Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 rav4 rear window shattered

Our 2011 Rav4 was parked in front of our garage in the Illinois Sun several hours around 85 degree. After returning mower to garage moved car into garage about 1 1/2 car lengths. Upon exiting car and closing drivers door rear window shattered into thousands of pieces. Much glass on garage floor. Is this a Toyota problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ours happened in normal weather conditions. Not too hot or cold. What we found out was that when they make the glass, the rollers can sometimes not be cleaned properly. So during the heating and cooling of the glass, metal particles can get trapped between the two layers, and emanate a gas. Then, when the glass is placed in the car, the gas expands and contracts as it would normally. Any amount of pressure, or even a slight touch would have the gas push so hard on the pane that it causes it to explode. I did the research into this, and our Toyota dealer replaced the window while giving us a free rental, at no charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just went outside to pick up my son from work and my driver's side front window was shattered. It was fine 4 hours earlier: the weather has not changed much during the day but quite cold. -25.

The glass is in tiny pieces and broke into the vehicle but no vandalism

Quite frustrating

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota Highlander glass shattered

Just wanted to add my voice and experience to this conversation in case it helps anyone. I have a 2014 Highlander, 6 months old with 6,000 miles on it. It was cold out yesterday, maybe 20 degrees, and 5 minutes after I left home, the passenger side window shattered into tiny little pieces. Most of it stayed in the window frame. Toyota replaced the window today and when I asked if they could determine what caused the problem, they said that all of the glass was so destroyed and had fallen into the door frame that they couldn't determine a reason. I hate the idea of driving this car again without knowing why it happened because that means it could happen again. (And my teenaged daughter was in the seat next to the window.)

·
Blizzard
2 Posts
Yes. It happened to my son's 06 this year. He had de-iced the car, started off and turned on the rear wiper and it immediately shattered. We're looking for a recall on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe This is what happened yesterday to my 2009 RAV 4 while parked with the back facing hot sun. Witnesses heard loud pop like a balloon, but saw no one or no object in or around my car. Back window had fist size hole in center right upper portion of back window and large open zipper crack extending from hole across to left side where there appeared to be smaller hole next to edge. rest of glass completely shattered, but still in place. Very odd, because of number of people who witnessed, and location car was parked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Toyota Camry 4DR Sedan - Last night about 8:30PM Pacific time, Temp in the low 50's, window had no know cracks or nicks ( Original Glass). Got in the car and closed the door and heard a loud muffled sort of vacuum pop like when you pop a paper back. Looked at rear window and it was bowed out and completely shattered as if something inside the car exploded. No Rocks, no holes. Over the next few minutes it just fell away in pieces and chunks.
Anyone ever experience this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this happen years ago in a dodge shadow. I was driving down the road and the passenger side rear door window exploded. scared the shit out of me. At first i had thought that someone shot the window out. There was shattered glass all over the rear seat.

·
Registered
300 Posts
2001 Toyota Camry 4DR Sedan - Last night about 8:30PM Pacific time, Temp in the low 50's, window had no know cracks or nicks ( Original Glass). Got in the car and closed the door and heard a loud muffled sort of vacuum pop like when you pop a paper back. Looked at rear window and it was bowed out and completely shattered as if something inside the car exploded. No Rocks, no holes. Over the next few minutes it just fell away in pieces and chunks.
Anyone ever experience this?
You might post your question on the Camry forum. There are no recalls on the RAV4 windows glass.

Glass breakage like this is a rare event, but does happen. It's likely caused by stress related manufacture defect or install, usually made worse by rapid temp change. Shattering is actually safer than large chunks staying intact during a crash. It can be covered under warranty or more easily by your comprehensive car insurance, a lot of times with little or no deductible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Rear Window Shattered

Hi All,
Just went out to get into my car to go to work and my rear window is shattered in place. The window is still there, all in one piece except for both edges have fallen. No evidence of vandalism, no ice/snow, no impacts (haven't driven it since before Christmas). It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any advice? I called my Toyota dealership and the service dept said they had received no complaints anything like this. Any hep would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts