Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I get out of work and walk out to my car to a dent in the rear bumper. I'm pretty pissed, contact security (I work at a hospital) and they inform me that someone witnessed a guy hitting it and taking off. They give me the license plate number, etc... I leave, and head to pick my son up and drive home (about a 45 minute drive) and I'm thinking this whole time about getting it fixed, dealing with insurance, paintless dent repair, etc... Then I think, maybe I can try popping it out when I get home.

I get home and pop the trunk, walk around to the back and the dent is completely gone. Some time during the 45 minute drive home I'm guessing the wind and heat pushed it back out? Anyways, thought I'd share my experience.

This is what I walked out to.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire

This is when I got home. I did notice a tiny little crease on the line of the bumper, but other than that, it's like new.

Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Several years ago, someone hit out van while it was parked in a lot, damaging the bumper cover (beyond just a dent). Searching online, I found a place on eBay and Amazon that sells prepainted bumper covers. I gave them the paint code and they ship them folded over several times. It’s crazy, but you cut the packaging, leave it in the sun for a few hours and it goes back to its shape with no indication it was ever folded.

·
Registered
2020 Avalon Hybrid Limited
104 Posts
Several years ago, someone hit out van while it was parked in a lot, damaging the bumper cover (beyond just a dent). Searching online, I found a place on eBay and Amazon that sells prepainted bumper covers. I gave them the paint code and they ship them folded over several times. It’s crazy, but you cut the packaging, leave it in the sun for a few hours and it goes back to its shape with no indication it was ever folded.
Was it these guys?

They are local to me and I was planning on replacing the bumper on my Lexus but I ended up trading it in (for my Avalon) instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got one of these recently for my highlander. They folded the outsides inward. On one fold, it was at a transition point, so you cannot tell at all. On the other fold, it was in a flat space. If you look closely, you can tell, but you cant really see it unless you're looking for it. Had they folded it like the other side I'd be 100% satisfied... as it is, I'm still 90% happy with it. Eventually I'll stop paying attention to the minor defect and it'll be fine, hah.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Report the guy and get your bumper fixed. There should be no reason for you to see that crease every time you walk by your car. Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I tried buffing the car but scratches on the bumper was too deep. Luckily I had a dash cam that took the video of the other car swiping my bumper. The person tried to deny it and their insurance company paid out saying there is no way you can deny that paint transfer etc. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts