Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several posts about the wonders of Sea Foam, so I thought what the heck. I bought a can and ran half through various vacuum lines on my '86 22RE Runner. Blew lots of smoke for a little while and then was back to normal.
I was trying to rid my machine of a little stutter it has when accelerating from a dead start. Other than that it runs pretty good.
Well, 2 days later I added the other 1/2 can to my 1/2 tank of gas. That is when the trouble began. Seems as if I am losing pressure in my fuel rail. I must crank the engine for about 15 seconds before it will sputter to a start. Once started, it is back to normal and I can shut it off then restart it with a 1 second crank like it used to be.
Any ideas where to start looking for where the Sea Foam may have caused a seal to leak or could it have caused 1 of the injectors to start leaking (and how would I diagnose that).
Sorry about the long post, BUT let the buyer beware. Now I have 2 problems.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Is it ok to put that stuff in your gas? I thought it was only supposed to go directly into the engine? Just wondering...

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
It's good for the gas or oil. SeaFoam is not the cure-all that everyone makes it out to be. If you're still having those problems then have a good mechanic look at it and get it fixed.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't buy an old truck to have a mechanic look at it. :disappoin
You save on the labor costs, replace 2 to 3 times the parts required to do the job, and get the satisfaction of doing the job yourself.:lol:
I'll let you know when I find the problem.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll be checking it out in the morning and will pull the plugs also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have spent a lot of years in the parts business and i swaer by sea foam. this is the first time i have ever herd anything like this. i run it directly inot my fuel system liek you did and have never had any problems. sounds liek u might have has someting flatig around in the fuel system and mabey the sea foam might hav loosened it up and now pluging an injector.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally ran my tank completely empty and filled back up with premium gas (have always used regular) and it is now back to starting on the 1st crank. Don't know what the deal was because I used a concentration that was lower than recommended. Anyways, my SeaFoam experience wasn't delightful and I did not see any performance changes now that it is back to normal starting.

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
sound to me like you got a tank of bad gas.
mine new truck sputter putted once on me went to premium and thought that was the cure. I now just dont put in bottom barrel gas. Put in good regular stuff. Your engine isn't made for premium fuel. put in cheveron or mobil 87

·
bone city
07,DBL SB SWB
24 Posts
I would not put it in my vehicle.Might put it in my weed whacker, if someone forced me at gun point. IMO:thumbdown

·
Registered
2001 Toyota Tacoma
9 Posts
Sea foam bad for oldies

Never, ever use sea foam for old engines. It's too strong for old engines that have it held together by all that gunk. I would only use it on 90+ cars.

·
<< Moving Forward
10 Posts
+1. I ran a can through my 90 Nissan 240sx that had good compression. Shortly after I started losing compression, and eventually my engine. The best we could come up with is that the Sea Foam broke the oil seal around the 17 year old rings. That stuff isn't going anywhere near my truck.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
Never, ever use sea foam for old engines. .
Well put my good man!!! Don't try to "save" an old old old engine with the stuff... IMO, for maintenance only.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have spent a lot of years in the parts business and i swaer by sea foam. this is the first time i have ever herd anything like this. i run it directly inot my fuel system liek you did and have never had any problems. sounds liek u might have has someting flatig around in the fuel system and mabey the sea foam might hav loosened it up and now pluging an injector.
i used seafoam for my 2001 toy taco w/ 140k on it... i just did it because i wanted to try it... couldn't tell if it ran better or not, i felt like it made it a little smoother.. i have a video too here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6og8q9pk4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts