line , never happens in an AWD.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts