Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SEAFOAM? is this good stuff?...everyone is buying this stuff telling me that its good stuff to clean your engine, such as cleaning up carbon in your car...?

so is it good...? is it worth it?

thanks for the help...

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,069 Posts
brink said:
I used it to clear some of the sludge buildup in my motor last fall. Judging by how much it cut down, I'd say it's good stuff

It's essentially kerosene, from what I understand.
Alcohol, Naptha, and pale oil from MSDS's

Cleaning carbon in combustion chamber is easy.

On intake plenum there is a rubber cap that seals a hose connection. Take that off add a piece of rubber hose (3/8" )

Now take a thin straw from a can of WD-40 or similar and fit it into hose end using some tape.

Take a cup and fill it with Sea Foam, clean ATF, aerosol can of combustion chamber cleaner from NAPA or a dealership parts counter, or my favourite:rolleyes:, plain water.

Start engine and use the straw to sip water into running engine a little at a time, and the carbon will be blown off by the steam generated shock. Do not feed too much liquid at a time or you may get hydrolock.
That is the reason a thin straw is put there.

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Heh, yeah I once sprayed some cleaner into my running engine at a buddy's suggestion. I'm sittin there revving the motor as he's spraying into the intake. It almost dies a couple times, but it keeps going.

Later he said, yeah you don't want to let it die on you, cause you can hydrolock the engine. I was sort of pissed at him for not telling me that... 'course, if I'd been thinking I would've realized that fact right off the bat :hammer:

When I used seafoam though, I actually poured the recommended amount (viz the bottle) into the crank and just let it run for a week and a half

·
vw owner ;)
30 Posts
Napa is supposed to have seafoam. Honda and GM make something called "Top Engine Cleaner." I used ATF in the intake, b12 chemtool in the crankcase. Lots of smoke generated... Idle seems smoother - seems to have helped.

Just make sure you change your plugs and oil afterwards.

Allan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seafoam is a great product. Just used 2 bottles in my 93 4cyl. Half a bottle circulated though the intake by sucking it up with the brake booster vacuum hose. Half a bottle in the crankcase, and a whole bottle in the gas tank.

After 700 miles change the oil and enjoy a much more quiet engine with smoother idle.

I have heard plain water is just as good through the intake. But you can hydrolock if you're not careful to use just a little at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts