Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I saw a bunch of black dried crud around the PCV valve and spread onto the rear valve cover. Methinks it's the PCV valve that maybe clogged. I'm going to replace the PCV valve, but some guy on another forum told me he did this to remove any minor sludge buildup in the process.

1. (with engine on)remove the hose from the pcv valve and suck up 1/3 can of seafoam, to help clean the pcv vacuum system of any buildup.
  2. pour 1/3 can of seafoam into crankcase.
  3. pour 1/3 can of seafoam into gas tank.
  4. drive the car on highway or backroad until smoke stops.
  5. perform oil change.
Does this work??

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Some grime in the hose is normal.

Suggest you use a spray can of throttle body cleaner to clean the hose. You can remove the hose to do this.

Seafoan is mostly a light oil. This is what you would see coming out the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
removed the PCV valve, and I was not surprised by what I saw, no rattling when shaken, and some pretty nasty crud all over it too. The grommet was as hard as a damn brick!!! I lost it in the valve cover a few times, but was ultimately able to fish it out with a coat hanger hook. I'm seriously thinking I have an issue with sludge, even though I'v'e changed my oil every 3,000 miles... this is some Bulls!#t right here!!!

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/jugdhiss/?action=view&current=CIMG1325.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I used the sea foam I got it in through the brake booster vacuum hose. I also added some to the oil about 500 miles before an oil change. However, I have no clue if I have sludge or not. Mine runs fine, unless it sits for more than a week and a half without being started, at which time it will really smoke for a couple of minutes.

People love and swear by Sea Foam.

Your other option that some people swear by is the AutoRX stuff, but its much more expensive.

I did run a bottle of it through too, but never have gotten around to taking a valve cover off to see what I have inside the engine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I used the sea foam I got it in through the brake booster vacuum hose. I also added some to the oil about 500 miles before an oil change. However, I have no clue if I have sludge or not. Mine runs fine, unless it sits for more than a week and a half without being started, at which time it will really smoke for a couple of minutes.

People love and swear by Sea Foam.

Your other option that some people swear by is the AutoRX stuff, but its much more expensive.

I did run a bottle of it through too, but never have gotten around to taking a valve cover off to see what I have inside the engine.
I do exactly what you do 2 times a year. Seafaom thru the brake booster, i put deep creep into the TB and i put 8oz of seafoam into my oil

But i only run the seafoam in the oil for 250 miles.

Now tonight i just changed my valve cover gaskets. Wow my cams and the surronding internal parts were soooooooooo clean. I looks like i took a brand new qt oif oil and just poured it all in...

Remember guys, Seafoam is as harmful to your motor as water is to your skin. Seafoam is petroluem based and so is oil.

So seafoam will not hurt anything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts