Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! Anyone on here use seafoam on their Camry? I've heard nothing but good stuff about it from friends who have used it on their vehicles. My g/f has a 4 cyl 98 Camry with 124k miles on it and it's a little sluggish. I was thinking of doing the seafoam thing but wanted to see what kind of results other camry owners had with it.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
what's seafoam?? and what can it be used for??
Seafoam is an engine cleaner, gets rid of all the scratches, restores compression and cleans the chambers to an extent. You put it in the oil... I've heard its good stuff, but the one time i tried it, i coocked the engine the first time... probably just coincedence tho...

·
The Oddity
Gen 4.5 Camry
809 Posts
ok. so its sorta like a cheap alternative to a engine rebuild

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Sea Foam gets nothing but good words from me. My car has been running a lot better since I started using Sea Foam:thumbup:

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
also you can add it to your fuel and directly in the intake while the engine is running, the directly in the intake is running helps alot with performance and noise, since it cleans out the intake valves, and also more aggresive carbon cleaning, there been a few post on here about it also in the truck fourm there was a link to another forum where they had a good thread about this. personaly i love it. also toyota does a system like this as well, cost more but they do it. also i seen most people do a set up with a can like 1/3 oil, 1/3 gas, 1/3 intake. personaly i did 1/2 for each but i have a v6.

also on topic with this when i changed my oil with having it in i notice the the oil was redish, i only had it in the oil for about 400 miles or so, and i had syntec in it before ... any ideas why it was a redish colour?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
do the cams have an oil cooler? could be cleaning the rust out from inside that?

*edit* and yes, oil coolers do rust... the one from my 4A-FE was rusted when i pulled it out.. GE don't have one, so i dont got that problem anymore.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Where do I obtain this "seafoam" you all speak of...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I'll probably give it a shot. I know they sell it at Advanced Auto and Auto Zone in my neck of the woods. Ask someone who works there and if they don't have it, tell them to stock it because it will sell - guaranteed. Apparently it was developed for a marine engine. I'm sure you can buy it online though.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 1st post. Yay!

I used SeaFoam in my 1997 Maxima with 138k. You can get it at Napa for $7-12, depending on location. Here's what I did.

I took the vacuum hose off the brake booster. Then stuck a funnel into that hose. Started up the car, and slowly poured in 1/2 can of sea foam (6-8 oz). I poured at a rate such that the engine nearly dies.

then stopped the engine, re-attached the vacuum hose, and waited 5min. Started up again, and let it sit till smoke came outta the exhaust. Then drove for 15min (not sure if you're supposed to drive w/it smoking).

WARNING: Don't do this in your garage or a closed space. It produces an insane amount of white puffy smoke. I dunno if it's dangerous to sniff, but just be careful, k?

Side affects: smoother idle, no more hunting. Slightly quicker rev. Lowered oil consumption, slight increase in fuel economy. But then again, I had 138k.

Jae

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
^
Yeah my car produced white smoke forever the first time I used it:lol:

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
Just did this... Smoked 'til I got bored, went in, took a shower, came back out and still just a little smoke. Bet that bastard was DIRTY!:D
Well, off to see if it helped!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow thats interesting tomorrow when i come home off to the store to grab some cans of this im a little worried about where im putting this into tho anyone can post a pic ? Also should we do this before a tune up so that way we change the plugs too ? And finally i have the regular engine treatment from greased lightning got that one the other day, should i just try the seafoam instead my car only has 78, 700 miles or so

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used it in my 94 4-Runner(140K) and 99 Tacoma(74K), it worked great I had instant results in the idle noise and the smoothness of the idle in the Runner, not as much effect on the tacoma though, its newer with less miles. I found it at Napa for 6.50 a can. Great Stuff.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
dainfamusge:
in this post you can see what i used for dumping in seafoam to my engine

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=44245&highlight=seafoam

i had an extra hose and a funnel and just dumped it in, i try to keep her from almost stalling. also on this i tryed to do the brakebooster on a civic and well that didnt work so well ... also you should as some seafoam to your engine now before you change the oil and run it for a few hundred miles or so then change and use your slick 50. and change your plugs before that would be less for the seafoam to clean.

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
I've heard horror stories about guys hydrolocking the engines by dumping too much in the brake booster hose. I used the smallest vac. hose I could find on the intake, (Idle control or some such - rpms jumped up to about 1500 when I pulled it) and a (washed) tuna can so I could see what I was doing and just suck a little at a time. My hands aren't steady enough for the pouring it in thing!

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
well i found on an integra forum a good way to do it. simply pop the hose half-way in the bottle and hold it there with like a rubberband or something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts