Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
If this is an automatic transmission what the heck do you think the park position is for ? It is to park the vehicle and keep it from rolling away and causing damage or harm to someone. I don't even understand why you are asking. Vehicles set for long periods of time in park .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is because my ignition lock cylinder is broken and I cannot turn the key. (To turn the key takes like 15 minutes.) I went to a dealership but they told me that it would take a week to get a replacement lock cylinder. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Why?

These engines are not designed to idle for extended periods. The fuel mixture is optimized for driving, not idling. At extended idle, you can have oil contamination issues, as well as carbon build-up.
The electric fan will also be running continuously, which will prematurely wear out the fan, and dramatically increases the load on the alternator. If either fails, the engine will overheat and you'll be replacing your head gasket, possibly the block.
Parked outside, someone will steal it... and in Los Angeles, if someone reports it, you'll get a $500 ticket, other cities may do the same.
Parked inside, the carbon monoxide will work its way into the home and kill you.

·
6,226 Posts
Did you try to spray lubricate lock inside? Insert straw and spray some lube in.Insert key, wiggle it some. Insert straw, spray some in again. Key, wiggle.

Lock has 2 components - cylinder and housing. They are, normally, made out of 2 different metals and, as such, they create was is called galvanic couple. Resulting in galvanic current going between them with subsequent oxidization in the gap between the 2 components. Greyish white slime, if you ever saw it. It then blocks cylinder pins or simply will resist turning. Especially if car is parked outside in humid hot climate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But once turns off the car. It can take up to 20 mins to turn the key. A dealer told me that a replacement cylinder will not arrive at the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
But once turns off the car. It can take up to 20 mins to turn the key. A dealer told me that a replacement cylinder will not arrive at the end of the week.
Then plan your day accordingly. I honestly doubt that it takes 20 minutes.. and your earlier post you said 15... it's probably more like 2 or 3.
Regardless... Park it and rent a cheap car until it can be fixed, or deal with it taking a little longer to start.

If you insist on leaving it running for a week, it's your 25 year old car and your problems to deal with when the abuse causes the charging or cooling system to crap out.
Do whatever you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts