Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only getting 37.1 (or so) on my new 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE driving it on ECO. Haven't approached the dealer yet, but it seems to me that is substantially less than the advertised average MPG. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
295 Posts
I am only getting 37.1 (or so) on my new 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE driving it on ECO. Haven't approached the dealer yet, but it seems to me that is substantially less than the advertised average MPG. Anyone else experiencing this?
During the colder months, gas is comprised of a winter blend that results in lower MPG. The change-over to summer blend should occur soon. So, do not fret; your MPG will improve once temps heat up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a lifetime average of just over 39 MPG with a non-hybrid 2019 XSE 2.5L (less than 15,000 miles). It's likely, however, that over 75% of the miles were "highway miles" and I'm not into jack-rabbit starts/starts. Frankly, I think I'm a borderline "hypermiler". Saves on everything (gas, engine, transmission, tires, brakes, blood pressure). With all due respect to benaround, winter blend gas or not, 37-ish MPG for a hybrid seems awfully low to me. Finally, and maybe I should have led with this, how are you coming to the 37.1 number?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I have 1,945 on the odometer. I keep the screen on the center screen that shows m.p.g and "distance to empty", etc., so that's what I use for mpg info. I've had the car since late December, bought new. The miles/distance to empty has been very accurate. Yes, it does seem awfully low to me and when the gas is changed to the summer blend it will be interesting to see if there is an improvement. What is interesting is that the mpg has hovered in the 37 range from the beginning. I've tried no fan, temp low, follow the "eco" info on my HUD (heads up display) to avoid going into the "red" or power. I know I don't drive a lot, and even less lately. Mostly a combination of surface and interstate, but no long interstate travel. I also use the adaptive cruise control when I can on the highway. Yesterday, I really hit it entering the highway (thinking since I don't drive that much it might be good for it in some way) hitting 72-75 mph and then cruising down to 65-70. Now it says just 37.0. I know that the XLE is heavier than say the LE (bigger wheels and more tech) but I expected more from the hybrid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had mine for a little over a month... and reading less than 200 miles (we are in lockdown here in Belgium). Normally I do that in 2 days.
I've achieved 45mpg on one trip and my average is 35mpg at the moment (keeping in mind the car is brand new).

I'm sure it will get better once the engine has been run in, give it another couple of thousand.
On the other hand, I think the best we can expect is about 42mpg... Don't forget this is a heavy car.

One thing that can help is the gas type. The higher octane number the better. Over here in Europe we have a choice between 95 and 98. Try premium gas, it will help in achieving a higher mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the insight. I agree that putting more miles might help, and I agree it is a heavier car. I think that is one of the reasons the 2020 Camry Hybrid LE does get better mileage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For comparison purposes, my non-hybrid 2019 Camry XSE 2.5L had the following:
  • at 1893 miles - lifetime avg of 38.7 MPG
  • at 13,042 miles - lifetime avg of 39.3 MPG
I'd like to recommend you try a different way of determining your MPG. It's a bit "old school" but I believe it is generally more accurate.
  • fill your gas tank and note your odometer's reading (it doesn't matter how many gallons you put in at this point).
  • drive as you normally would and just ignore all of the car's MPG numbers.
  • when the gas tank is at about 3/4 to 7/8 empty, re-fill your gas tank and note your odometer's reading again and how much gas you put in.
  • do math as follows: 2nd odometer reading minus 1st odometer reading then divide the result by how much gas, in gallons, you put in at 2nd fill up.
The result is the average MPG for the miles driven between the two odometer readings.

Note that, for better accuracy, you should try to fill your gas tank the same way both times. Even better, use the same gas station both times and do it in the relatively early morning. For example, I do the following when my approximately 16 gallon gas tank is near empty:
  • dispense about 10 gallons into tank at the fastest rate the gas pump handle will allow.
  • continue dispensing but at the the lowest "notch" on the gas pump handle.
  • when auto shut-off occurs, I count 5 seconds then again dispense at the slowest notch setting.
  • when auto shut-off occurs again, I again count 5 seconds then again dispense at the slowest notch setting.
  • when it auto shuts off again, I'm done.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
73 Posts
I have a 2018 Camry Hybrid LE with 48,000 miles on it now. The mpg hasn't really varied much on it since it was new. I use it mostly as a commuter car for work so about 95% of my driving is all interstate where I average speeds of around 70-72 mph. During the winter my running average is around 45 mpg and in the summer it is around 50 mpg. I figure my yearly average is somewhere around 47-48 mpg. I think the main reason the LE gets better mpg over the XLE and SE has to do with the tire size more than anything. Because there's only 100 lbs difference between even the heavier XLE and the LE. And I probably carry half that amount in my trunk at all times just for work.

The LE sports around on a set of 205/65R16" tires while the SE and XLE run on 235/45R18s. The LE averages 6 mpg more (EPA Avg) than the SE/XLEs do and they all share the same Li-Ion battery now. The SE shares the same feature package as the LE does, so the only difference is the wheels and tires. The weight is insignificant between the models. It is basically just the wheels and tires.

I really wanted to put a set of 18s on my Camry, but I'm simply not willing to take a 6 mpg hit for it. Besides, I can put a brand new set of stock tires on my Camry for under $500 installed. The whole reason I bought the car was to save money. I think it does that with a fair amount of class as is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Alain. I'll try that next time I have to fill up. Might be awhile, though. Ernie, I think you are right on the money with the tire size being the major factor. The XLE only promises 44/47, while the LE 51/53. Fortunately, since I don't drive hyper miles the extra fuel cost is not a big concern. However, after driving two Prius', the mileage was surprising low and I guess I expected more as it is a hybrid. My major motivation for the XLE was that it offered all the upgraded technology that I really wanted. If I could have gotten all that added to the LE I would have gone for the LE. I really wanted the emergency cross traffic braking and the parking assist which is awesome. One thing I can hold on to is that being a hybrid, it is a lower emissions vehicle, so there's that. Also, I am basically very pleased with how it drives. (Side Note: absolutely totally underwhelmed, extremely aggravated with the lack of quick resolution to the Remote Services/App problems (finally relsolved after about 3 months with info about a service bulletin that was ONLY on this board) that is free for 1 year and $8 a month afterward. With all the aggravation, and so-so services it provides, the "free trial" should be extended a year. But basically, it should be free as a part of the extras package I purchased.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nikita -- I had the same concerns as you after a month into my 2019 Camry Hybrid SE purchase last year.

Before I get into my MPG readings, let me note some of the variables that may or may not apply to you:
  • I'm in San Francisco, California where temp ranges between 50F and 70F
  • San Francisco has a lot of varying grades of steepness
  • While I live in SF, most of my driving is outside of it where there is less change in steepness grades
  • I'd say 80% of my driving is outside and only 20% of it inside
When I purchased my car, the reading read 21 MPG. I was floored. However, it improved as time passed. I didn't push the accelerator past its "green zone" in the meter and it got up to around 32ish after the first month if I recall correctly. A couple months later, the best I've EVER gotten is 42 MPG and that's as close to the average that I've ever seen. I've now had the car for over a year (purchased Jan 2019), and don't even think about it anymore and drive as I normally would any other car that I've owned/rented, which means a little heavier on the accelerator at times and that certainly pushes the meter past the green zone impacting fuel efficiency. I'm now hovering in at about 38/39 MPG. I've never hit the advertised 44/47MPG advertised

·
Registered
38 Posts
2019 XLE. 10,500 miles. 45.0 mpg lifetime (manually calculated). Trip computer says 44.7 mpg. It’s a bit higher in the warmer months. ECO for the last 4,000 miles — I like the coasting it does. I don’t do anything special to improve mileage but I do not have a heavy foot.

Mixed driving of commuting in heavy traffic 80 miles a day and commuting in suburban traffic 25 miles a day. In Seattle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2019 XLE. 10,500 miles. 45.0 mpg lifetime (manually calculated). Trip computer says 44.7 mpg. It’s a bit higher in the warmer months. ECO for the last 4,000 miles — I like the coasting it does. I don’t do anything special to improve mileage but I do not have a heavy foot.

Mixed driving of commuting in heavy traffic 80 miles a day and commuting in suburban traffic 25 miles a day. In Seattle.
Could you clarify whether your 2019 XLE is a hybrid or not? I'm guessing it's a hybrid as lifetime 45 MPG on a non-hybrid with most driving done in heavy traffic would be "impressive" and make me wonder where you hide the electromagnets /s (see World's Most Infamous Soap Box Derby Car, Akron, Ohio for context....)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a 2016 Avalon Hybrid and am right about 50 MPG. (per cars computer) It is not going to fall into your lap...you have to want it. I is not about some trick, it is driving style and knowing the roads you travel and squeezing every bit out of the situation, your terrain and conditions, and also not being concerned about the guy behind you. (you can only drive one car at a time....drive yours) If you are in a hurry...that is fine....just don't look at or be concerned about the numbers.

You have to want it.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2016 Avalon Hybrid and am right about 50 MPG. (per cars computer) It is not going to fall into your lap...you have to want it. I is not about some trick, it is driving style and knowing the roads you travel and squeezing every bit out of the situation, your terrain and conditions, and also not being concerned about the guy behind you. (you can only drive one car at a time....drive yours) If you are in a hurry...that is fine....just don't look at or be concerned about the numbers.

You have to want it.....
Maybe I'm missing something but this thread doesn't seem to be about not "wanting it" enough or expectations of rated MPG's just "falling into our laps". A few folks on this thread have concerns about their MPG's being more than just a little low (compared to rated) and, together, we're trying to work through why. BTW, I visited the effectively dead thread you linked to. I'm looking forward to trying some of the "non-trick" tricks so thanks for that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but this thread doesn't seem to be about not "wanting it" enough or expectations of rated MPG's just "falling into our laps". A few folks on this thread have concerns about their MPG's being more than just a little low (compared to rated) and, together, we're trying to work through why. BTW, I visited the effectively dead thread you linked to. I'm looking forward to trying some of the "non-trick" tricks so thanks for that.
Fortunately, since I don't drive hyper miles the extra fuel cost is not a big concern. However, after driving two Prius', the mileage was surprising low and I guess I expected more as it is a hybrid.
I've tried no fan, temp low, follow the "eco" info on my HUD (heads up display) to avoid going into the "red" or power. I know I don't drive a lot, and even less lately. Yesterday, I really hit it entering the highway (thinking since I don't drive that much it might be good for it in some way) hitting 72-75 mph and then cruising down to 65-70.
Haven't approached the dealer yet, but it seems to me that is substantially less than the advertised average MPG. Anyone else experiencing this?
but I expected more from the hybrid.
I think that if there were not so many trees blocking your view of the forest....that you could see that: that is exactly what it is about. The reason some are not getting their expected results is because "they" are not willing to drive their hybrid any different than a normal car.

Anyone that has an extraordinary skill or talent, has at some point added in a bit of effort to magnify it. I am truly sorry if this is not what people want to hear....but in real life....everyone does not get a trophy.

Is it possible that Toyota used drivers that had a slight amount of skill to get the final "rated mpg" values for the car? Is it possible that all car manufacturers use people that have driven the car a little bit, to get the rated mpg for the car? Does anybody really think that they are going to get the rated mpg out of any vehicle without a little effort?

I am truly sorry if any of you cannot see the truth of my words....but as with anything....once you see it...you cannot unsee it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a lifetime average of just over 39 MPG with a non-hybrid 2019 XSE 2.5L (less than 15,000 miles). It's likely, however, that over 75% of the miles were "highway miles" and I'm not into jack-rabbit starts/starts. Frankly, I think I'm a borderline "hypermiler". Saves on everything (gas, engine, transmission, tires, brakes, blood pressure). With all due respect to benaround, winter blend gas or not, 37-ish MPG for a hybrid seems awfully low to me. Finally, and maybe I should have led with this, how are you coming to the 37.1 number?
The mileage that you are getting with a non hybrid...is commendable! But you are on a hybrid forum commenting on vehicles that should be getting over 45mpg. That is why they are not happy....and why you do not see it. My car is rated 40mpg city and 39 highway....and I am getting 50mpg....with an occasional trip in the 55mpg range, on a larger car (2016 Avalon hybrid).
Hopefully....those that can see....see it.

If....If....you had a 2020 Camry Hybrid....you would also be getting 50mpg (with the skill that you have shown on a non-hybrid)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that if there were not so many trees blocking your view of the forest....that you could see that: that is exactly what it is about. The reason some are not getting their expected results is because "they" are not willing to drive their hybrid any different than a normal car.

Anyone that has an extraordinary skill or talent, has at some point added in a bit of effort to magnify it. I am truly sorry if this is not what people want to hear....but in real life....everyone does not get a trophy.

Is it possible that Toyota used drivers that had a slight amount of skill to get the final "rated mpg" values for the car? Is it possible that all car manufacturers use people that have driven the car a little bit, to get the rated mpg for the car? Does anybody really think that they are going to get the rated mpg out of any vehicle without a little effort?

I am truly sorry if any of you cannot see the truth of my words....but as with anything....once you see it...you cannot unsee it.
I think this where Gen Z'ers would say "OK Boomer" right? (asking for a friend ;))

·
Registered
42 Posts
The mileage that you are getting with a non hybrid...is commendable! But you are on a hybrid forum commenting on vehicles that should be getting over 45mpg. That is why they are not happy....and why you do not see it. My car is rated 40mpg city and 39 highway....and I am getting 50mpg....with an occasional trip in the 55mpg range, on a larger car (2016 Avalon hybrid).
Hopefully....those that can see....see it.

If....If....you had a 2020 Camry Hybrid....you would also be getting 50mpg (with the skill that you have shown on a non-hybrid)
Please show me how I don't "see" that they are not happy about not getting rated MPG. You'll have to peek around a tree or two. I'll wait.

Apology accepted.

I believe I'm getting, more or less, highway rated MPG because I'm, wait for it, mostly on the highway and not a lead foot in what little city driving I do. Go back and "see" for yourself.

Again, apology accepted.

I believe you're getting about 25% more than rated because you're, by definition, a bit of an extremist. Enjoy your trophy. Other's here are just hoping to get rated and no expectations of a trophy. Could it be they are just doing it wrong as you effectively, and aggressively, insist? You bet. I just prefer not to assume the worst in folk from the get go. That approach is somewhat distasteful to me.

Finally, all other things being equal, I disagree that I would be getting 50 MPG with a 2020 Camry Hybrid. I believe I'd be getting rated because I'm simply not made in your model and I already have, by some counts, too many "trophies".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts