Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Pickup
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to set the timing and adjust the idle on my 85 22r. Do you adjust the idle first and then set the timing, or does it matter?

I adjusted the idle to 700 rpm for MT. I did not mess with the fast idle cuz I couldnt figure out how to set the fast idle cam.

Then I adjusted the timing. Initially, without taking off any vacuum hoses, the timing was about 12. Taking off the hoses to the distributor, the timing was 0. Is that right? The engine seems to be missing a little.

Under the hood, it says timing should be 0, BTDC. The service manual says 0 TDC with vacuum advance cut, what ever that means.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
means vacuum advance off and plugged at the distributor.set the timing then check the idle then check the timing again.it might be off just a little from idle,just do a final check.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Fast idle is for when the motor is cold. If you look at the carb linkage you will see a stepped cam. IIRC, the fast idle step has a "V" pointer stamped into it.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Pickup
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I set the fast idle cam, plugged off the hoses, and tried setting the fast idle. THe screw I was adjusting was just on top of the idle up diaphram.

The fast idle read 1,600 rpm, which seemed fine. The manual recommends 2600. I tried to raise the fast idle, and lower the fast idle, but nothing changed when the screw was turned. The idle up diaphram was loose so I tightened the bolt on the carb. It seemed like it was loose where it connected to the link, around a green connector.

Wonder if the idle up diaphram is not connected to the link properly? Or, maybe a bad EGR valve? THere is constant air sucking from the pipe inside the air cleaner. THe mixture control valve also did not pass the test.

Any ideas?

·
water as fuel enthusiast
1985 Toyota pickup
1 Posts
Can we take it easy with the acronyms? This is a forum for potentially un-mechanical types. Please spell out the acronyms. Thank you kindly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts