Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 Camry LE 2.4 that I plan to keep as a forever car. It's not my daily driver, so I can afford to park it and work on it as needed, and I've already made some simple mods, like swapping in an after-market radio and putting in front/read parking sensors & camera, as well as moving up to 20" rims. Also, I've lurked here long enough to know that the standard response to these questions is "It's not worth it" or "You'd be better off replacing the car"... Please assume that I'm not concerned about the money or value for the money, nor am I intent on replacing the car.
Now I find myself in need of new shocks and the engine is having the well-known oil-burn issue, and so I'm considering doing more major upgrades rather than a simple engine rebuild or replacing the shocks.
Essentially, I'd like to strip the interior, build a tunnel for a drive shaft, and swap in a 1UZFE or 3UZFE engine, then rebuild the interior to accommodate 4 captain's seats instead of a rear bench... I'm thinking of buying a used Lexus LS460 as a donor car, and using as many pieces of that as needed for the build (engine, transmission, drive shaft, axles, ECU, the 2 additional captain's seats, etc...). Then I'd also like to go air-ride, and finally re-do the interior. Later, I'd be planning to rebuild the new engine with forged parts and an aftermarket ECU.
What I'm wondering is if anyone's ever attempted a project like this before and might have advice, or even if anyone's tried and failed and can tell me why? And I'm aware that a lot of this work is beyond my ability, but I do plan on working with a local custom car builder to sort out the things I can't handle. I'm also wondering if I could possibly proceed with the air-ride first, or if that'd be a bad idea because of the planned engine-swap? That's my gut instinct, but the current engine is in better shape than the shocks, and I prefer to do the work as needed, rather than all at once. Any positive thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,923 Posts
No one has done it or if they did, they did not post it here. Otherwise as long as you have the money, skills, contacts, time, resources, and knowledge to do it, do it and come back and show us. If not, then don't waste your time. Everything you want to do is gonna be self-taught and self-diagnosed for issues. That's what it comes down to, if you really want to do it I say go for it. I'm interested in seeing what you can do but don't expect much if any help as there is little any of us can really do for you other than basic advise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the honesty :) I said in the earlier post, I'm not worried about the money or finding the people with the skills (it's not me). Honestly, I'd be open to an easier/cheaper/previously-done project, so long as it gets me to a more powerful engine (and hopefully the RWD) and the air-ride... Doesn't have to be the 1UZFE. As much as I love my Camry, I do hate that the modder community for Gen6 Camrys seems pretty much non-existent. Rims, radio and sensors was too easy!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,923 Posts
I appreciate the honesty :) I said in the earlier post, I'm not worried about the money or finding the people with the skills (it's not me). Honestly, I'd be open to an easier/cheaper/previously-done project, so long as it gets me to a more powerful engine (and hopefully the RWD) and the air-ride... Doesn't have to be the 1UZFE. As much as I love my Camry, I do hate that the modder community for Gen6 Camrys seems pretty much non-existent. Rims, radio and sensors was too easy!
The post-90s US Toyota Community in my opinion overall is just a DIY repair community. So you could say any aftermarket modifications is sort of frowned upon but if you yourself are willing to do it yourself or pay someone to do it, then it doesn't matter as much. I typically always question the people who ask about engine swapping, turbo charging, NOS installing if they have what they need to do it because in the end many of them, as you are, are just a random person on the internet who may or may not know what they are doing and I would prefer for them to not make a mistake. More so if they are a "kid" and this is their only vehicle. Usually they just say f*** off and never come back.

If you are able to get it done, I would like to see the results as it is different and not something many people have done and in comparison to trying to make a 2008 Toyota "smart" like a 2020, this is more feasible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts