Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Please show me how I don't "see" that they are not happy about not getting rated MPG.
I believe you're getting about 25% more than rated because you're, by definition, a bit of an extremist. Other's here are just hoping to get rated.
Finally, all other things being equal, I disagree that I would be getting 50 MPG with a 2020 Camry Hybrid. I believe I'd be getting rated because I'm simply not made in your model and I already have,
Thanks, Alain. I'll try that next time I have to fill up. Might be awhile, though. Ernie, I think you are right on the money with the tire size being the major factor. The XLE only promises 44/47, while the LE 51/53.
As Nikita451 pointed out in post #10, some Camry Hybrid models are rated 51/53. (mpg)
Other examples that you asked about are in Post #17...which coincidently are all from Nikita451.
I can only show you the water trough, you have to decide that you are thirsty.
I see that you cannot even accept a compliment without your TDS flaring up....post #18
Any other mpg questions...the answers can be found by clicking the link in post #14.

By the way Alain C., perhaps you have some nuggets of wisdom on driving a hybrid?

·
Registered
15 Posts
As Nikita451 pointed out in post #10, some Camry Hybrid models are rated 51/53. (mpg)
Other examples that you asked about are in Post #17...which coincidently are all from Nikita451.
I can only show you the water trough, you have to decide that you are thirsty.
I see that you cannot even accept a compliment without your TDS flaring up....post #18
Any other mpg questions...the answers can be found by clicking the link in post #14.

By the way Alain C., perhaps you have some nuggets of wisdom on driving a hybrid?
D-M (see what I did there?),

Please clarify what you meant by "...and why you do not see it." in your comment #18. What is it you think I don't see? My original interpretation of that poorly constructed comment of yours is that you think that I don't see that they are unhappy. If that is indeed the case, you're simply, and provably, wrong. If not, let's discuss.

I know what Nikita451, and others, have said. While I agree I likely would, with LITTLE EFFORT, be getting over 50 MPG with the LE, I likely wouldn't with the 44/47 MPG XLE which you, conveniently, simply ignored. It's the model which started the whole thread. Silly of me to assume that's what you were referring to in your "compliment", which, by the way, because you seem a little "snowflake-ish", THANK YOU BOOMER!

TDS, really(?). You come to this thread with, effectively, "your all a bunch of FU's and can't see or (now) quench your thirsts without accepting diesel-man's "truth" and, further, you all want trophy's for just showing up" and you think TDS will rattle my chain. Lame. You should loosen the RH strap, get back on your HCQ and try to get a good night's sleep in your RDW. Maybe even TTSOW, STL, ACMITM. After all, your ODL said it would work.

Finally, I'm sure I'd be able to offer at least some "nuggets of wisdom on driving a hybrid" but, again, in spite of what you want to believe, THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT! That's what, at least in some part, the dead thread you linked to is about. Wouldn't you feel more at home there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could you clarify whether your 2019 XLE is a hybrid or not? I'm guessing it's a hybrid as lifetime 45 MPG on a non-hybrid with most driving done in heavy traffic would be "impressive" and make me wonder where you hide the electromagnets /s (see World's Most Infamous Soap Box Derby Car, Akron, Ohio for context....)
Yeah, Camry Hybrid XLE with standard 18” wheels and tires. Air pressure is reduced to 34.0 psi from the recommended 35.0.

When commuting to work in the morning I may get as bad as 37.0 but driving home the exact same route and traffic I can get up to 50.0. I’m not sure why the variance because it’s fairly flat. Perhaps the temperature.

On my wife’s 2 hour Seattle commute in heavy traffic she averages about 45.0. Her route is not flat.

I have gotten as high as 52.0 on a full tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, Camry Hybrid XLE with standard 18” wheels and tires. Air pressure is reduced to 34.0 psi from the recommended 35.0.

When commuting to work in the morning I may get as bad as 37.0 but driving home the exact same route and traffic I can get up to 50.0. I’m not sure why the variance because it’s fairly flat. Perhaps the temperature.

On my wife’s 2 hour Seattle commute in heavy traffic she averages about 45.0. Her route is not flat.

I have gotten as high as 52.0 on a full tank.
Based on your numbers, I'm betting your elevation change between work and home isn't insignificant. If you're interested check this out Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - Average Fuel Consumption at Increasing Road Grades De-select all but yellow (yellow being "Midsize Sedan HEV - i.e., your car). If you can get elevations at both ends of your commute with your phone's GPS we can estimate how much more Gasoline Gallon Equivalents (GGEs) it might take to drive home than driving to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine got in the 40”s during cooler weather, 50’s during the summer. The engine runs more when it is cold to provide heat. Use the seat warmers and turn off heat, gas mileage goes up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine got in the 40”s during cooler weather, 50’s during the summer. The engine runs more when it is cold to provide heat. Use the seat warmers and turn off heat, gas mileage goes up
Makes sense. Thanks for the input.

FYI, because I have way too much time on my hands, I took the GGE's for -1% ("down hill"), 0 and +1% ("up hill") average grades (for "Midsize Sedan HEV) at Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - Average Fuel Consumption at Increasing Road Grades and created the following equation:

GGE=49x%Grade/100+1.973

Now anyone can plug their %Grade and get their GGE. When -0.25%, 0% and +0.25% are used, one would get:

1.85 GGE going downhill (equivalent to 54.1 MPGGE)

1.97 GGE on level road (equivalent to 50.8 MPGGE)

2.10 GGE going uphill (equivalent to 47.6 MPGGE)

Of course all of this assumes all other things being equal......

Also, the absolute values are likely not too relevant for individual cars but the % differences might be.

Apologies for geeking out.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Our Camry hybrid rarely averaged more than 38 mpg year round. There were trips where it would reach nearly 50 mpg, but not consistently. For highway driving, the hybrid is not your best solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2020 XLE Hybrid, just 250 miles on the odometer, and according to the onboard computer I am averaging about 41mpg. Currently 90 degrees here in Texas. After this next fill up I’ll start tracking my mileage manually hand calculating it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I posted hand calculated numbers above.

The last two days I drove around town for three hours per the trip computer and averaged 51.0 mpg. 68° F. 34 PSI in the tires - 1 lower than recommended because it improves the ride.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
63 Posts
I use my car for commuting to work every day. My trip is about 32 miles one way and where I start at home my elevation is 170 feet. The elevation where I work is 500 feet. It's mostly Interstate so the speed limit is 65 mph. On my trip to work, I average around 48 mpg. On my trip home I average about 55 mpg , for a total of around 52 mpg average going to work and back. I find that the sweet spot for speed for the highest mpg is 70 mph. I have tested this over and over and the very worst speed is 65. I use the minute by minute mpg bar graph calculator on the center screen that tells your mpg as you drive and when I drop it to 65 mph, it drops about three mpg. I have tried this repeatedly and get the same results. The absolute worst mileage I get on the Interstate is at 65 mph. Having said that though, whenever the wife and I go on a trip to the coast, our average is around 55-56 mpg for the whole trip. The speed limit on regular highways here in Oregon is 55 mph and on the coast there are many 45 mph zones and many towns we go through. So this all adds up to improving our overall mpg. My car gets better mileage around town than it does on the highway despite what the EPA says. Maybe it's just my driving style I don't know. I don't have a very heavy foot unless I'm passing someone, so it all adds up to pretty good mileage especially around towns. Some of my trips when I’m in the big city from start to stop I will see 60 to 70 mpg on the trip computer located between the speedometer and efficiency gauge. I think it says “Trip MPG” or something like that. You toggle to it using the left toggle ring on the steering wheel. I'm pretty fortunate though to live in an area where people aren't really in a big hurry. So I can still cruise around town with a pretty light foot and nobody cares. If I tried that in the city that I came from down in California, the results would be very different. Because if you aren't chirping your tires when the light turns green, the people behind you are honking their horn.
My car is a 2018 LE hybrid and I'm still running the stock 16 inch tires that came with it. When i get new tires, they will definitely be 16 inch again. They will most likely be Michelin Energy tires. I saw a review on them at Tire Rack and they said that a Prius they put them on averaged around three mpg more. And according to Tire Rack’s performance stats, they perform better than the Firestone's that I currently have on my car now. They run about $100 more though than the set of Firestone's that I have on now. So I'll just have to weigh that out when the time comes. Who knows I may end up with another set of Firestones. They've been very good to me so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2020 Camry hybrid XLE with about 800 miles. I did a reset of the fuel economy statistics after ~500 miles. The new stats are showing 43.6 mpg now. Wouldnt surprise me if it improves while the car is still going through break in.

I reside in VA and I'm getting 80 degree + weather.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts