Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the sticker of the JBL upgrade, it has a 8 speaker setup. Mine currently has the 6 since I chose not to get the upgrade. As I was finally installing my speakers into my door, I kinda noticed that there is no room for a midbass in the door. So I'm wondering where the other 2 pairs of speakers would go? Is it a 3-way setup or am I missing something??

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Eight speakers in six locations usually means a mid in the door, in the Gen 6 this is a 6x9, a tweeter somewhere, in the dash on Gen 6, and a coaxial speaker in the rear shelf. Since the coaxial speaker technically has two drivers, it makes a total of 8 speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
touringcamry said:
Eight speakers in six locations usually means a mid in the door, in the Gen 6 this is a 6x9, a tweeter somewhere, in the dash on Gen 6, and a coaxial speaker in the rear shelf. Since the coaxial speaker technically has two drivers, it makes a total of 8 speakers.
Yes, the rear shelf speaker(s) are actually wired independantly from the JBL amplifier so it is really two speakers in one location more than just a standard coaxial speaker set up.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
wireless said:
Yes, the rear shelf speaker(s) are actually wired independantly from the JBL amplifier so it is really two speakers in one location more than just a standard coaxial speaker set up.
This I did not know. I thought it was like the front components that came on my Gen 4 Camry. The speakers were wired in parallel to the head unit and the tweeter had a capaciter to act as a high pass filter. But the mid did not have any filter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that makes more sense! I'm probably gonna just unhook the rears and make a front soundstage setup or may just use the rears as rear-fill. Haven't decided. I've noticed by leaving the stock tweeters and mounting my tweeters, it keeps the soundstage up more than the stock which i like better. The speakers that came OEM were POS! hahaha. Also debating whether i should keep the stock amp to run the rears?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
nj0ywatch1np0rn said:
that makes more sense! I'm probably gonna just unhook the rears and make a front soundstage setup or may just use the rears as rear-fill. Haven't decided. I've noticed by leaving the stock tweeters and mounting my tweeters, it keeps the soundstage up more than the stock which i like better. The speakers that came OEM were POS! hahaha. Also debating whether i should keep the stock amp to run the rears?
They aren't MB Quarts...but far from POS, IMNSHO. If you truly want to control the sound stage location (which is understandable) then install a system that properly locates the sound position you desire by speaker position based on freq. response. Also use an audiophile quality EQ and active crossover with at least 18-24 dB/octave response. If you plan on utilizing the factory JBL amp, might I recommend a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2. It's an interactive signal processor that has 6 speaker level inputs and 6 pre-amp inputs, offers 153 bands of equalization control, has 24 dB/octave crossovers, on board DSP and even allows you to interface via bluetooth with a Palm OS device for remote adjustments. I think they retail for about $600. Not cheap, but true audiophile sound never is.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, for the fronts i'm running a pair of Scanspeak Revelators with Supremo tweets connected to a CDT x-over. They will be running off a USAMPS 400X. Probably gonna run off the OEM headunit using the JL cleansweep. But may run my old Alpine 9815. But still debating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts