Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My friend was driving home tonight and suddenly the rear window in her 2004 Rav4 S just shattered. No other car, rock, large bump, or other item was involved.

Apparently there is a crack that runs the full length of the left and right side of the window and the entire thing is shattered.

I use to own a VW so I am aware that this could happen but haven't heard about it happening in a Toyota product (a minor reason why I bought a Camry). Anybody heard of this?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have been employed by 2 toyota dealers since 1989. first as a parts manager, now
as an asm (assistant service manager)
very rare to see glass just break, take the rav to your local dealer and have a service
manager check for a possible stress crack.
let me know how you make out.
good luck
jim

·
MDT Toyota Tech
413 Posts
We actually had a rav do this at our dealership, the rear window just shattered, we had to send it back to Japen to have them check out the ash content on it or something, but i thought it was complete BS until i saw you complaining of the same thing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 96 Rav did this a couple of years ago sitting in our garage. It was fine when I parked it and the next morning when I went to open the door I noticed the window shattered. It was very cold outside and no heated garage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has happened twice since I bought my RAV

Well, it happened again and that is why I started searching the internet.

The first time was almost exactly a year ago. My car was buttoned up and in my drive way.
In the morning HELLO... Then again this morning. Same thing buttoned up tight, windy night and OH NO NOT AGAIN...:sosad:

We had a windy night and when I got up in the morning the rear window of my 2002 RAV4 had a million tiny cracks.:eek:

It is as if someone tried to kick it from the inside. There is a bulge in the glass, only the fact that it is saftey glass holds it together. These are $400. replacements. I would like to know if anyone else is having the same issue. I have begun to crack a window just in case it is due to pressure build up. Like during a tornado they tell you to crack a window.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a auto glass tech with more than 20 years experience, It has nothing to do with the car or how it was installed. All the glass in a vehicle except the windshield is tempered safety glass. It is tempered by heating to a very high temp then rapidly cooling much the same way as steel is tempered. Just like steel the tempering makes the glass very impact resistant. It also is the reason it blows into thousands of tiny pieces when it does break.

now that youknow how it's made:eek::

Sometimes tempered glass will just break on it's own with no apparent reason. I would say most people would never see it but being in the business I see it all the time both in cars and buildings.

The cracks you spoke of I assume are the gap between the glass and body on each side and these are normal. The thing whe tempered glass is there is no such thing as a crack that eventually leads to the entire thing shattering. When it breaks it all breaks at one time,no acceptions.

My advise would be to call your insurance co.(glass is covered by your comprenshive coverage) and take it to a local glass shop for replacement.

Another piece of advise from somene in the business.... find a local independant shop, stay away from the nationwide chains....tmost do not have the direct supervision and from my experience alot of them are not concerned with the quality of the work they perform.

Hope this easees your mind
Summer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply

Thanks SUMRX4,

Just 5 days ago, I switched from comprehensive/glass to liability to save myself $600/ year on auto insurance. (just paid of the RAV):) . So Murphy's law would dictate I would have a claim, go figure.

By cracking a window, I just mean I leave one of the rear passanger windows open just enough to leave an air gap. So pressure doesn't build up. While it is not unusual for auto windows to blow out in high winds here in CO, there usually is a flying object involved. I find no evidence of flying objects, and it seems odd that the bulge is towards the outside.

I will take your advice when choosing my replacement vender.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thereason for the bulge is because the broken glass has expanded compaired to the unbroked glass.

As far as a recommendation I am in VA so I know no one in your local area. I could name a few to avoid but will refrain at the risk of bashing someone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear window not fully shattering

Hi,
Just two days ago, my fiance was leaving work and went to our 4 month old 2007 Rav4 (limited 4WD), and needed to put his dirty clothes in the back seat. He opened the drivers side passenger door and placed the clothes inside. No marks or damage were noticable or visible, and he closed the door to get in to drive home. Upon closing the door normally, the rear hatch door window broke. This is tempered glass that is supposed to shatter, and it just busted a huge hole away from the car (someone mentioned earlier that there are no acceptions and that tempered glass always shatteres when broken). No sign of vandalism, or anything to break it from the inside out of our car. The service people at our toyota dealership say they "have never seen this happen to this model", and that it is very rare in older cars. There were cracks going up both sides of the window away from where the hole was, and it did not break from shutting the actual hatch door, it broke from shutting the adjacent door.
I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if it is at all possible that the manufacturer could have installed a faulty glass product unknowingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to me this morning! I got into the drivers seat of my 2007 Rav 4 Limited. I closed the door, and smash - the rear hatch window crumbled. The two edges - where it meets the sides of the door - looked like zippers, jagged edges from top to bottom. We had freezing rain last night but it is above freezing now. I checked the neighborhood and there are no other smashed auto windows anywhere in this area. I checked this site because the window did not look like a case vandalism and I had to pass behind the car to get to the drivers side and I believe I would have seen the breakage if it had been there prior to me entering the car. The center of the window is also pushed out slightly - like it was kicked from the inside. This car is only 4 months old and only has 3500 miles on it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shattered rear windows

I am now on my second shattered rear window in 6 months in our 2005 Rav4. The first one my wife reported blew out in our driveway during the summer. This second one blew out as I was driving it today. A large bang, and an oval in the centre section was gone, with the rest of the window still hanging in place but shattered. For what it's worth, I didn't have the rear window defrost on. I suspect there is something wrong with these windows. Anyone have any ideas? I'll ask the glass installer for warranty, and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have experienced this. I drive a 2006 Rav4..and have loved everything about it until a couple of days ago. My Rav is as I type in the glass repair shop having my rear window replaced...AGAIN! I had it shatter on me last September when I was driving down the highway. I had my two children and a friend of my son's in the back seat with the window shattered. Thankfully no one was hurt. I thought it was a freak thing until I went to my garage 3 days ago and found my back window...shattered again! :( Shattered on its own sometime during the night. I am beyond frustrated and as a single mother can honestly not afford to replace a $600.00 window every 4 months. I have talked to my dealership who basically told me that basically instead of complaining I should be happy that for the 40,000kms that are on my vehicle..that I have not had any other problems. He will not cover it under warranty..and claims his wife drives one and has never had a problem! :confused:
i have been in touch with Toyota Canada and am waiting a return call from head office as to what is being done with it. There is obviously some sort of a problem but no one seems to have any idea what is causing this. Are there any new reports as to what may be causing this?

I am scared to keep driving this vehicle because I don't know when it will happen again and its a safety concern to have my children ride in the back seat.

I need some sort of explanation. My story is simliar to the others here that it looks almost like someone kicked it from the inside!

I told my service manager that this was happening to others that I had read about on the internet. He basically told me to ignore it because the internet is their worst enemy. He informed me there was only one other case reported in Canada...
hmmm...

my faith in the toyota product..and service..is diminishing fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today my 2010 Yaris driver's side window shattered for no apparent reason. $300. I was driving about 45mph exiting a highway, heard a pop and then the window shattered. I don't think anything hit it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shattered Windshield

I keep my Toyota Yaris 2006/07 in the garage away from the elements. I had the heat going and the rear windsheild defrost activated while I drove. So I go into shop and I come outside and my windshield is clearly shatter - intact - but shattered. It is a big bubble going outwards so I am positive that it was shattered from the cold. I took some pix for the dealership - but I don't think it is under warranty. :confused: The reason why I say it is from the cold is because today it is -29 C with a -33 windchill.

I remember about 20 years ago putting a hot glass in the fridge on a wire rack and it was one of those tempered glass where they are those indestructable ones - same thing - shattered from cooling down too fast.

I'm actually looking at getting both windshields fixed together because the front one cracked from a tiny rock on the highway - I do almost all city driving but of course one of the half dozen times I've actually been on the highway - I get a rock....

Love my little Yaris tho!!!

j

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do love my Yaris. I just hope it doesnt happen again. It had been really cold that week even snowed here in Texas it had been in the garage and the first day out it shattered after a driving about 50 miles. Lets hope it doesnt keep happening to us!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Window Shattered

I don't have a Rav4 but I do have a 2010 Camry that just had the rear window shatter for no apparent reason. My husband, daughter and I were going out and when my daughter closed her rear door, we heard a crackling noise and the entire rear window had shattered and there was a big hole in the middle of the window. There were pieces of glass all over the rear seat and we thank God our daughter was not hurt. This seems to have been a freakish thing because there was nothing that could have caused this except the pressure caused by closing the door. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shattered rear window

Interesting to read all of the window events in the last 4 years!! Today it was 87F here and
humid. I opened my side rear door in my 2005 RAV-4 to put bags in (car was standing for 6 hrs) and when I closed it the rear window shattered into a gazillion pieces. I was stunned. Feel that it was the heated air that just was too much.....is that physics or what??
The good/bad news is I am scheduled for my 45000mi check tomorrow anyway. The dealer will happily I am sure replace said window. The service manager said he has only heard of one(!) other occurrence. Insurance deductible too high.....lots of money will flow tomorrow.
I still do LOVE my RAV.....first trouble she has ever given me...cannot complain. I sure wish I had opened a window in the car just a bit like I usually do!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Window Shattered

Happened to me on a 2005 Sienna last night. The glass in the rear hatch window is intact but totally shattered. We've had some cold (0 celsius) alternating with warm (25 celsius) and damp weather lately, typical fall weather but otherwise no impacts, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Window "Spontaneously" shattered

I have a 2012 Toyota Highlander with about 10,000 miles on it....never had any problems with it. I live in PA, and temps have been in 60s-70s, nothing extraordinary. I woke up this morning to find the rear window shattered.

Part of glass inside and part outside on the ground. No evidence of theft or vandalism. My car was in the driveway, with many cars on street and no damage to them. Nothing was taken from my car. Interestingly, the rear spoiler was up, but the glass door latch and hatch itself were still closed. You can see the rear wiper still attached to the door, so the glass door latch was not open either. I don't know what could have pushed open the rear spoiler at the top. No dents or scratches it anywhere.

Toyota refused to cover, claiming vandalism. I'm wondering if there is precedent out there with other Toyotas that I could cite, indicating a defect with the vehicle. Any ideas?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today my rear-view windshield shattered... I started the car to head home and I heard the sound of glass breaking. I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw a huge hole in the back windshield and thought "This could not be possible." I hadn't seen anyone vandalize my RAV4, and I hadn't noticed any cracks in the glass when I opened the trunk earlier. It had spontaneously shattered without a cause.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
31 Participants
NCWitchypoo
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing