Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Found this Review on the SE. I Like it! Talks about Handling!
(Man, reviews in general are totally based in the reviewer, and their perspective) Anyway, this seems like a fair review on this HL SE.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Found this Review on the SE. I Like it! Talks about Handling!
(Man, reviews in general are totally based in the reviewer, and their perspective) Anyway, this seems like a fair review on this HL SE.
This moron reviewer actually thought the highlander would be worse than the pilot and mdx, the only thing positive I can say about the guy is that he sort of accepted the reality that yes Toyota is better, hilarious. How does someone who knows so little about cars do reviews?

·
Registered
19 Posts
We drove both the SE and XLE. The SE definitely rides a little more firm, probably mostly due to the tires and possibly a little to do with the suspension components being different. I thought the XLE was too soft. We bought the SE and love it. The extra appearance features in the SE are nice, especially if you get the car in white (contrast) or black (blends). My wife also hated the brown accent on the storage under the ratio in an otherwise all black interior on the XLE - it is all black on the SE.

Drive both and see what you think. You could also drive a Mazda CX-9 if you are looking for a really sporty vehicle, but those are even smaller than the Highlander and IMO the interior isn't designed as well for storage and such.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wally

For the SE version you purchased was it this one mentioned below? Or did yours simply have the 19" wheels with the enhanced suspension

Nightshade Edition — black badging, black window trim, black exterior door handles, black rear spoiler, black antenna, black rear Toyota emblem, black side mirror caps, black trunk garnish, black lug nuts, coordinated red-stitched carpeted floor mats81

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wally

For the SE version you purchased was it this one mentioned below? Or did yours simply have the 19" wheels with the enhanced suspension

Nightshade Edition — black badging, black window trim, black exterior door handles, black rear spoiler, black antenna, black rear Toyota emblem, black side mirror caps, black trunk garnish, black lug nuts, coordinated red-stitched carpeted floor mats81
We did not get the nightshade package. The SE comes with 19 inch wheels and the suspension upgrade regardless of other options. The nightshade package is only an appearance package that makes all the trim on the vehicle black. Regular SE still has a bit of chrome, such as around the windows, even though it does make much of the trim black (interior of headlights, roof rails, trim under radio, rims, etc). IMO nightshade is not worth the extra $700 if you have a choice (inventory is now low on most trims except XLE and Limited).

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We drove both the SE and XLE. The SE definitely rides a little more firm, probably mostly due to the tires and possibly a little to do with the suspension components being different. I thought the XLE was too soft. We bought the SE and love it. The extra appearance features in the SE are nice, especially if you get the car in white (contrast) or black (blends). My wife also hated the brown accent on the storage under the ratio in an otherwise all black interior on the XLE - it is all black on the SE.

Drive both and see what you think. You could also drive a Mazda CX-9 if you are looking for a really sporty vehicle, but those are even smaller than the Highlander and IMO the interior isn't designed as well for storage and such.
Thanks Wally! Exactly what I was looking for on the SE !

(Btw, tried the CX9 and it was too small and fit too tight for me).

·
Limited
1,664 Posts
This moron reviewer actually thought the highlander would be worse than the pilot and mdx, the only thing positive I can say about the guy is that he sort of accepted the reality that yes Toyota is better, hilarious. How does someone who knows so little about cars do reviews?
What makes you think he is doing reviews for morons like you?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I watched this review.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Wally,
I agree with you. We we chose SE for the blacked rims/ grill and larger wheels. We did NOT want the limited trims because of all the chrome.

We did test drive the CX-9 and It was a blast to drive. Was not nearly as practical as the Highlander as far as storage/USB connections.

The only draw back i see to the 2019 Highlander is the outdated E-tune system, which is easily resolved with Aftermarket Options

·
Registered
673 Posts
What makes you think he is doing reviews for morons like you?
What do you know anyway, never seen a constructive comment from you ever.. Why would the guy go into review with an announced preconceived opinion that is based on nothing, ok perhaps the MDX being a luxury market suv he could think was better, but the pilot being a direct competitor, that is a stupid assumption based on maybe driving a pilot first and nothing more.

·
Limited
1,664 Posts
[screams of butthurt] blah, blah, blah
I know you passing judgement on someone else doing more than what you are doing is NOT "constructive". The guy likely does not do reviews for you, or other know it all punks. He does reviews for people that rely on reviews because they do not have the knowledge to make an informed decision without someone telling what they need to know, which is clearly not for you because you know it all.

Here is a "constructive comment" for you. Do not refer to someone you don't know as a moron if you cannot handle being called a moron from someone you do not know. 👌

50 more shopping days until Christmas 🎅

·
Registered
673 Posts
I know you passing judgement on someone else doing more than what you are doing is NOT "constructive". The guy likely does not do reviews for you, or other know it all punks. He does reviews for people that rely on reviews because they do not have the knowledge to make an informed decision without someone telling what they need to know, which is clearly not for you because you know it all.

Here is a "constructive comment" for you. Do not refer to someone you don't know as a moron if you cannot handle being called a moron from someone you do not know. 👌

50 more shopping days until Christmas 🎅
Says the guy that edits someone else's posts, that is hilarious, that guy in the video is trying to make money from youtube, that's ok but when someone is doing that it is suggesting a fair amount of expertise and the video contains quite a few erroneous assumptions, the only good thing about it is it showcases some of the vehicles "all road capability" and for this reason I posted it a few months ago myself, but even with that, the SE version would not be the best, as the lower profile tires and stiffer suspension would detract for it's rough road capability and yet no real focus on the vehicles handling to suggest that the sports package is advantageous.

Punk has gotta punk you understand?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a 2017 SE. I bought it used, so the extra money for the SE vs XLE was not much more, plus I liked the rims and overall appearance of the SE. I test drove LE Plus and XLE. I remember them having softer suspension and more body lean in the corners like on a freeway ramp. The SE felt tighter to me and I was coming from a sportier Mazda, so I bought the SE.

However, even with the SE suspension tuning and lower-profile tires, the Highlander is still a big, floaty box. It's heavy and sits high off the ground, so it generally doesn't handle great. If you live in an area with rougher, frost-heaved roads, a non-SE Highlander might be a better choice. The SE doesn't soak up bumps on gravel roads very well either.

Generally, I find the Highlander terrible for tight turns like city driving. It's the opposite of zippy. But on the highway, the Highlander shines more because it's a comfortable cruiser and can take wide-sweeping turns pretty nicely. Compared to its competitors, I get the feeling the Highlander is the worst handling vehicle in it's class. But possibly the most reliable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
XLE vs XSE suspension performance.
In a Subaru XV a 16mm rear torsion bar made this suv a relax drive off road and a bit insecure at highway speeds. With a 20mm rear torsion bar it vehicle feels so secure on turning corners and at higher speeds.
In new Toyota Camry rear torsion bars work this way in three different version
Sway bars.
LE 24.9mm Rear
SE 25.4mm Rear
TRD 27.0 mm Rear
From this you can estimate how stiff can be one over the other. At least on Camrys

·
Gman_yota
‘14 Corolla S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
XLE vs XSE suspension performance.
In a Subaru XV a 16mm rear torsion bar made this suv a relax drive off road and a bit insecure at highway speeds. With a 20mm rear torsion bar it vehicle feels so secure on turning corners and at higher speeds.
In new Toyota Camry rear torsion bars work this way in three different version
Sway bars.
LE 24.9mm Rear
SE 25.4mm Rear
TRD 27.0 mm Rear
From this you can estimate how stiff can be one over the other. At least on Camrys
Thanks
Ya I get all that, having been on the Subaru forums for the past ...many years. Was going to upgrade my Forester until the whole cvt recall, and other issues I’ve had. Last straw.

*Long story short - was looking at a RAV4, but have now switched to the Highlander, (fits our needs much better) and leaning towards an SE, because I like “that” kind of handling. :)

I used to have a Corolla XRS, 5MT, with tight solid planted handling - loved that car.
Anyway, the Highlander is next.(Yes I do realize the HL is an SUV, and will handle accordingly, but the SE seems to be the way to go - for me).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thanks
Ya I get all that, having been on the Subaru forums for the past ...many years. Was going to upgrade my Forester until the whole cvt recall, and other issues I’ve had. Last straw.

*Long story short - was looking at a RAV4, but have now switched to the Highlander, (fits our needs much better) and leaning towards an SE, because I like “that” kind of handling. :)

I used to have a Corolla XRS, 5MT, with tight solid planted handling - loved that car.
Anyway, the Highlander is next.(Yes I do realize the HL is an SUV, and will handle accordingly, but the SE seems to be the way to go - for me).
I wouldn't worry to much about your expectation of handing as the corolla is not an enthusiasts vehicle in any form, so not much of a benchmark really. The highlander is a heavy 4600 lb SUV based on the previous model Camry platform , so with the extra weight and high center of gravity it handles like a truck, a very nice and polite truck, SE has lower profile tires and suspension tune which would tighten it up a bit at the expense of some extra low speed harshness I suspect. It will not handle anywhere near as good as a RAV4, I have owned 5 RAV4s so I know( purely down to weight), but the Highlander in most respects is so much better than a RAV4 it is almost like they were made by a different manufacturer, if you want a guarantee of better handling and must have a highlander get the 2020 as it is on the TNGA platform so will have greater body rigidity to let the suspension do its thing and will handle in base trim better than the current SE. Test drive the new RAV4 for handling ,add in the effects of the extra highlander weight and extra refinement and that will be the 2020.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts