Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have problems with there seat beats not retracting all the way:cursin:? My [email protected]#*ing belts keep getting in the door and i always have to ask passengers to push the belt the rest of the way up. Thats annyoing!!! Iv already tried to wind the spring up to no avail. Any other suggestions?

·
i am sherbasm
1994 pickup 4x4 xcab
121 Posts
yes...mine have started to stop retracting all the way all the time. i usually just have to pull it out a little and help it in...not too too big of a deal yet but i'm sure eventually it will become a pain.

check out the local junk yard for a set of belts when you become completely annoyed

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o ya and i also forgot to mention that i did in fact take my problem to toyota after hearing that they may replace or fix it free of charge beings that it is indeed a safety issue. Get this... I took it up there and they took it in for me to take a look for free, which i can greatly appreciate. They came back to me after looking at it and gave me the word. The internals that retract the belt are in fact worn out and they gave me a price on it,$550.00. He asked if he wanted me to make an appointment. I fell out laughing and said ill take the risk of it failing. So thats another item i can put on my parts list at the junk yard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your new set of belts will probably be just the same. Mine have been that way from day one. The dealer once looked at it and said they were fine. I have to help them every time. The only fix would be to replace them with aftermarket, which is a whole lot less than $550.

Here is a PAIR of blue belts on ebay for $82 shipped. I should be getting a set at that price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-PO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
139 Posts
Junk yard belts from a NON-TOYOTA are always an option!

·
Yoda: Small & Green :-)
94 yoda
240 Posts
I had the same problem. I still do.

I replaced my drivers side seat belt about 7 years ago with one from the Toyota Dealership... New. The new seat belt did the same thing the old seat belt did... Doesn't retract unless you "help" it along its way.

Junk yard / dealership .... doesn't matter. They both do the same thing.

I don't get it either.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
They probably didn't want to have people complaining it was pulling too tight and went too far the other way. Could also be that to make it pull itself up would pull too hard while you're wearing it.

As for replacement belts, I'd trust JCwhitney a lot more than fleabay.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill probably end up getting a set of belts from a 2000 - up tacoma and putting them in, ill also have to make sure i also take the latches as well

·
i am sherbasm
1994 pickup 4x4 xcab
121 Posts
don't forget to keep the female/male end of your belt sensor just in case they differ...it'd be really annoying with the seat belt light always on even if you're wearing the belt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did get the set off ebay and installed them easily a couple days ago. A big improvement in retractability.

Mine never worked right, clean, new or not. I've slammed the door on the buckle too many times.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have you tried cleaning the belts??
Yep, iv cleaned the belts and even cracked open the case and tried winding the spring up more to no avail.

·
Registered
1993 2WD reg cab
127 Posts
My belts are wasted too. Tried cleaning the belts, etc.

I finally tried to get inside the housing where the band-spring applies tension to retract the belt, and let me say to anyone else who wants to try;

BE VERY CAREFUL
BE VERY CAREFUL
BE VERY CAREFUL

Once you take the plastic housing off (which says "don't remove" :)), the spring can snap out of position. This is exactly what happened to me. The sharp metal band exploded out and sliced up my fingers in several places. Blood doesn't match my interior, so well.

And anyway, winding it and trying to put it back in place is a BITCH and I never was able to do it enough to help the retraction. It wasn't designed to be serviceable. I thought about getting a new band spring, etc... but, jesus. Might as well buy one. I'm gonna check out this Gary feller, thanks SBWallker.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Toyota actually acknowleged this problem, in a backhanded way, by issuing a "fix": A small, pre-cut piece of thick, clear plastic adhesive-backed tape that you apply to rubbing surface of the ring that suspends the belt above you. It goes under the description "Tape Set" on the package, but I don't have the part number handy. Result: very slight improvement for a few months, then back to the slow-retract routine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts