Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi--

I hope someone here can advise/assist; I've been having a problem with my Corolla (83' Automatic Transmission) which has been getting progressively worse; it has been very reluctant to shift from first to second, etc, but when it gets into gear, it's got power and is generally fine.

My Haynes manual is pretty vague about the causes, saying I need to take it to a professional...problem is, I'd like to try whatever fixes I canbfore doing that as I'm on a budget.

So, here's the deal: I went to Autozone and described the problem and the guy there says, "who that sounds like avaccum modulator problem", although to my knowledge, my car dosn't have a vaccum modulator.

So my question is: what's the equivalent mechanism in an 83 Corolla that I can check/adjust to see if that helps?

I tried adjusting the throttle linkage as per the manual, but the little BB/stopper never emerges from under the rubber boot, no matter how much slack I give it; I thought this coukld be a problem, but I don't know how to fix, please advise.

Also: I'm about to drop the pan to give it one final fluid/filter swap with conditioner to see if that helps--is there any unit accessible from inside the pan that I can check/swap out if necessary, ala a "solenoid" or "Kickdown solenoid" or valve of some sort that may be faulty?

The reason I suspect some sort of valve is that the problem always got worse when I drive up to Sante Fe from Albuquerque (ascending elevation=different air pressure)

Anyway, hope this is all clear and hope you can help, otherwise I might have to scrap the car, can't afford a whole new tranny, etc.

Thanks,

JR:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
***FIXED IT***

Took it to five places, they all said: needs a new tranny.

price range to fix: $500-$900

After much research and trial, isolated stuck (rusted) throttle linkage cable, which runs from carb to tranny and controls shifting

actual cost to fix: $.50 (part of a can of WD40)

:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts