Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Avalon Hybrid
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited for over 3 years and have put 76k miles on it. I've never had one single problem.

(I am posting this here as it is a far more active board than the Avalon Hybrid one.)

I decided to change the spark plugs at 150k miles and purchased new ones at the dealership. The install was no problem and very easy.

However, immediately thereafter I have a severe hesitation/jerking at just off throttle - as when going down a hill but you are still giving it a little gas. It runs perfectly at all other times. It definitely feels like there is something wrong with the engine and not the PSD.

My question is this: Could this be from a bad spark plug or is it more likely that a coil went bad during the spark plug change?

·
6,685 Posts
I'd start with re inspecting install. All it take sis loose connector or not fully inserted coil pack.

Does it show any codes, CEL? Misfire will surely produce CEL.
I think, you have something disconnected.

Re check.

·
Registered
2013 Avalon Hybrid
3 Posts
Thank you all for the help. Turns out it was one of the spark plugs that had either been bumped or was defective from the factory. The gap had been reduced to about the width of a hair. It caused all kinds of problems, but threw no codes/check engine light.
While I would have normally checked the gap before installing, the dealer parts guy said they were pre-gapped and not to try to adjust it.

Lesson - always check the gap before inserting.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.