Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done a search and found nothing. i was wondering if there was anyone who has done the swap with the 3sge head, not the 3sgte head.

just talked to an mr2 guy and he told me since i'm rebuilding my 5sfe, that i should just get the 3sge head. he said it was all i had to replace.

from what i had previously heard, i thought i had to get a new ecu and the intake and exhaust manifolds.

anyone know?? all i can find is info on the 3sgte.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
you also have to match gen with the head of the 3sge and the block of the 5sfe as they change oil passages at some point .. i'm not sure on that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy told me i need a head from the same gen. the camry is a 93 5sfe.. so i would need a third gen mr2 3sge head.

thanks. anyone else?

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
you could use any 1st or 2nd gen 3sge head, you also have to swap the distributer, and the ignitor with the ge one. imo i would go ahead and get the ecu and wiring harness too. get the full potential out of it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silverstreakin, thanks. do you happen to know anyone with spare parts in florida, that i could buy from???

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Personally, I could give you the low-down on why the 5SGE n/a swap wouldn't be a cheap or easy way to gain some extra power... but that'll take too long... so I'll just say this. The oversquared design of the 5S block is not gonna utilize the performance factor of the 3SGE head to its fullest extent, simply because the block lacks the ability to rev. In other words, you're probably not gonna make a lot of power in stockish n/a trim without beefing up the bottom end, and with the wide-angled DOHC design, you're gonna be in for some velocity loss (but flow increase) so the torqueband is gonna shift upwards. You can't have the best of both worlds (low-end grunt of the 5SFE and top-end power of the 3SGE) with n/a 4 cylinders...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kwanza, thanks for the info. i was just reading about that on the mr2 site.

you think i might as well just rebuild the 5sfe and forget the 3sge head all together??? i was thinking if i can get the head cheap, like 50 bucks, then i might as well do it for some gains. but if they are gonna be minimal and not worth it, i'll just finish my 5s rebuild. and maybe get the 3sgte in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ufoz8mycow,
i don't want to spend a bunch of money on the camry yet. maybe in half a year or something. i figure turning the camry in to the 5sfte is gonna cost me a lot, like getting the turbo.

how much you think i can get everything i need for the turbo???

lord anarchy,
the pistons??? replace them for what? when i do the rebuild?? i'm still thinking about them. if i end up keeping the 5sfe, then i'll leave them, but replace the rings. if i go ahead with the turbo, i'll go ahead and get new pistons and rings.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
what part of florida do you live in ... tampa bay there a place called jap europiean ... you should call in advance to see if they have one and rember what they quoted you ... they change their mind on prices every other day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm in orlando. does land o' old people, mean land o' lakes? lol. or just florida in general?.

i'm gonna give them a call.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Hello Victor...
You dont need a 3rd Gen head... It depends on what you want ... The 1st Gen was a Big port ( without TVIS or multiple runners)... 2nd Gen is small port head ... 3rd Gen is big port with TVIS ...

It all depends on you ... what you want... You'll need more than just the head... you have to remember the crank angle and the ignition system between the 5s-fe and the 3s-ge arent the same...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wraith,
i hear you are the expert on all of this. thanks for the input. what do you mean the crank angle is different?? what does that mean, i need?? i know i need the ignition system from the mr2.

i'm contemplating just p&p my 5sfe head, and getting the 3sgte manifold with turbo. i hear the gains to be had are pretty good with that setup.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
victor said:
wraith,
i hear you are the expert on all of this. thanks for the input. what do you mean the crank angle is different?? what does that mean, i need??
sorry didnt complete my statement on that one ... theres sensor that the 3s-gte/3s-ge uses that is different from the 5s-fe...

victor said:

i know i need the ignition system from the mr2.

i'm contemplating just p&p my 5sfe head, and getting the 3sgte manifold with turbo. i hear the gains to be had are pretty good with that setup.
the gains on a 5s-fte set up is very good... You have enough aftermarket support to make the motor pump well over 600 to 700 at the flywheel...

• *Cams=web cams
    *pistons= JE or CP pistons ( CP is the one I'd go with )
    *rods = Crower or Pauter Machine ( Pauter is the one I preffer)
    *Manifold= stock or aftermarket ( aftermaket only if you have a built motor)
    *Arp for bolts
    *head gasket = 2nd Gen 3s-gte stock or after market
    *ecu= stock with piggy backs or full stand alone...
everything can be done ... with the right connection, research and money ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wraith said:

the gains on a 5s-fte set up is very good... You have enough aftermarket support to make the motor pump well over 600 to 700 at the flywheel...

• *Cams=web cams
    *pistons= JE or CP pistons ( CP is the one I'd go with )
    *rods = Crower or Pauter Machine ( Pauter is the one I preffer)
    *Manifold= stock or aftermarket ( aftermaket only if you have a built motor)
    *Arp for bolts
    *head gasket = 2nd Gen 3s-gte stock or after market
    *ecu= stock with piggy backs or full stand alone...
everything can be done ... with the right connection, research and money ...
thanks again for the info. i'm doing a rebuild on the 5sfe now. can i go ahead and keep internals stock with the turbo for now??? and when you say the 2nd gen 3sgte stock head gasket, will i be able to use that in my re-build even if i don't get the turbo right away?? and one more question, regarding the ecu, you say stock with piggy backs, does that mean the 5sfe ecu or the 3sgte ecu???

sorry for so many questions.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
victor said:
thanks again for the info. i'm doing a rebuild on the 5sfe now. can i go ahead and keep internals stock with the turbo for now??? and when you say the 2nd gen 3sgte stock head gasket, will i be able to use that in my re-build even if i don't get the turbo right away?? and one more question, regarding the ecu, you say stock with piggy backs, does that mean the 5sfe ecu or the 3sgte ecu???

sorry for so many questions.
which way you going ??? 5s-ge, 5s-gte, or 5sfte ???

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
5sfte ... you can run a 5s-fe ecu with a 3s-gte map sensor and run piggy backs off the OEM ecu ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool. thanks. so should i go with the 3sgte head gasket???

so i guess i need to be looking for a used MAP sensor, the ct26, a blow off, and the manifold?? anything else major i should be looking for used??

i might get the piggy back used or new.

also with injectors can i stick with my stock??? i know ufoz8mycow, i think you are running with the 330?? what's the stock camry injector at?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
for the MAP sensor does it matter what gen i get it from??? and if i happen to get a 3sgte ecu for cheap, will i be able to use it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts