Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,049 Posts
Can anything be done about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of Utube vids and articles on this issue. Maybe this procedure will work on your car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Especially when others ride with. I don’t care if they put their belts on and it drives me nuts. I’m about to ri op out whatever wires I can if there isn’t a secret procedure to disabling it or if I can’t hack the firmware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 2007 Lexus IS and you could do a procedure that involved pressing buttons on the dash.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,205 Posts
It’s fucking annoying.
I don't understand the issue. It's not annoying since it turns off when you buckle the seat belt. I buckle up before I even start the car most of the time. Hop in, buckle up, start the car and go. You will never hear the sound that annoys you so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The passengers. How many times do I have to say it’s about the passengers? I’ve had the car for 4 years, it’s really only driven me crazy in the last 2 months. Regardless, this attitude you guys have of “it’s not a problem if you do what it’s nagging you about” is absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve been through enough situations to know it’s not always practical to buckle up, including trips literally right up the street to a 7 eleven. It’s my car, I should be able to customize it how I want, and the fact I could disable it on my Lexus but for some reason can’t seem to on an almost identical platform made 7 years later is absurd.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
140 Posts
I can think of a several ways to disable it:
  • Buckle-up
  • Ask your dealer to disable both the drivers side and the passenger side seat belt alarms (They'll either say OK, they can't, they won't or that it isn't possible (doesn't hurt to ask, though)
  • Get a Mini-VCI cable and Techstream and disable the alarm yourself
  • Get a Carista and disable the alarm yourself
  • Insert surrogate seat belt buckle(s) thereby fooling the system into thinking you actually are buckled-up
  • remove the pin associated with the buckle sensor from the electrical connector under the seat
Notes: Do your research and make sure you're getting the appropriate method for your application. Disabling the alarm via software will only disable the persistent alarm, you'll still get the five initial dings of the alarm each time it's started from scratch. Personal safety is compromised by doing most of these,... understand the ramifications of your choice.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,310 Posts
Your passenger seat weight sensor is not functioning or it's the buckle.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,205 Posts
The passengers. How many times do I have to say it’s about the passengers? I’ve had the car for 4 years, it’s really only driven me crazy in the last 2 months. Regardless, this attitude you guys have of “it’s not a problem if you do what it’s nagging you about” is absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve been through enough situations to know it’s not always practical to buckle up, including trips literally right up the street to a 7 eleven. It’s my car, I should be able to customize it how I want, and the fact I could disable it on my Lexus but for some reason can’t seem to on an almost identical platform made 7 years later is absurd.

I saw many of your responses and didn't catch that you were talking about passengers. If you are driving to places that close just walk. Or tell your passengers to buckle up until you figure out how to deactivate them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The airbag module relies on information from the seatbelts to calculate if the airbags should deploy and with how much force. If you fool it by fastening a fake one then the computer may not fire the airbags because it calculates that the buckled seat belt is enough to protect you in a crash. In reality you are going face first into the steering wheel, dash and windshield. And do what I do with passengers, say "put on your seatbelt". It works every time, I've never had someone say "no".

Also, the majority of accidents happen a few miles from a person's home. So a quick trip up the street to 7-11 doesn't mean you can't be slammed into by another vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts