Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,i have a 05 dbl cab 4x4 trd offroad,even though the truck has good power im a man that firmly believes u can never have too much power,having said that im looking for ways to gain some exrta ponies! I have already installed a k&n filter on it and will be putting on a muffler next, my question is has anybody removed the secondary airfilter on these thangs?It looks like it is molded into the intake,does it come out? thx..

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I took mine out..Just used a punch to pop off those plastic rivits. that thing i really restrictive

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just take off ur airfilter,and look up the intake hose,u have a secondary airfilter that is riveted in place,and it looks hella resrticive!

·
Registered
947 Posts
if it's in the intake hose, closer to the wheel well, wouldn't that be the primary filter...just playing on semantics here.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
No..Open up the intake box..take out teh filter and its hard to miss the extra big white thing inside there

·
Registered
947 Posts
Cool, gonna check it out. Wonder if it will be a hinderance or risk though.

·
I got free tires
'05 XRunner
153 Posts
HILLCLIMBER said:
Just take off ur airfilter,and look up the intake hose,u have a secondary airfilter that is riveted in place,and it looks hella resrticive!
What the?? If its riveted in place, how you supposed to replace it when it gets dirty? Is this in the maint. manual? Geez...

·
Grease Monkey
232 Posts
Anyone got pics?? I'd like to see this.

Sonny

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Just open the intake box like u are gonna change the air filter and well..U cant miss this thing.
there is nothing in the Intake tube..Everyone make sure you know what your talking about before posting so others dont get confused

·
Registered
947 Posts
damn, you tore that thing out didn't ya'. Make sure you don't leave any plastic behind!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
its like those charcol filters in fish tanks..It gets the carbon out of the air to make the emissions lower... = RESTRICTION on your truck

·
I got free tires
'05 XRunner
153 Posts
05XRunner said:
its like those charcol filters in fish tanks..It gets the carbon out of the air to make the emissions lower... = RESTRICTION on your truck
Does that also = NO PASS ON EMMISIONS TEST?

Seriously, can the truck pass the emmisions test with it out of there?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
yes it will...They just added that in the 05 truck..the 4.0 in the 03 and 04 4runner did not have it...Just another way for them to cut power for us on useless crap

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey xrunner, did u use a drill or just hammer a punch through the holes?Does it come out through the front or back?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I took off the whole box..Then I used a Punch and a small hammer and tapped them out..once all the rivits are off it will just fall out..then just make sure there is no little plastic that could fall off and go in the motor.

·
Registered
http://www.dcautocen
299 Posts
I just got in there with a screwdriver and popped each rivet apart. Took about 20 seconds. Rumor has it that Toyota acutally lists the replacement filter in the parts department.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Wish somebody here had a dyno, so we could see how much that extra filter is slowing the air flow. I saw that filter when I replaced the main filter with a K&N, but I left it alone. I think you guys have talked me into removing it now.

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
mines out, man hold that thing up to the light very restrictive....this mod has to improve horsie power. and on the liter side pulled up to a nissan 300z rag top with this big dude and his chic so we went at it off the lite... lol he kept looking over as i pulled him by 3/4 of a car length in a little corner to corner drag racing . im shure he would pull me on top end due to the shut down feature on our trucks but i loved every second of it :whatwhat:

1 - 20 of 315 Posts