Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the problems actually just started last week. Every time i drive the car, it runs with no shaking or problems until it hits 65. when i do hit 65mph, the steering wheel starts to shake. Then when i reach 75, the shaking will stop and the car will drive normal again.

At first I thought it was the tires being unbalanced, cause the fronts did look a bit low. Well, i tried putting in air and balance the tires out a bit, no help. Then i started to think that it is wheel alignment. Could this be? or maybe even a bent axle or something? Does anybody know what the real problem may be?

·
Registered
633 Posts
It only makes me think of a bad balancing really, quite strange...
I already had this problem once I drove in the mud and the balancing was bad because of mud on one side of the rims but I guess it can't be that in your case. Perhaps can you try without your hubcaps ? I really don't know

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
check your bone mount (top of the engine). If it's cracked, that has to be replaced, the front one has to be replaced, the tranny/engine mount MAY have to be replaced, then get your alignment checked because one or both of your axles may need to be replaced.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Bring it to a tire shop and have them balance the tires. If balancing doesn't help you might have a seperation or they need to be "road force" mounted and balanced. It shouldn't cost more than 25 bucks to balance all 4 wheels. Road force balancing will have a higher charge.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
And it is harder to balance larger wheels-17" and up correctly. Make sure that the shop does a "Dynamic" balance in which they set wheel weights on the inside edge and as close as possible to the outside edge of the wheel. And make sure they have an electronic balancing machine and not the old fashioned bubble type(I don't think anyone still uses them). If that doesnt fix it check for other things like what bdeuce said.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I had the SAME exact problem at the SAME exact speed. Heres how I solved it.

YES, it is a balancing issure. Dont listen to anyone who tells you that you dont need to balance your rear wheels. Because you DO. You need to go to Costco and get it Balanced there. At Costco they do it for 4.25 a wheel. Thats an awesome price. And they use those little weights which they hide inside where they cant be seen that well. Im 100% sure that will fix your problem.

Thats how I fixed my problem. The problem was actually from the rear wheels not being balanced well. But Balance the front anyway. Its only 4 bux. Just to be sure.

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
^ what he said. i just had this problem two weeks ago and balancing fixed me right up. i got my car aligned too since it was already in the shop. you might want to do both.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when you mean balancing the tire, do you mean that they install a small metal piece on both tires?

Cause awhile back, my cousin was asking me where my balace pieces were on the tires and i just gave him a funny look and said, "what are you talking about?" Could this be the cause of the problem?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
^Thats exactly what it is. But from what I know there are two kinds. Theres the kind where they place the weights on the very edge of the rim, and the other hidden kind where its inside the rim about underneath your rotors. You SHOULD have the little ones even on your rims. I bet the glue holding 1 or 2 of them probably gave out and the weight it was holding fell off. Just go get All 4 of your tires balanced at a reputable shop.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks alot for all your help guys, i'll be bringing it in soon. Yet another way of spending money on the car without getting the parts i need for my new motor :mad:

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
should be like 5$ a tire to get them balanced, you're not breaking the bank... should have been done when the tires got mounted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts