Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably posting this in the wrong section, so please move this thread if need be.

Anyone know where I can buy or find that button/stopper thing that's on the driver and passenger side seat belts that helps stop the seat belt buckle from falling down towards the end of the assembly? Its normally located over your lap after buckling up, and it looks like a plastic button/stopper stud. It seems my Camry never had one since its used. I have a tan/beige seat belt assembly and I really want to replace that little button/stopper. Do I have to go to a junk yard or something or can it be found in a store?

Thanks for any help.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I dont think that button can be replaced with new parts from dealer. I think it is part of the seat belt assembly so you cant jsut buy it. You could probably take it to an upholstery shop in your town a see if they can do something for you. or try a junk yard jsut to see if you can get one off of another car. I think when you go to pull it off though it will probably break and wont be reusable. all of this is speculation since I have never done it before.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could use a regular button kit and put a new one on, but then it wouldn't match the seatbelts unless I change all of them. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I am sure you could find one somewhere that would match fairly close.
It is not like they are going to be seen really are they. When you are in the car you will have the belt on and when you are out of the car the seat belt latch will cover it for teh most part. I wouldnt worry about the color that much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cyorke said:
I am sure you could find one somewhere that would match fairly close.
It is not like they are going to be seen really are they. When you are in the car you will have the belt on and when you are out of the car the seat belt latch will cover it for teh most part. I wouldnt worry about the color that much.
I just need to find something that will work for it...cause I'm sick and tired of reaching for the buckle down below the seat level, lol.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
if that is the case jsut get a large safety pin or something like taht and put it on the seatbelt. I think you can get a cheap button installer taht presses through the fabric at wal-mart or any craft shop also. You could always jsut sewa button on. Since it is not really a safety item to wrry about any of these would work jsut to keep the buckle from sliding down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might want to try a NISSAN dealership and ask for the seat belt button for a 04 XTERRA. I saw it on-line somewhere on a search and that's what came up. You just use needle nose pliers to put on. Hope that helps.

-JJA

·
Owner of much Obsolete
2,286 Posts
Toyota part numbers: (Come as a single stopper, pretty cheap)

Black: 73219-02010
Grey: 73219-02020
Beige: 73219-02030

Hope that helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see you have an 88 SUPRA and a 86 Corolla GT-S. I was looking at a 87 SUPRA today (non-turbo) that only had 75k miles but did need some work. They were asking 4k but thought a bit high but the body was in great shape. Interesting enough I use to own an 85 Corolla GT-S that I sold to an old friend and she just called recently and still has the car and loves it. I asked her for first buy-back rights.

Take care
-JJA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great advice. Only thing missing was how to install the seat belt stopper button.

My Toyota dealer's part's guy didn't know for sure, and didn't guess right. But google found several relevant technical service bulletins: Toyota BO011-01, Honda 93-033, Accura 93-015, Lexus BO005-0, Nissan NTB99-022c (e.g. http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/tsb/LexusLX450/bo005l01.pdf).

This worked for me: Use a pipe wrench to turn the knob on an adjustable crescent wrench to squeeze the parts together. I even remembered just in time to slide the belt buckle upstream of the button.

Using a vise, or some other way to apply pressure from very-flat very-parallel surfaces should also give a professional looking result.

I just hated the annoyance of reaching and fumbling to find it, and worse still, that my kids might have a reason to not buckle up. Best $1.50 I ever spent.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I had to replace that button on my father-in-law's 2001 Camry about a year ago. The part was about $1.50 at the dealership. I asked the service writter how to install it and he said put it on the belt, place 2 pennies on either side of it and squeeze it with a pair of plyers. Worked like a charm.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pliers worked for me, too

Following Mike Gerber's suggestion I used a pair of channel locks. That got the jaws of the pliers square with the pennies and the button.

What is not evident before you do it is that the sharp pin is soft plastic and deforms like a rivet. There's probably an expensive purpose-built rivet tool that leaves a nice rounded head, but the pennies leave it flat and smooth and cost 2 cents.

If you have someone help you by holding the seatbelt to provide lots of slack and keep the tang out of your way, the task is easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont think that button can be replaced with new parts from dealer. I think it is part of the seat belt assembly so you cant jsut buy it. You could probably take it to an upholstery shop in your town a see if they can do something for you. or try a junk yard jsut to see if you can get one off of another car. I think when you go to pull it off though it will probably break and wont be reusable. all of this is speculation since I have never done it before.

Cyorke, is wrong you can get the Seat Belt button/stopper thing at your local Toyota dealer or Toyota certified service center. It costed me $1.51 for the part. You have to lightly heat the needle with a soldering iron is what I read online. The man at the parts department said to use a plier to clamp it on, it didn't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to replace that button on my father-in-law's 2001 Camry about a year ago. The part was about $1.50 at the dealership. I asked the service writter how to install it and he said put it on the belt, place 2 pennies on either side of it and squeeze it with a pair of plyers. Worked like a charm.

Mike

My part guy didn't tell me I need two pennies, he just said to use pliers. That's why it didn't work, like I stated in my pervious posting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might want to try a NISSAN dealership and ask for the seat belt button for a 04 XTERRA. I saw it on-line somewhere on a search and that's what came up. You just use needle nose pliers to put on. Hope that helps.

-JJA

I thought this a Toyota forum, why are we talking about Nissans?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could use a regular button kit and put a new one on, but then it wouldn't match the seatbelts unless I change all of them. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the feedback.

Go to the dealer or certified service center. I got one there for $ 1.51 .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts