Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Avalon XLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2000 Toyota Camry has over 185xxx miles. Should I use some SeaFoam fuel additive? The car runs fine, I just imagine there is quite a bit of carbon build up with it being a high mileage car. Thoughts?

·
6,491 Posts
Yes, please.
Via oil, 2 cans at the time, oil change in 200 miles, 2 more cans, oil change, 2 more cans, new filter and new good oil.
I am finalizing this on my inlaw Corolla tomorrow.
Using Seafoam since 2003, always to the best results.
After that, prime fuel system with Seafoam, can per tankful, for 2-3 tanks.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Avalon XLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, please.
Via oil, 2 cans at the time, oil change in 200 miles, 2 more cans, oil change, 2 more cans, new filter and new good oil.
I am finalizing this on my inlaw Corolla tomorrow.
Using Seafoam since 2003, always to the best results.
After that, prime fuel system with Seafoam, can per tankful, for 2-3 tanks.
Thanks for the advice! I think I will do that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Before I used that much seafoam, especially in the oil, id get a second or third opinion. I'm not saying hes wrong but id investigate sone more.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
403 Posts
Key question: what are you trying to achieve?

If the engine runs fine, and has no issues, there's every likelihood that it doesn't need to be cleaned inside.
There's certainly an argument for "well, cleaning something that is already clean won't hurt it, so why not?", which is true. In that case its only money.

I have 2 Camry V6 engines here, both with 200k miles on them, neither had any special treatment throughout their lives other than regular oil changes (and one never had its PCV changed even once). They are both clean as a whistle inside (when in doubt, remove the valve cover to look).

Now, a recently purchased used car's engine with signs of neglect, or (shudder) sludge buildup, clean away, for sure. Just saying that it might not be needed if everything else checks out fine.

The way to remove all doubt is to have the oil analyzed. Then, with that result, decide. Be a good idea to then have the oil tested again after the treatment, to see what difference it made.

Norm

·
6,491 Posts
I just imagine there is quite a bit of carbon build up with it being a high mileage car.

As example, my inlaw Corolla, that I mentioned, "runs fine". Drinks oil but, otherwise, "runs fine". Always serviced at dealer, with only regular BS recommended maintenance.
160 000 miles.
Runs fine till I did pressure check on it, to find out that it's around 65-85 instead of 150-170. Plus, plugs are toasted with build up on them.
But, yes, runs fine. As in - moves, gets to FWY speeds, no problems. Obvious.
So I started my Seafoam program on it. Even to my surprise, inlaw wife, totally lay mechanically, even she noticed that car started running better right away.
I'll check compression after tomorrow's last oil change.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,771 Posts
Same here. Chevron and Mobil 1/Pennzoil full synthetic all the time. When snake oil is cheap, like free after rebate, I did dump some into fuel tank. I'd rather use full synthetic oil to clean up the gunk than seafoam. A safer approach to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm doing a Seafoam piston soak through the spark plug tubes soon enough and will post a video. Have been worried about buildup on the piston rings recently after using Lucas Engine Stop Leak - which worked good but I imagine putting glue in your engine isn't that great for it. Planning on doing several rounds of soaks so I can have squeaky-clean piston rings! Also putting some in the fuel and oil and doing some driving around.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,947 Posts
Lol. Save your money.

Just sent relative's 340K-mile original injectors out for before-and-after flow testing (with cleaning). Car is '99 5S-FE Camry, when something broke, they had it fixed, otherwise just oil changes and whatever 87-octane was cheapest (Arco, Valero for some reason, and nowadays only Costco). No snake oil, ever. Worst injector was within 2cc of new, which went to 1cc of new after cleaning (I suspect there's a margin of error there). Intake valves looked great because, you know, that's THE NATURE OF PORT-INJECTED ENGINES that wash intake valves continually in fuel.

BTW, SeaFoam is like 95% isopropyl, so maybe just borrow some of that from your medicine cabinet and dump it in the tank, same effect ("effect").

Piston soaks? Unless they're defective or have taken damage from overheating or being run low on oil, these engines don't burn oil due to piston rings. I've done piston soaks before on engines that actually had such problems, but I used stuff that actually does something: aminated cleaners like ACDelco X66P (BTW, every single dealership in the area, whether GM or otherwise, used this for piston soaks). That has somehow gone off the market and been replaced by some BS, but what BMW rebadges for use in decarbonizing their direct-injection engines (direct-injection, which CARBONS UP INTAKE VALVES BECAUSE THE FUEL IS BYPASSING THEM), seems to be the exact same stuff in the exact same measured-pour "Sta-bil-type bottle" but with a BMW label on it. Also, anything that decarbonizes is going to strip lubrication. Which is why the professional products such as X66P warn to remove it from the cylinders and do an oil change to get as much of it out as possible.

You know what actually cleans carbon and oil grime really well? Like, you will see it working well? Purple Power. It's about $7/gal of concentrate at Home Depot or wherever. Take off your throttle body, IAC, EGR valve, EGR tube, whatever, and dump Purple Power diluted 4:1 in. Also do the same thing with SeaFoam. Let's see which one makes you happier.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE
33 Posts
I'm glad to see InsightBrewery weighing in on this. I have been following him ever since I joined and he seems to have his shit in one bag.

My feeling (and this is non-scientific) on fuel injection cleaners is I don't use them. I used to use the Lucas fuel injection cleaner, 1 bottle in the fuel tank every time I filled up and then I started reading articles that indicated that the fuel makers do a good job of putting cleaning additives in their fuels and adding more additives/cleaners could potentially damage the fuel injectors and other fuel system components. I have never used Seafoam, everything I hear about it is telling me it is very strong and harsh and my car is doing fine and I don't want to upset the apple cart so to speak. I use a top tier fuel every time I fill up either Shell or Wawa. Where I used to live we had QuikTrip but not where I am living now. With 261,000 miles on my car it seems to be doing fine. Plenty of pick up and on my last road trip I got an honest 40 MPG and yes sports fans you read that right 40 MPG so I figure I am doing something right.

·
Registered
2008 Solara
27 Posts
Give you my recent experience: 2008 Solara V-6, 190K miles was running fine, but I decided to add bottle of Techron. Suddenly had rougher idle and fuel milage (Which I measure on a regular basis) went down about 15%. Tried another bottle, no improvement, so tried can of KB44, still no improvement. It was driving me nuts, and I love the car, so spent $250 for a complete Fuel system cleanup with oil change. Finally, the car is back to running as good as when I started, minus the $300 I spent. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wife's 2000 Toyota Camry has over 185xxx miles. Should I use some SeaFoam fuel additive? The car runs fine, I just imagine there is quite a bit of carbon build up with it being a high mileage car. Thoughts?
My 1998 Camry V-6 has 212,000 miles. I never use seafoam and don't need to. I never used fuel additves.Nothing will prevent carbon build up in the throttle body. For my car that is an easy fix. If your doing strict regular 3000 miles oil changes do nothing more. I have been using full synthetic which could possibly extend engine life but really not necessary. With high mileage it is not a good idea to switch to synthetic anyway. It could create unwanted oil leaks. I know firsthand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 1998 Camry V-6 has 212,000 miles. I never use seafoam and don't need to. I never used fuel additves.Nothing will prevent carbon build up in the throttle body. For my car that is an easy fix. If your doing strict regular 3000 miles oil changes do nothing more. I have been using full synthetic which could possibly extend engine life but really not necessary. With high mileage it is not a good idea to switch to synthetic anyway. It could create unwanted oil leaks. I know firsthand.
I'm with all the others on here following the, 'if ain't broke...don't fix it' mantra. You said it yourself right after your question: "The car runs fine..." Are you trying to make it run 'finer'?! If so, I don't get it, nor do I imagine you'll succeed. These cars run forever with good gasoline (meaning top tier) and good oil. That's all you need! Be thankful you own one of these gems and that it's treating you well. Let your mind rest at ease and stop 'imagining' nasty stuff inside that engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Modern engines with computer controlled engine management just don't build up carbon like those carbureted ones of the past did. A bottle of Techron should do the job you want. Take a look at your sparkplugs to see if there is any fouling- there probably isn't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts