Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. I have a 2014 Toyota Camry SE with 72k miles. I have had a shaking/pulsing feeling in my floorboard and gas/break pedals for awhile but I only really noticed it when I was going highway speeds, I had gotten my tires aligned and they let me know I had a warped rotor and so I did a brake job and put on new rotors and pads. The shaking from actually pressing the brakes has gone away so there definitely was some amount attributed to the warped rotor however I still have that shaking/pulsing going on. It’s mostly shaking at city speeds but once I get going it feels and sounds like a rhythmic pulsing. I don’t think I feel it much in the steering wheel and only slightly on the gas pedal but if I just rest my foot on my brake pedal or some spots on the floor I can feel it more.

Any insight is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low speed is most likely a bent rim. High speed can be either a bent rim or out of balance or both.
I have unfortunately had two instances of driving over a nail and getting a flat, if bent rim is the problem is this something I should look to getting fixed ASAP? I’m a college student so money is usually pretty tight.

·
6,226 Posts
1. rhythmic pulsation is normally attributed to delaminated tire belt. It may show itself as hump in the tire - or may not, if it delaminated inside. Such problems tend to show themselves at low speeds and go away at high ones.
2. bad strut
3. bad axle shaft CV joint.
4. mechanical damage somewhere in suspension. Hit the curb, bent something or disloged.
I have never seen bent rim - and had few - do any problem. If it's bent too much, you won't be able to drive on, tire will not keep pressure, if just a little - had those, never an issue. Actually, drove on one for couple years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. rhythmic pulsation is normally attributed to delaminated tire belt. It may show itself as hump in the tire - or may not, if it delaminated inside. Such problems tend to show themselves at low speeds and go away at high ones.
2. bad strut
3. bad axle shaft CV joint.
4. mechanical damage somewhere in suspension. Hit the curb, bent something or disloged.
I have never seen bent rim - and had few - do any problem. If it's bent too much, you won't be able to drive on, tire will not keep pressure, if just a little - had those, never an issue. Actually, drove on one for couple years.
If it is 1-4 what should my priority be on those? I have to drive a couple hundred miles this weekend for a trip, should I be safe to drive?

·
6,226 Posts
step 1 is to move tire around. say, from front left to rear right. should noise follow, then you KNOW it's tire. those are not repairable, it's replacement. if it's 2-4, it needs to be inspected by suspension guy. 3 can be inspected by visual and hand tug/pry bar. there should be zero play in CV joint or torn boots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts