Toyota Nation Forum banner

Shake @ 55-60 mph under acceleration only?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  sugarloafpkwy 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 5 speed 1.6l Corolla. The tires are new, and so is the timing belt and all tune-up related components. The car is smooth except when I accelerate or go up hills in 5th gear around 60mph. Any ideas? Thanks, Bert

#9 ·
The motor mounts check out OK. I did a visial check and looked for excessive engine movement with the brakes on while letting the clutch out in 1st and reverse.
It feels like an unbalanced wheel. But, I have rotated the tires with no change and the tires are only about 1000 miles old. Any more thoughts? Thanks, Bert

#12 ·
I could not get it to shake in 2nd gear with full throttle. It will shake some in 4th but much more in 5th above 55mph when accelerating. With light throttle or none there is no shake. Can I get under the car and grab the drive axles and inspect them to find that they are causing the shake? The car has 87k miles. The CV joints do not click when the steering is full left or right. Thanks, Bert

#13 ·
The problem ended up being the inner drive axle joint on the passengers side. The boot was not split but still it had lost a lot of it's grease. The grease was splattered onto the firewall. My mechanic said that this is fairly common on this car (Prizm's too). So, look for grease on the firewall near the inner joint, passenger side. If you find grease here, regrease the joint before it wears out like mine did. Thanks for the tips, Bert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.