Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 07 access cab 2wd 4cyl for hauling around two dirt bikes.
I'm looking to get ideas or what other folks had done in setting up the bed. I do not want to turn the bed into swiss cheese by drilling to many holes for D rings and wheel chocks. I want to try to do this in one shot.
Has any body used this ramp bed extender? http://www.rockymountainatv.com/pro...s&webCatId=21&stockId=31613&prodFamilyId=5913
Or this bed buddy?
http://www.motorcycleramps.com/bed-buddy-tie-down.htm
Roger

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
There is a DIY in the sticky that shows you how to add more d rings to the front of the bed without drilling buying more than just the rings themselves.

Just a warning, dont try to use the bedrail system to hold the bikes.

Also, look into the tailgate TSB. Some of the tailgates are not reinforced properly and will bend if they have over 200lbs on them. There is a list of TSB's and their info in the STICKY section. As well as a handful of other fun DIYs and useful info.

Congrats on the new Taco!

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma
10 Posts
I haven't hauled a bike yet in my Tacoma but here's a tip that I used in other trucks. You'll want to keep the weight off the tailgate once loaded. Get yourself a scissor jack and put beneath the bike and jack it up enough to swap the weight from the rear tire to the center. This may not be as much of an issue with lighter dirt bikes as it is with my Softail. Also, be careful when you roll up against the front of the bed that you don't hit your fender on the front of the bed or cab and watch when you pull the straps tight. I usually put a 4x4 in front of the tire to keep it off the front of the bed some.

TL

·
Taking Donations.
2006 tacoma DC 4x4
753 Posts
What I do to haul my bikes is:

1: front D rings are an absolute must
2. use the bed rail system(on on each side of tire) to keep the front tire stable.

I wouldnt worry too much about the tailgate if you have the newest verison of the TSB.

·
Registered
tacoma
486 Posts
i have seen ( sorry no pics) of one person getting the standard front wheel chock and mounting it to a sheet of plywood. he cut the plywood to match the pattern of the bed around the inner fenders. so when he hauls bikes he just puts the plywood in then the chocks .
takes only a bit of garage space and no truck space when not needed.

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
ive got a ready ramp...

I believe its a good investment.......bike ramps are usually what?, $150-200 range and a Toyota Bed extender is $200+ .......so this thing defintely kills 2 birds with one stone.........ive used the ready ramp more as a bed extender than as a bike ramp.....so its always getting used instead of just sitting in the garage.

The only downfall i see is that since it acts also as a bed extender....the ramp is short (giving it a steep angle when im ready to load/unload my bike)

With that being said I now have Q?
Just started riding......anybody have anytips on loading an unloading bikes...for loading i just run the bike up the ramp and for unloading i ride the handbrake until its on the ground...

·
Registered
08 Tacoma
42 Posts
Marnes, thats the way I've done it for years. Depending on how tall you are, sometimes it is nice to have a step when you are pushing the bike into the truck so you can just step up into the bed as you roll it up. I use my bike stand for that - it works great.

Other than that, my only other advice is don't ever be an idiot who thinks he is so cool he can ride his bike up into the back of his truck. Bad idea. I've seen quite a few idiots have their pride handed to them when they tried to do that.

Hope that answers your question. If not, what specifically are you having problems with when loading and unloading your bike?

BTW, 2 people always makes loading and unloading MUCH easier ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a bed buddy and a ready ramp, and after bending my tail gate with my dirtbike--the gater saver. I'm fabbing up a way to attach the ready ramp to the gater saver--it's at the powder coater now, but I will post pictures when I get it back.

The only thing I don't like about the bed buddy is that the tie down points on it are a little too narrow, making the outboard strap a little too steep. I'm trying to come up with a wider tie down point for them.

~T

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
Other than that, my only other advice is don't ever be an idiot who thinks he is so cool he can ride his bike up into the back of his truck. Bad idea. I've seen quite a few idiots have their pride handed to them when they tried to do that.
i have yet to have had my pride handed to me while doing that......
(good thing i have trailer now, otherwise i'd probably get owned this weekend now that i said that.)

·
I'm No Expert! (TM)
2007 Tacoma
34 Posts
I found no need to change anything to haul my bike in my prerunner.

See pic

The side rails hold something like 400 lbs, which is more than enough for my 250 lbs bike. I use a canyon dancer handlebar strap and two regular tie-down straps, then I use a ratcheting tie down strap on the back, around the wheel and between the D-rings. Also use the same strap to secure my ramp.

Friend of mine has a lowboy taco, he's set it up to carry two bikes, all he did was add a piece of plywood with two front tire braces like you can buy for cheap at cycle gear and such, and still straps down on the rails.

Best o' luck.

I secure my ramp to the tailgate w/ tie down straps and the D-rings in the back of the bed. I've seen plenty of guys get on too much throttle riding up and dig the ramp off their tailgate and make a spike-like faceplant. I've never had any trouble with a secured ramp, though you might bite it if you kill the bike half way up and have no place to dab a foot. LOL

·
I'm No Expert! (TM)
2007 Tacoma
34 Posts
how long should I wait? I been doing it almost 30 yrs w/o mishap. :) But seems almost every weekend someone bites it, and all of them don't have their ramps secured...

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
Marnes, thats the way I've done it for years. Depending on how tall you are, sometimes it is nice to have a step when you are pushing the bike into the truck so you can just step up into the bed as you roll it up. I use my bike stand for that - it works great.

Hope that answers your question. If not, what specifically are you having problems with when loading and unloading your bike?

BTW, 2 people always makes loading and unloading MUCH easier ;)
Thanks clear4dep.........i dont really have that much of a problem running the bike up...but more of a problem unloading it.....when i start to roll the bike down the ramp (while i get on and off the hand brake) the bikes rear wheel doesnt like to roll down in a straight line (even though im holding the handlebars straight)........therefore halfway down the ramp the bikes rear wheel is about to fall off the ramp.....wtf??? I think i just need more practice and put more muscle into it....lol

I see kids half my size unloading their bikes no problem. They just line up the rear tire with the ramp and let go of the hand brake and bring down the bike all in one motion....im jealous lol....then they see me, twice their weight, struggling to unload my bike and about to drop it off my bed :lol:

·
I'm No Expert! (TM)
2007 Tacoma
34 Posts
marnes,

you have to think of it like backing up a trailer... after you've unstrapped the bike, put it on the kickstand and muscle it into a straight line with the ramp. then, use the handlebars to steer the back end around as you're coming down the ramp. by the time the front tire is on the ramp, the bike should be nice and straight on the ramp and the back tire should already be more than half way down the ramp, by that time you just let go the brake like you mentioned and let it roll down the rest of the way. at that point, so long as the bars are straight, it won't matter if the back end steers away, it'll be off the ramp before it gets too far to the side.

good luck :)

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
marnes,

you have to think of it like backing up a trailer... after you've unstrapped the bike, put it on the kickstand and muscle it into a straight line with the ramp. then, use the handlebars to steer the back end around as you're coming down the ramp. by the time the front tire is on the ramp, the bike should be nice and straight on the ramp and the back tire should already be more than half way down the ramp, by that time you just let go the brake like you mentioned and let it roll down the rest of the way. at that point, so long as the bars are straight, it won't matter if the back end steers away, it'll be off the ramp before it gets too far to the side.

good luck :)
thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
how long should I wait? I been doing it almost 30 yrs w/o mishap. :) But seems almost every weekend someone bites it, and all of them don't have their ramps secured...
Yes bed rails can support weight but the plastic rings which u attached your tie downs to cannot.

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
i was talking about the using the plastic cleats to secure the bike, not the ramp thing. i've ridden up the ramp for a long time too, without incident ( knock on wood )

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put one rail system tie down up front between the two wheels(about dead center) one at each corner up front. Tie the rear wheels together using the D-rings and sinch strap. I have hauled two DB's no probs and two street bikes a little tight but do-able. Catchya

1 - 20 of 23 Posts