Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 HHL, 2012 TCH
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have problems with the Bluetooth/Phone (we have the Entune JBL Plus system - highest level option on an XLE Hybrid)? The receive end of phone calls placed in our car can her severe echo whenever they speak. Essentially they hear their voice repeated back to them with about a 1 second time delay.

I went into the service menu (hold audio button and turn headlights on-off three times in a row) and selected HF Voice (Hands free Voice setting). I changed it from 0000 to 2200 - still echo. Also tried all other combinations such as 0100, 1000, 0200, 2000, 2100, 1200 ... as per Tech Tip T-TT-0377-15 - nothing helped this issue. This is very annoying to the people I am speaking to from the car. Both our iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 connected to the car have the same problems with the receive end. Calling a land-line or another cell phone - both have the same problem. It is repeatable.

Calls sound fine in the car and recipients hear me fine.

Not sure if it is our head unit or a software issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone have problems with the Bluetooth/Phone (we have the Entune JBL Plus system - highest level option on an XLE Hybrid)? The receive end of phone calls placed in our car can her severe echo whenever they speak. Essentially they hear their voice repeated back to them with about a 1 second time delay.

I went into the service menu (hold audio button and turn headlights on-off three times in a row) and selected HF Voice (Hands free Voice setting). I changed it from 0000 to 2200 - still echo. Also tried all other combinations such as 0100, 1000, 0200, 2000, 2100, 1200 ... as per Tech Tip T-TT-0377-15 - nothing helped this issue. This is very annoying to the people I am speaking to from the car. Both our iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 connected to the car have the same problems with the receive end. Calling a land-line or another cell phone - both have the same problem. It is repeatable.

Calls sound fine in the car and recipients hear me fine.

Not sure if it is our head unit or a software issue.

Not in your head (unit). I've heard the same complaint from the other end of the line, too (iPhone 6S user here). There is definitely a feedback issue which means the mic is still "open" and hearing what is coming out of the speaker. They might need a noise gate with a higher threshold that only opens with a live voice, not with what it "hears". Not sure if that is what that Tech Tip is trying to do. I will try it as see what happens on my side.

·
Registered
2015 HHL, 2012 TCH
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a setting in the iPhone for Noise Cancellation (Under Settings --> General --> Accessibility - It is currently on - I might turn it off to see what happens. The echo disappears if I go to speaker phone on the iPhone while in the car, so I know that it is not the receive end causing the problem. I have read that the iphone has some issues with certain bluetooth hands-free devices (the echo problem was present when using an Apple Watch with an iPhone - I think a software update recently fixed this though).

Maybe the head unit needs an update or maybe iOS 11 will fix it :)

Wondering how many other 2018 Camry owners are experiencing this as well? Is it only with iPhones or also with other brands?

·
Registered
2018 XSE V6
25 Posts
Count me in as having the problem. I haven't spent any time trying to troubleshoot it yet.

I have a 2018 XSE V6 with premium audio My phone is an iPhone 6S.

Very annoying - hope someone can isolate this soon.

I do have an Apple watch. I will try to consider that when I get time to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did some quick searching around online about this problem. People with other Toyotas have had this issue before. The recommendations I could see were to either turn down the volume of the call you're receiving, thereby preventing the persons voice from being picked up by the mic and being sent back to them or update your phone's software to the latest version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm happy to have found this thread. I have a 2018 Camry XSE that I use an iPhone 6S Plus. The echo is very annoying and I really hope that this is being addressed in a new software update as indicated by another user. My 2014 Camry XLE did not have this issue and I use hands-free phone via Bluetooth a lot. Thanks for sharing and posting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Echo...echo echo

Wondering how many other 2018 Camry owners are experiencing this as well? Is it only with iPhones or also with other brands?
Count me in as well. I have an iPhone 7+ and used it in my Venza with no issues whatsoever - voice quality was great and no echo to the other party.

Just got my '18 Camry XLE, and am having MAJOR issues with the 'echoback' (LOL I just coined a new term) to the other party. This is a stupid issue to have, and since it worked just fine in my Venza - I'm blaming something in the Camry system. My wife has a slightly older Camry and her phone does the same thing to me when I call it... I get horrible 'echoback'

I wrote a note to Toyota but who knows when/if it will be answered... this is unacceptable. iPhone 8s are out now - wonder how they are doing with this system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
45 to MAX

Its a known issue, Toyota’s current work around is to keep the volume below 45. They are expecting a software update to correct it in a few weeks.
Hope that fixes the issue! The problem is - having the volume below 45, I can't hear the caller - I have to have it on MAX :crying:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the 2018 Camry XLE V6, had the echo problem on the receiver end. I had gotten this car because I never got over the problem I had with Entune and the 2014 XLE I had. Realized after 3 days that this new Camry had the echo problem. I was sick because I loved the car. My dealer understood completely and encouraged me to move to a new car to see if it was an individual radio problem.
I found the 2018 Camry XSE in the same basic color (Wind Chill Pearl and Black), radio worked fine and the Entune system passes every test. One week, two brand new cars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
2018 XLE with the Premium Entune system and a Samsung Galaxy S8 Android phone. Aside from very mild echoing heard on the other end (which have now become rare) there has been no problem. Nobody on the receiving end has noted any repeat echos. I've had no problems with phone calls and, hallelujah, I can actually make calls using Voice Recognition, something that I could almost never do in my 2015 XLE. With one small exception, VR has nailed phone call requests every time. The new Dynamic VR is excellent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Possiblle tempory solutions for bluetooth hands free calling echo?

It seems like most of the echoing(feedback) problem is occurring on Apple iPhone.

1) I would suggest try turning off the "HD Voice" , "Enhanced HD Voice" or "Voice over Data". While enabled(Default) the iPhone uses a different algorithm and network to enhance the voice quality during a call. Phone may sound like it is in speaker phone when this is working.

I believe the the higher trim Camry's Horn Tweeter can throw off the iPhone HD voice algorithm. Hence the reason why the last generation Camry did not have call quality issue because it used the old twitter, which was just rather a small speaker on the dash.

2) Also has anyone figured out how to access the hidden multimedia menu? You may be able to adjust the Bluetooth microphone sensitivity though that menu, which will most likely reduce the echo.

Here is a link on how to access the hidden menu in Lexus:
Here is a link from ClubLexus on how to access the hidden service menu: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/838722-how-to-enter-into-hidden-menu-for-navigation.html

Can someone try and see if either of the my suggestions works?

·
Registered
123 Posts
fix?

i have had this problem to when talking to my wife when she is driving the best fix would be to turn the radio down a little bit in the car and it fixes the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have had this problem to when talking to my wife when she is driving the best fix would be to turn the radio down a little bit in the car and it fixes the problem
Unfortunately... no that doesn't work for me.

When the volume is turned down, I cannot hear incoming conversation. When it is turned up, it echoes back (severely) to the person calling my car.

It seems the microphone in the car is far too sensitive to incoming sounds... i.e. it doesn't turn off, when conversation comes in to the car... someone said earlier that Toyota is working on a fix to this.

We've had the issue on two Camrys now... my wife's older one and my new one - and it did the same thing whether we were using Blackberries or iPhones. I'll be looking for a hidden menu in the entune system at lunch. :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Echo... for what it's worth

For what it's worth...
I have my system phone volume set below 45, and last night I increased my 'in call' volume on my iPhone to max... what a difference that made! It's still not optimum but is MUCH better than what it was! My callers hear a little of an echo but I can hear them now!:wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Echo

New 2018 XLE from last week

Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring. Echo is so bad (even when turning down volume) on receivers end. Have not been able to use. Waiting for update.

Also just want to say I am unhappy with the artwork not being displayed or pictures of contacts showing up - only when stopped. Very strange explanation from Toyota.

Please keep thread open for any updates.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts