Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never owned a toyota before, but after my recent marriage, i've come into possesion of HER 99 corolla. After starting the mantinence process that was neglected by others, when I get up to 65/70mph. it shakes, almost like a vibration. I changed the brakes and checked the rotors, they are all new and smooth. Recently I was told to check the bushings on the sway bar. After reading im now assuming there is a front and rear. The bushings are 9 dollars, and im pretty handy with cars so I'm intending on changing these on my own, just wanting to clarify that this could be the problem cause i dont wanna have to get everything out and taken apart then find out its not the problem. Also, if there is a way someone could kinda walk me through this process, i believe its just jacking the car up, removing a couple bolts, slip the new bushings in and then reassembly. correct me if im wrong please.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Probably not the sway bar bushings.

Here are a few possibilities:
- the front wheels are out of balance. Swap the rear wheels to the front and see if that makes a difference. If so, get the wheels rebalanced.
- the tires have a flat spots or are unevenly worn. Again, switch the rears to the front and see if this makes a difference.
- one/both front wheels are bent. Swap the rear wheels to the front and see if this stops the vibration in the steering wheel.

If the steering wheel shakes at certain speeds, it usually means the front wheels/tires are out of balance. If you can feel your seat shaking at certain speeds, the rear wheels/tires are probably out of balance.

If a car pulls to the left or right, it's probably out of alignment.

If the steering wheel shakes ONLY under braking, the front rotors may be "warped".

·
Registered
397 Posts
another consideration are the front axles

check the front CV boots and check to see if they cracked or broken. if enough dirt got into them, the bearings could be damaged and cause the shake

but as hokie said, I would probably lean towards the wheels being out of balance or alignment first

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
This is just from my experience so it may not be a 'no exceptions, always works' type of thing but try noting where it starts and then increase speed. If it stops about 10 MPH later then it's probably wheel balance. So if it starts at 65 and clears up around 73-78 or so, then it's likely a balance problem. This could be a bent rim or inner belt separation in the tire which balancing won't cure however. Other problems tend to continue and or get worse as speed increases. FWIW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will deffinitly try the rotating of the tires first, then take them into get balanced if that fixes it.

And the shaking usually does stop if i increase speeds about 10 mph faster.
so let me see if this works and if not i will get back to you guys.

Thanks

·
TRD Corolla
02 Toyota Corolla
72 Posts
my wheels are out of balance on my 02, I can't break 65 and still have control of the steering wheel.

I would rebalance but it costs so much, waiting to buy new tires first

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my wheels are out of balance on my 02, I can't break 65 and still have control of the steering wheel.

I would rebalance but it costs so much, waiting to buy new tires first

It's only 30 bucks here, but im going to just rotate them first and see if that fix's it at all then next check i'll spend the 30 bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2008 Sequoia 4X4 Limited with 20 miles on it. I bought it in Oregon and drive it back home to Southern California. It started to vibrate at 55mph. Long story short, the Sequoia needs a new front axle. The dealership in California said that Toyota was aware of this issue!

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
695 Posts
Could also be tie-rods. Mine would shake at highway speeds and it would vary a little if I turned the wheel a little to the left or right. Doing that would change the amount of pressure on the tie-rods. Got it changed and an alignment and it was fine after that. The Buick I'm driving now is doing the same thing and need to get it checked out.

Rotating tires will usually help give a smoother ride for a bit but if there's still a problem it'll come back. Best to have it checked out.

Gil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could also be tie-rods. Mine would shake at highway speeds and it would vary a little if I turned the wheel a little to the left or right. Doing that would change the amount of pressure on the tie-rods. Got it changed and an alignment and it was fine after that. The Buick I'm driving now is doing the same thing and need to get it checked out.

Rotating tires will usually help give a smoother ride for a bit but if there's still a problem it'll come back. Best to have it checked out.

Gil
I could take it to like Meineke or some place like that to get the tierods and everything checked out right?

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
695 Posts
Sure. Take it to a few places that give free estimates to get a range of cost.

Gil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts