Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this happened last year but I thought I would list it anyway so other people do not go to Sears. When my dad had my Gen 3 Camry, he got new struts at Sears with a lifetime replacement warentee. He did it just before I got the car. My Stuts, 40k miles later, were dead. I mean, I rested my finger on the car and the wheels went into the wheel well. I decided to bring it in to, I think it was Firestone, to get it checked out after my strutmount broke on the highway and the handling went to SH**!! That is there they asked me where I got the struts and they were nice enough to tell me that sears had the lifetime warentee. So I took it into Sears in Farmington I think it is, exit 40 off I-84 in CT. I did not like how they treated me so I went to the Sears at the Danbury Fair Mall in Danbury CT and left it there for the day to get fixed, $400 later!!! I start driving it and it really feels like the steering is broken and when I hit bumps it makes a loud banging noise, so I open the hood and look at where the strutmounts are. One is good, it is sticking straight up, and the other one is at an angle! They bolted the strutmounts in wrong!!!! So I then took it to the Sears in Farmington and they looked at it and said it broke, so I had to explaine to them that is DIDN'T brake, it was installed wrong. 3 hours later, they told me that front strutmount was installed wrong and both back ones were too! Sears is a bunch of TOOLS!!!! :headbang: They have no training....:disappoin

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got screwed like that. However thats another reason why no one should ever take their vehicle to a big box store for work.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, after that incident, neither I or my family will ever go to Sears again. We now have a mechanic we can trust. He is not the cheapest, but he does good work and stands by his work!

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Hey! I worked at Sears Auto for a while and while I can't defend the guys who worked on your car(Because I don't know them and I have never seen they're work)
I can tell you that guys at the shop I worked at were top notch:thumbup: They were also ASE certified. But the problem is, is that Sears doesn't pay their people jack shit so they've started to settle for hiring people with less experiance and and not much knowledge about cars. So I guess it depends on which people work on your car.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True dat. I also had a friend that brought his car there for a new tire and they put it on and drove it out of the garage and told him it was ready, so he went out and the tire had no air in it. They drove the damn thing out without putting air in it! I guess it all depends on who the manager is.

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
i worked at sears auto center for 7 months a few years back. i was the only person there that had experience working on cars. every one else was there because sears hires anyone that comes in the door looking for a job. i would never take any of my vehicles there to get anything done to them. (i do all of my stuff myself)

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am glad I am not the only one that does not like them.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
this is the main reason why i do ALL my own work cause since it's not their carthey can care less about it. they get paid no matter what. hell i rebuilt my first engine and it firied right up all because my buddy took his to the local shop and they stripped 2 head bolts and forgot to put on a bearing so i was stuck redoing their mistake cause i wanted the thing done asap.
it doesn't matter if the person is ase certified, judge them by the way their car looks.
ie: is the motor clean? is the car clean(as in not filthy i don't mean spotless)? how does it sound? and did they work on it themselves?

that is what i go by. and the only place that ever touched my car besides me is JAP AUTO in florida on 441 and pembroke. they even cleaned the motor to make sure it was fixed.

·
Current title:
253 Posts
simplest things is buy parts from sears auto just dont ever trust the service of sears auto or any other shop for that matter until u get to know the quality and level of their work

i bought 2 rear struts from them 80 bucks each--installed myself if any problems i take um out get um exchanged and nothing else to complain about..if something goes wrong i know i fucked up unless its a manufacturer defect~~

sorry to hear 'bout ur ordeal though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts