Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dummy bolt of the serpentine belt tensioner broke. 2013 Camry LE (4 cylinder).

What is the best way to remove the serpentine belt?

As shown below, the tensioner seems to have another dummy bolt on the far side (at the black wheel). Maybe that is accessible from below?

Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Rav4 uses the same tensioner part #. We can see how the belt is detensioned from the wheel well via the tensioner's second dummy bolt. I'll just take a look tomorrow to see if that is accessable in the Camry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today we replaced serpentine belt. Since the tensioner's top dummy bolt was broken, we used the bottom dummy bolt, as used for the Rav4 etc. We removed the passenger wheel and the small plastic cover with 2 bolts at the front of the wheelwell. Then used a simple open-ended wrench (14mm?) clockwise to loosen the belt. Old belt looked fine, although it had some sparkling sand embedded in the grooves. We quickly cleaned all the pullies and checked everything spun properly.

A helper was very helpful to install the new belt (Toyota 90916A2021) on from underneath. Helper aligned belt from above. I just loosened the tensioner and slid the belt over the tensioner pulley. Removal & install took about 15 minutes total.

FYI - I think belt tensioner "loosening" rotation direction is different for the 4 and 6 cylinder engines but not certain.

Saved us $150 on a new tensioner. And we have the old belt in the trunk for emergency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts