Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 4Runner with 157K miles. Did a brake less job less than 6,000 miles ago. New front pads, turned the rotors, same for the rear drums. Now within the last 1,000 miles if I break hard (like someone stops short) the entire front is shakes and bucks hard. Basically if you have Coke in the cup holder it will go everywhere. Also appears to be some racking of the steering wheel left and right. I've put it up on the jacks and checked the front rotors, rear drums, and pads, and everything looks fine. Pushed and pulled on suspension items, nothing seems to have any play in it. It does have ABS. Any suggests or recommendation are much appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
ABS will do this on some vehicles but if it didn't before then I would suspect a warped rotor. Sometimes having them turned takes the 'hardness' out of them or they are too thin. Hit some water while they are hot from braking hard and instant warp even if they were smooth when you first had them turned. Of course, it could be something really serious as bad as you make it sound. Like a wheel bearing or other major component getting ready to fail.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If you get grease or brake fluid on a part of the rotor, even if you think you cleaned it off, it can act just like a warped rotor. What happens is some of the disk has less friction than the other part, and it gives a jerky effect on the brakes.

I'm not sure this is your problem, but if you think it may be, pull off the wheels & calipers and give both sides of the rotor a good cleaning with Brake Parts Cleaner and a clean t-shirt and see if that helps. Sometimes even with cleaning it takes a few months before the effect goes away completely.

You may have better luck if you clean up both rotor surfaces with fine wet-or-dry sandpaper after using the brake cleaner, but be very careful to use the sandpaper evenly - remount the tire and have a friend spin the wheel as fast as he can while you hold the sandpaper block.

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
Does your rig have a hand brake? And the reason I ask is because I have a Landcruiser that had the same problem. I was able to isolate the problem using the hand brake to slow the vehicle down. And to my surprise it was not the front at all it was the rear brakes doing the vibration. Both drums out of round. But with all the vibration I thought that it was from the front because as you mentioned the wheel would shake and it felt like the front end was comming apart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am having the same problem.
Thanks for the suggestion regarding using rear brake to isolate where its coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shaking - Braking Response

Think I found the problem or at least have a hypothesis. The guy I bought the rig from took good records, and it turns out the last time the brakes were done, they turned the rotors. Well with todays rotors being so light on metal anyway, the turning just make them too thin and thus warped. The rotors didn't have any blueing, black marks, or other, but changing out the rotors/pads fixed it, so that's my take. (For now).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts