Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
@Vangm25 It is tight. And looking at that link I was thinking it didn't look like that tool would be much different by the time you get the adapters on. Hate to see you spending $$ only to find it doesn't fit either. :confused:
Same, we'll see what happens. Like I said before, I just rather not break the tensioner again. I did give it a smaller bolt to make removal easier but then it's like, what do you do when you gotta change component X then Y then Z when those go bad. I'll just have to take a look at the clearance and determine it. My uncle has two dedicated serpentine belt tools with ratcheting but fixed sockets and that did not fit and the clearance on that was too tight. On that note you could also just blame muscle strength. 馃樀 At this point I am looking more into the GearWrench belt tool again.

(was gonna try Harbor Freight but again it looks like clearance issues)

Registered
i just look at my serpentine belt tensioner bolt this morning, about 3 inches +/- half inch clearance, my astro pneumatic nano 3/8" 19mm stubby socket is about 1" tall, with harbor freight dual flex 14.5 inches long handle ratchet, thin profile, enough for leverage and clearance, therefore took the belt off without any struggle.

the 1/2" drive and socket will be very tight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
i just look at my serpentine belt tensioner bolt this morning, about 3 inches +/- half inch clearance, my astro pneumatic nano 3/8" 19mm stubby socket is about 1" tall, with harbor freight dual flex 14.5 inches long handle ratchet, thin profile, enough for leverage and clearance, therefore took the belt off without any struggle.

the 1/2" drive and socket will be very tight.
I wanna say my cousin brought me his tool and it didn't it but we also didn't have a stubby socket.

Registered
Hi all,
Per my other thread I seem to have a pulley, hopefully just the alternator, making light grinding noise from cold start up and going away when warm (please reply to that thread about it). So right now I am planning on remove the serpentine belt so I can troubleshoot it more other than assuming it's the alternator. I have broken two serpentine belt tensioners on a 2AZ-FE. One was when I was in school and my cousin and I were struggle with the belt so we had "the big guy" do it. Needless to say he snapped it and that this belt tensioner was of the hydraulic type so we were doing it wrong anyway. The second time was on my car and I snapped mine by just bad luck and probably by having the wrong tools (aka probably two wrenches). The one thing I learned the first time was to push/pull slowly... except mine is the spring type and it snapped...

So in order to prevent this I want to get a serpentine belt tool set, probably this GearWrench, so I can get the proper leverage on the tensioner without struggling. The only issue I see right now is that the clearance is really tight and looking at the GearWrench I don't think it will fit. When I did mine I had my cousin bring the non-similar belt tools and those either failed to fit the bolt or had clearance issues and those seems smaller than the GearWrench. I'm willing to invest in the tool even if I use it once because I rather not have to remove a broken tensioner each time. So does anyone else have any luck with not breaking their tensioner with any belt tools?

I am a novice but the one I rented from Napa didn't work with Toyota. I returned it. I seen one online specifically for Toyota. I don't know which models it works with though.

Registered
I recently broke my tension "dummy" bolt. I don't believe the tool is at fault, but the user. If I had to do it again, I'd make sure the following is done - Have someone assist me and pull straight down...not at an angle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I recently broke my tension "dummy" bolt. I don't believe the tool is at fault, but the user. If I had to do it again, I'd make sure the following is done - Have someone assist me and pull straight down...not at an angle.
I think it is both and that is in addition to the bolt being very brittle. Not having a long enough tool, improvising something that is sketchy, or even a socket that actually touches the bolt. Then the just the user not having help, not pushing the right way, not push the proper way, and just not choosing a good enough tool. When I did my belt last year, I did it in the street with minimal tools being a 19mm wrench and another wrench for more leverage. My main set of tools are at my dads house 30 minutes away and I didn't want to drive all the way there to do it. And even then I don't believe I would've had the right tools to relieve the tension. I had my cousin bring some tools from the shop and eventually the dummy broke.

Registered
from my experience, i have to push down clockwise very SLOW to feel the tiny movement first, and then slowly, apply a little bit more force, hold it for a seconds, and consistently just push a little more, then the belt will have slack.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
from my experience, i have to push down clockwise very SLOW to feel the tiny movement first, and then slowly, apply a little bit more force, hold it for a seconds, and consistently just push a little more, then the belt will have slack.
With the hydraulic tensioners they are like that. When I did mine I thought I had a hydraulic tensioner but it turned out to be a spring. tensioner. Regardless, I didn't have the right tools, little to no leverage, and not much strength. :eek: Whatever strength there was snapped that bolt.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts