Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I recently put brand new tires on my 05 Corolla. After the new tires were put on the car start to shake and shimmy. The shake isn't bad but the car did not have any problems. I have had the tires balanced 6 times and although the car it better it still shakes alittle. The strange thing is that it likes to shake between 75 and 79 mph. Any slower or any faster and the car is fine. Everybody seems to think that I got defective tires and I agree. Does anyone have any other suggestions or shall I change the tires and see what happens. The car is solid and doesn't seem to have any loose parts. It is a 2005 Corollas S.:confused:

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
I'd say try to get different tires.. what brand did you get?? hope it wasn't a cheap one.

·
Registered
983 Posts
ems said:
Hi everybody, I recently put brand new tires on my 05 Corolla. After the new tires were put on the car start to shake and shimmy. The shake isn't bad but the car did not have any problems. I have had the tires balanced 6 times and although the car it better it still shakes alittle. The strange thing is that it likes to shake between 75 and 79 mph. Any slower or any faster and the car is fine. Everybody seems to think that I got defective tires and I agree. Does anyone have any other suggestions or shall I change the tires and see what happens. The car is solid and doesn't seem to have any loose parts. It is a 2005 Corollas S.:confused:
Rotate both the front tires to the back and see if the shimmy goes away...Odds are you don't have more then one bad tire(it happens) ...good luck...Radd Guy...

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
REN! Cheap tires did me fine when I first got the car and couldn't afford good tires. YAY Canadian tire and the motomaster tires. BUt then again most tires for the 13" rim are cheap hahah
And my car used to do that around 160km/h think it started at like 155 to 160ish and stoped and that was with michellins!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried rotating and it does get a little better but for some odd reason it still shakes a little at 75 mph. The car was perfect until I got the stupid tires. It is annoying.

·
drive hard n drive fast
86 nova/rolla
102 Posts
vibration issues

go to a tire shop which has a hunter gsp 9700 road force balancer . n get em balanced .. could be a bent rim ?? or just needs to be match mounted ... should take care of the problem ...dont use the john bean laser imaging balancer it blows chunks .. this should fix youre vibration problem !!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :whatwhat:

·
You asked for it...
392 Posts
It wasn't there before, it is now, so what changed? It almost has to be: Bad tires or poorly mounted tires, or (long shot) they bent the rims putting the tires on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got them balanced one more time and it is a little better. I really think it is the tires. My friend has the same car so I am going to flip the tires around and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
my dad had a set of Goodyear Aquatread 3's on his camry no matter what he did they still had weird wear and a slight vibration. He had them balanced a few times, had 2 alignments, rotated them, talked to goodyear and to 3 toyota dealers, what it came down to was a bad combination of conditions regarding tire design, load, and alignment angles, and he ended up driving like that for 3 years....now hes running on Michelin Hydro-edge with no problems

·
Registered
114 Posts
Get used to it!

you know......I don't want to scare you but both of my fucken corollas have the same problem.....Toyota should learn how to make better steering knuckles, ball joints...its annoying but get used to it........Another problem that will pop up in time is an annyoning rough idle when stopped at a red in drive....:hammer:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ghost said:
you know......I don't want to scare you but both of my fucken corollas have the same problem.....Toyota should learn how to make better steering knuckles, ball joints...its annoying but get used to it........Another problem that will pop up in time is an annyoning rough idle when stopped at a red in drive....:hammer:
You might have a point there ghost, on my 03S I only went from a 195-65-15 to a 205-65-15 and in 8k miles it tore the inside tread of both my front tires up (skipping-erratic wear) my alignment was perfect but they said it threw my suspension angle off...I have the same tires but in the right size now at 15K with no problems...They replaced my tires free by the way :clap: Radd Guy...

·
Registered
2002 Camry
58 Posts
Hey guys,

I drive a 2002 Camry LE, and I am experiencing same type of problem of slight vibration. Mine occurs around the 70's MPH range as well. The stock tires were 205/65/15, and now I am running on Hankook K106 225/45/17. I had it balanced, but still feel it slightly. Before I made the switch (got new rims + tires), the stock tires had very shallow tread, but it did not vibrate at all from 1 - 120 MPH.

I tested out the Hankooks today again just to verify, same problem exist. It vibrated around the 70's MPH range, but when I took it up to 110ish, it was fine.

I guess the problem, like y'all stated, is the tires. I'll make sure to save up some money and buy better tires when these Hankooks are ready to go, but meanwhile, I'll just have some fun w/ it while "trying" to ignore the vibration.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ghost that sounds really good and their are lots of garages in my area that have it. I'll definately give it a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts