Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
On The Street
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat belt behind the drivers seat wont retract. it was pulled all the way and now it doesnt retracted and i tried rolling it back in but it wont work.
how can this be fixed ??

thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you remove the cover, you'll see that the mechanism casing is see-thru and you should be able to figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
similar problem

along the same lines,

my gen 3 1992 has what i think are weak seatbelt retracting springs. is there any quick fix for this?

the seatbelts function fine but when it is time for the belts to go back to their original position, i have to feed the belt manually to make it retract.

now that i think of it, if someone can tell me a clever way to un-twist the seatbelt that would be great. i bought the car used and both of the seatbelts are twisted and it appears there is no easy way to un-twist them.

-a

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
yea, Actually I just replaced my springs a week ago on my car.
Same problem in that they seat belt wont retract to well, so I just moved the seats all the way up, then took off the lower cover for the seat belts. There are two bolts that hold the entire system in place. One at the top, and one at the bottom. Remove those two and then pull it up. On one side is a gear with a ball...the Ball is what locks it in place so you don't slip out in an accident. On the other side is a clear *sorta* casing that holds a copper spring on the inside of it. It's really just a coil of wire wound really tightly so know this now...if you take it off by undoing the three tab's that hold it to the metal frame then the coil will come loose all it's tension and do you no good untill you tighten it back up. DO NOT take off the cover that holds the coil inside or else it will undo and your fucked! All I did was run down to the local pick N pull here in SA for a buck and walked around to camrys untill I found one that was good for me, then pulled it out, removed the casing for the spring *yes it looses that tension I said a moment ago* then took it home. When I got home I just let my seat belt come all the way out. push your belt through the slit untill you can take the little black bar out of the belt end so that you can pull it back through the metal bar. then put your coil onto your belt system, and start tighting the coil back up by rotating your metal bar. Then carefully jam it in place and feed the belt back through. Least that is the way I went about doing it. I'm probably going to go back out and see if the new models have the same style then I'll just take one of those instead. Peace!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts