Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok today i was driving and was coming up to a light, one of those looooong red lights, and i have one of those push-down shifters.

anyways, i pushed it down, hoping to throw the car in neutral, but i pushed it up one too many gears accidently and threw it in reverse, which of course caused my car to lock up. i immediately threw it in neutral, but the check engine light came on, i had very minimal and very tough sterring control, and the light turned green so i had to pull over on the side of the road, which curved in an S-shape so it was kidna difficult.

anyway, when i put the car in park & cut the engine i was thinkin 'crap, i didnt wanna go car shopping yet', but luckily wen i turned the car back on, it was ok. i hope.

should have something checked just to be sure?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I did something like that before. But I was going around 10 mph. That was a logn time ago and my tranny is still running strong.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya luckily i was goin slow too

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ what he said....but if you're going slow, it should be okay....not good, but not as bad as it seems prob.....

and take a look at the tranny design...you don't have to push the button down to shift to neutral from drive.....there's a reason for that...;)

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Well, if you aren't hearing any strange noises or feeling weird vibrations - hopefully nothing has happened.
Thats why you dont screw around with gear shifts when you are moving.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sue me. i got bored. :p and i cant stand how roughly my car idles in drive lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i did the same thing to my 99 camry, but i threw it from second gear to reverse, then to park, haha it fucking sucked i was so scared, but that was 6 months ago and things are running fine.

·
Rotor > Piston
91 Camry, 90 RX7
411 Posts
you dont have to push down to shift from "L" to "2" or from "2" to "D" or from "D" to "N" or from "R" to "N"

·
Its still a Camry.
1991 Lexus Es250
522 Posts
I drive auto/man Ive throw the car in reverse once.....that was over 5 months ago...I beat it every day....never had problems. Toyota Rawks:D

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i know it should shift smoothly between said gears, but this aftermarket knob is a bit sticky and sometimes requires a lil push.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
your tranny is fine. i had a similar thing mappen to me but it was during an accident and we were going ~80mph and the car spun backwards and the tranny shut the car off. but it was fine no problems at all.don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i think auto tranny shift into reverse while moving forward is not as bad as manual tranny. i do that sometime to my manual tranny, trying to reverse to park while the car is still moving forward or backward a little bit, and i can hear the somewhere from the car making loud clicking noise.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i was om i95 going north when the rear passanger tire lost it's traed and locked the wheel and at the time the car was loaded. so it spun backwards and when i was trying to floor it forward so i can attemp to slow down i realized the motor had shut off already then wham!!! the rear hit 3 trees. needless to say that sucked but that corolla took the beating cause after the tow truck pulled us off the tree we drove home and it didn't even shimmy or anything and it drove straight. but there was 4,000usd in repairs since the rear was damaged so bad. before we got a chance to fix it my wife t-boned another corolla at 45mph and totaled our car. it was the other drivers fault since he backed out onto a highway. that is how we got the wagon.:D :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts