Toyota Nation Forum banner

Securing bed cleats

1159 2
Posted this at Tundra solutions someone there said I should post it here, but can't find way to post pics.so heres the site.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/53336-keep-those-bed-cleats/
Bruce
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I leave mine inside the cab because I noticed small rust deposits from the rails on the cleat clamp after leaving them on for a few months during the summer. Water probably doesn't drain and dry as easily inside the metal bed rails.

I found this out BTW after having to remove my cleats because a squirrel was sitting on my bed rails and chewing on the cleats to sharpen its teeth! I have a huge Burr Oak in my backyard with acorns this year and a ton of squirrels. It gnawed my cleats up a little but they are still totally useable - just a little scared. It gnawed my top bed rail in one small spot, but not too bad at all, just a knick really. Most of the damage was gnawing to the cleats. They are battlescared LOL! It also chewed apart a canvas awning at my house. I kept an eye out and busted the squirrel in action on the awning. I had busted it a few time before - in the morning - so I had my pellet rifle ready. Got him. Not a problem since. Squirrel with a chew fetish!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
11,741 Posts
Billzebub said:
I leave mine inside the cab because I noticed small rust deposits from the rails on the cleat clamp after leaving them on for a few months during the summer. Water probably doesn't drain and dry as easily inside the metal bed rails.

I found this out BTW after having to remove my cleats because a squirrel was sitting on my bed rails and chewing on the cleats to sharpen its teeth! I have a huge Burr Oak in my backyard with acorns this year and a ton of squirrels. It gnawed my cleats up a little but they are still totally useable - just a little scared. It gnawed my top bed rail in one small spot, but not too bad at all, just a knick really. Most of the damage was gnawing to the cleats. They are battlescared LOL! It also chewed apart a canvas awning at my house. I kept an eye out and busted the squirrel in action on the awning. I had busted it a few time before - in the morning - so I had my pellet rifle ready. Got him. Not a problem since. Squirrel with a chew fetish!
Soak your cleats in Habanero hot sauce. That'll spice things up for the lil critters. :wink2:

:lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.