Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to get either a Tahoe or a Sequoia. We have two kids and more will be on the way. I have owned two GMC trucks, a 96 Sierra and an 02 Sierra. Loved them both. Great quality, power, comfort, reliability and decent gas mileage. The only Toyota I've owned the the present 99 Camry. It's fine, but too small.
So it comes down to three things for me: gas mileage, life of the vehicle, and maintenance/repair costs. Chevy's were good up to 200k with small repairs such as alternators and dist caps, my 96 died at 199k. I got 18 (4x4) mpg on the highway with both trucks. Is the Sequoia going to outdo the Chevy? It's a little more expensive (for under 10k I'm looking at a 2003 Sequoia with 155k on it, or a 2004 Tahoe with 100k on it), is the gas mileage that much better? Is the maintenance bill that much smaller?
I'd love for someone who has owned both to chime in, or at least someone who has a buddy with a Tahoe. Real-life comparison, not "Woohooo Toyota!" is most helpful.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you have already answered your own question. You seem to like the Tahoe, so why not buy another one. The Sequioa is a great car, but you won't get more than 18-20 overall in mpg. Do you really want to switch from something you seem to like for 1 or 2 mpg? Maintenance costs on Sequioa's are low, especially if you do the basics yourself. However, at 155k, there is no telling what kind of repairs might be coming your way, especially if it hasn't been taken care of. Engine should be fine, but tranny and differential could soon be due for repairs and those won't be cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, the response from the Toyota forum is: "buy a Chevy"? I wasn't expecting that.
I read the Consumer's Guide on both and they rate the Chevy higher. It's cheaper, I think that's the main reason. Gas mileage was comparable. They do not have a category for long-term maintenance/life expectancy of the drive-train. Maybe this is why Chevy got the higher rating?
Anybody out there willing to stick up for the Sequoia? I spoke with a guy who has an 01 today, gets abysmal mileage in town, but 21-22 on a trip. I've never head a Tahoe owner say that. Anybody else have a similar experience? Anybody have a Sequoia with over 200k on it? 250k? How's that tranny doing?

·
Registered
2006 Seqouia
140 Posts
If you want gas mileage, then you don't want a Seqouia. I purchased my '06 Seqouia with 30k at time of test drive. I LOVE mine, but hate the 12mpg that I get with primary driving around town. I traded in my '05 Sierra extended cab to get 3 more seats for my growing family. Now on trips or long drives, the gas mileage moves back up to around 18-20mpg.

I hate to say it as well, but with these tough times, you could very well be better with the GMC. As for me, I love my reliability, power, and the safety features that Toyota has put into the Seqouia. For the way I drive, I can run circles around the Tahoe's etc....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I totally agree. If mileage is anywhere in your top 10 list of considerations then definitely buy something else. On the highway it's fine for this size of vehicle. In town...it sucks.
For me anyway, all the other positives mentioned...reliability, power, comfort, styling etc....outweigh the fact it costs a few extra bucks a week in fuel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, the response from the Toyota forum is: "buy a Chevy"? I wasn't expecting that.
Ugh! :disappoin You said you didn't want Woohoo toyota and then are disappointed when I didn't give it to you. The Sequioa is a great car, which I clearly stated. It's better than than your tahoe in so many ways (just get in one and you'll immediately feel the difference in ride and quality) I'm not here to convince you to buy a Toyota. You said you were very happy with your Chevy experierence, so why not stay with it, it's certainly not worth switching for gas mileage.

As for consumer reports, who cares what they say. My 04 has 53k miles on it and it's never been in the repair shop except for a ball joint recall. It also doesn't have a single squeak or rattle and every electronic works! I religiously do the basic maintenance and wouldn't hesitate in a second to buy another one, but fortunately for me, this car looks like it going to run for quite a while so I don't have to worry about a new one.

As for real world gas mileage, that is totally subjective and dependent on how you drive. On the highway, I can get close to 20, but in mixed driving, average about 17-18.

You want an opinion, buy the Toyota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, there we go. Thanks for the thoughts. I am concerned about gas mileage, but I am talking about the difference between a Tahoe and a Sequoia, not a Tahoe and a 4runner or Camry. I just wondered if the Sequoia would do better than the Tahoe.
Really though, I'm looking for someone who has had both or has experience with both, especially high mileage.
That said, I will be test-driving a Sequoia on Thursday. Drove a Yukon Yesterday.

Thanks for the input.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
In today's market both are actually fantastic vehicles. As long as you don't mind the 18MPG highway, buy the one that tweaks you and be happy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Buying my wife 2011 Sequoia Platinum 4x4 over a new Tahoe. Our 2007 tahoe did well but its is far from refinement compared to the Sequoia's drive/features and quality. Also our Tahoe's MPG was around 13 in town so they do not get much better gas mileage. Way more room in second row compared to tahoe, also smarter interior design features like sliding second row and electric third row seats. Tahoes 3rd row is a back breaker. I think if you like the truck ride then Tahoe is the one, if you like a more refinded and smarter SUV then get Sequoia

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
I had the same questions back in '03 before I bought the Sequoia. For me the REAL scenario that qualified it was to get in and out of the second AND third row myself. The Sequoia had a couple inches more leg room to get in and out of the second row (B-pillar to seat edge) and the third row was easy to access as well as decently comfortable even for my 5'10" height. There is still room behind third row for stuff though obviously not as much.

The Tahoe was tight to get into the second row and FORGET about the third row! The bottom cushion on the Tahoe flips up first then the back folds down (as opposed to Sequoia back down, tumble forward) so the floor height is higher in third row buy about 6 inches. After crawling into the third row I tried to sit up straight. My head hit the roof and my knees were by my chin. The A/C vents were staring me in the face (The Sequoia has them in the side rails) and I could barely fit my hand between the back of the seat and the tailgate.

Power wise and towing the Tahoe was better as well as it was 5k cheaper with rebates but I wasn't towing much and longer term comfort was my decision maker. Since my wife was to be driving it most she had the ultimate say either way and preferred the ride/handling of the Sequoia. I also gave her option of a Suburban but the only difference between that and the Tahoe was that it had more storage behind third row (duh) and she had issues parking it as well as costing more $$. All seat comfort issues mirrored the Tahoe.

For the minivan side ---- definitely easier all around with YOUNG kids having sliding doors and fuel mileage is a HUGE bonus. Passenger and storage room my neighbor has issues with as with 3 kids they ALWAYS need the third row as all the minivans have captain chairs for second row (unlike Sequoia's bench). With the third row up he doesn't have much more storage area behind the seat except his low because that is where the seats stow when folded.

After all that My son and I also had to go and use my 4x4 Sequoia with snow tires to get him/wife/ 3 kids after their (also snow tire equipped) AWD minivan got stuck during a heavy snow last year and guess what, they ALL fit with their packages that filled up the back of the minivan in my Sequoia (and we only had 2 kids in the third row!). :thumbsup:

Now where were we on recommendations?

My Sequoia has 72k on it and knock wood has had no major issues. Gas mileage sucks (10-12 around town) and normally about 18 highway but that is usually loaded with 4-8 people and stuff for trips and/or skiing. My neighbor claims he gets high teens around town and mid 20's highway in his minivan. Gas was only $1.20/gallon when I bought it so wasn't as big a deal and I didn't buy it for the mileage. That said when it was over $4 a gallon and the pump shut off at $100 during fill up REALLY sucked but also cost me $65 to fill up a Hyundai Sonata during that same time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the same questions back in '03 before I bought the Sequoia. For me the REAL scenario that qualified it was to get in and out of the second AND third row myself. The Sequoia had a couple inches more leg room to get in and out of the second row (B-pillar to seat edge) and the third row was easy to access as well as decently comfortable even for my 5'10" height. There is still room behind third row for stuff though obviously not as much.

The Tahoe was tight to get into the second row and FORGET about the third row! The bottom cushion on the Tahoe flips up first then the back folds down (as opposed to Sequoia back down, tumble forward) so the floor height is higher in third row buy about 6 inches. After crawling into the third row I tried to sit up straight. My head hit the roof and my knees were by my chin. The A/C vents were staring me in the face (The Sequoia has them in the side rails) and I could barely fit my hand between the back of the seat and the tailgate.
The seating was probably the single biggest factor for me with the Sequoia. I miss the space behind the third row that we had with the Suburban, but with my older kids as big as I am, we really needed the space provided by the Sequoia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TOYOTA! I'm on #3 Toy, the first two were Tacomas which I drove professionally. #1 went 235K and was totaled in a crash - no mechanical issues prior to that. I think I replaced the alternator. #2 Tacoma went #187K and again died in crash. I got rid of that driver. No mechanical issues. #3 is a Sequoia and I'm at 173K. I am having the first mechanical issue with the AC unit. That is the first problem. I have three kids and they fit fine, plus friends. I've pulled trailers at 2,000 to 3,000 from CO to FL twice and to CA once. Never an issue!

My buddy bought a New Tahoe at the same time I bought my 1 1/2 year old Sequoia and he had his Tahoe in the shop every 3 months for something or another. He hated it and sold it after 24 months. My Sequoia is a 2001. I'll have this to 250K easily.

Go with a Toyota.

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
TOYOTA! I'm on #3 Toy, the first two were Tacomas which I drove professionally. #1 went 235K and was totaled in a crash - no mechanical issues prior to that. I think I replaced the alternator. #2 Tacoma went #187K and again died in crash. I got rid of that driver. No mechanical issues. #3 is a Sequoia and I'm at 173K. I am having the first mechanical issue with the AC unit. That is the first problem. I have three kids and they fit fine, plus friends. I've pulled trailers at 2,000 to 3,000 from CO to FL twice and to CA once. Never an issue!

My buddy bought a New Tahoe at the same time I bought my 1 1/2 year old Sequoia and he had his Tahoe in the shop every 3 months for something or another. He hated it and sold it after 24 months. My Sequoia is a 2001. I'll have this to 250K easily.

Go with a Toyota.
It's way out of warranty BUT talk to your dealer about the A/C issue. There was/is a TSB about the A/C. Something with the pickup tube and oil etc. Maybe they can make some sort of exception/discount on the parts and/or labor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go with the Sequoia, you won't go wrong. I just purchased a used 2008 with 34K miles after a years worth of research. I just had the trans go out on my 01 Ford Expedition (3 days before selling it, so had to get it fixed). Trans mechanic told me that American made trucks are living on borrowed time after 100K miles. Told him I just purchased a new Sequoia and he told me I should be good for 300K miles. This guy has been in the transmission buisiness for 25 years, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

For the new Sequoia 08 and later models, the truck is a complete makeover from the earlier models. The newer engine has the same cylindar management system that the Tahoes have. The 5.7L engine actually gets better gas mileage than the 4.6L. I also considered towing capacity, and the Sequoia is better than the Tahoe, if towing is a concern for you. The 2WD also gets better than the 4WD. I opted for the 2WD since we don't get much snow down here in SE VA and most of my traveling is highway.

Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We drove Suburban/Yukon xl's for years and back in 2004 when it time to get a new one I was doing my research and each time I would put in a search I would get a "message" to consider a Sequoia...being from a hard core GM family we weren't really interested, but one of the yukons that we were test driving was on a Toyota lot, while we were there the salesman asked us to just test drive the Sequoia...Wow, after driving it and then learning about the outstanding safety features we bought our first new Sequoia ('04) then in 2008 my husband bought me the new one we still have the '04 drives like new, we plan to keep it and let our oldest child use it when she starts driving. I will never go back to the GM.....the safety of my children is the most important factor!!! Just an honest opinion from a concerned mother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The advice from these guys is great! My 2-cents? Until 2003, We resisted a Sequoia, keeping our Tahoe, because of styling (the chevys are handsome and tasteful; the new 2010 Seq's are ugly and huge) and the way the rear seats fold, blocking the rear access from the front seats. Our Golden would feel lonely back there and could not put his nose on the center armrest :<) BUT the Seq is a much nicer machine than a Chevy! Mileage? They are all terrible. On trips where we are forced to drive about 70 we may see 18 on the computer but it is 1.5 mpg optimistic, meaning we have never got even 17. A few days ago 850 mi at 70-90 mph crossing Nevada the true aver was 16 mpg. 12 overall? Yep.... about right. Get a mommie van. jvm

·
Registered
25 Posts
We had an '02 sequoia - brand new. In the first six months, went through 3 ac compressors, the braking system had to be overhauled (warranty/design issue), and the one time it sat for a week and upon starting it the engine made a horriffic screaming noise. It almost reminded me of unsiezing the motor. Shortly therafter, she lost oil pressure and ran strange so I pulled her off the interstate to confirm oil level, tightness of filter, etc. All was fine, as toyota had just serviced it (engine stuff happened at about 80k miles). Brakes were never right, every 10k miles I had it back at the dealer to have the rotors replaced - they would warp and you all know what happens when they do that. I think yota replaced 4-5 sets of rotors and then said no more. Somewhere around when the suspected engine issues started, it developed a water leak presumably from the sunroof drain line. I traded the unit on an infinity car just under 90k miles - firgured someone else could deal with the headache!

I have a Parhfinder, very solid and issue free.

We are now toying with the idea of getting rid of the infinit for another full size suv. The new sequoias are very nice, but I'm gun shy! Gm have no room and I don't like how the third row seats don't fold into the floorboard. We like also the late model infinity qx56's, but they came only with a five speed trans, which probably pushes mileage down further at cruising speeds (versus a 6 speed auto).

I'm curious to know how reliable the new sequoias are? Any feedback against this would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be pleasantly surprised with the new Sequioas. Lots of redesigns were made to combat the problems of the older Sequioas. I bought my '08 used with 34K miles on it. It now has 41K without a hiccup. I looked at and compared it with the Tahoe and Expedition at the behest of my wife. I am not a fan of GM and the interior of the Expedition looked cheap. So we went with the Sequioa and have never been happier. A very comfortable truck; the ride is very smooth. Yes, the gas mileage may not be as good as a small SUV, but it is still the most economical way to move a large family and their stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts