Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for all you search or die guys, I didn't come up with anything.

Heres my problem. My seatbelt will not pull out of the driver side door. It is stuck. It won't allow any slack to be pulled out whatsoever.

Anybody ever have this problem before? Could it be a tensioner problem?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I haven't read of anybody else having this problem. The latch mechanism is probably stuck. Take it to the dealership asap. Big safety issue.

In the mean time try shaking the truck or jarring it somehow. The seatbelt locks itself when momentum moves it into the locked position. It should unlock whenever the momentum stops.

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
407 Posts
Not on a Taco but I did on another truck. Yes the mechanism jammed up. Usually it can be fixed but it's just easier for the dealership to replace, plus for liability reasons. Don't want a malfunction of a seatbelt. You ever have to piss real bad go to jump out of your truck only to forget the seatbelt is still latched, now you got belt burns and probably pissed yourself, not a good day. :sosad:

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
When I've done the BTS/ATD work on Toyota (or any other car for that matter) we have had a couple problems like this. It is your seat belt pretenstioner in your seat belt reel. You'll have to have the dealership look at it as they will most likely have to replace it. We were able to fix a few, but by "fix" I mean, make work for out testing...which means we tore the thing apart so it would work for out purposes:clap:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll be taking her to the dealership here soon.

PB: I have pulled, yanked, smacked, etc on the thing. Its like I hit a bump or something and then it locked and never came undone.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
My 4Runner did the same thing, but it would not reel back up. Try opening and closing the door a few times. Then leave the door open and try to get it to unreel.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
They usually lock if you pull them all the way out, then let them back in. I do that to torque down my daughter's car seat so it doesn't slide around. If you can get any slack to let the belt retract more it usually unlocks the mechanism. Then pull it out slowly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought I would give an update on my "safety" belt.

I tried everything I knew to get the seatbelt to come free with no luck. Next day on my way to work, it came out like normal.

Weird but I'm glad I didn't have to waste time at the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts