Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm a newbie to your forum and I see that the people are very cool! I'm a long time lurker/first time poster and I've seen this topic being posted alot, so I figured maybe I should share what I've done to my Gen3..

My name is sepp and I work as an installer/fabricator in a local bodyshop, and we mostly customize trucks and custom audio installs. Anyways, I decided that "for my first post" I should say something different! So I will post this tutorial of "How to Shave" those emblem holes on the back of your Cam.

First, you will need a Body Filler (Bondo is widely-used) make sure to mix a proper ratio of hardener and filler (1 part to 10 part, respectively). A variety of fine-grit sandpapers, color-matched paint, clearcoat, rugs, and spatula.

Mix the hardener and body filler

Under the lid of the 3rd Gen, you'll find a hollow "location", (this is where my Dynamat Extreme was applied) Your finger should reach the holes underneath..

Now begin sanding the spot where your emblem used to be.. this will provide a good grip for the body filler. After sanding, apply a flat amount of body filler into the holes-- using your finger, try to "push back" the filler to avoid falling inside.

Then sand the body filler with your finest grit sandpaper until you don't see anymore lines...

Using your rug and (some) rubbing compound, "smoothen" the sanded spot until it's very smooth

Paint the spot with a closely-matched spray paint--- avoid overruns, and make sure the nozzle is about 12"-20" away to avoid orange peeling.
After about 30mins, apply a second coat. Another 30 minutes and apply a clear coat ONCE.

There you have it-- shaved emblems!
If I have enough time during weekends, we can even work on your Cam!
(I won't charge anything-- just wanna help fellow Cam Enthusiasts ;))
Hope I won't get flamed for posting a LONG strand. Later!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
wow... his first post and he gives a detailed description (with pics, nonetheless) of one of the most commonly asked questions here on TN.

*suck up* :D

welcome!!! :D :D :D

-rayray

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Damn, what a great first post. You are very welcome to TN.
Where are you located?

-Kevin

·
CTM/ShiftGate CAMRY
Jspec 92 Camry V6
974 Posts
:( I wish my first post could of been just like urs.....LOL!!!! I guess I need to post how to mold Z3 fenders....NOT! Its a secret...LOL! Howdy and welcome this board is very informative lots of crazy all knowing canadians, they know about camrys fo sho! :D

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Welcome aboard, and good info.. believe I've seen you on the SC3 forums before :D

·
God Machine
Camry
526 Posts
I have a '92 camry with 290000km on it.. The paint is not as beautyful as when it was new and I think it would be hard to remove the back toyota emblem and do a job that we don't see the difference between the used paint and the new one..
It's the same thing for the other emblems on the trunk.. I was thinking removing the "toyota" and "le v6 sport" emblems but the paint is old and the lettering will be apparent..

Do you guys think a buffer/compound can fix this or the best thing is to "not remove the emblems"/"repaint the car" ? :)

Thanks !

·
2 Pac Ain't Dead...
94 Posts
Since you work for a custom Body Shop, you should look into making/using other kits, to make kits for the Camry, We only have about 4-5 kits out for the Gen 3's, We need to get out and make our presense felt, Where are You out of Again?

·
Registered
401 Posts
wow very nice detailed first post!
where do u live?
welcome to TN btw!

·
Registered
594 Posts
hey where did you get your "closely-matched spray paint", from a dealer? because it looks reaaall good for spray paint... im gonna save this thread...thanx

welcome to TN
:thumbup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
that was a thing of beauty :thumbup: where can i get the matchin paint cuz yours looks perfect i dont think i can match mine as well

·
Registered
642 Posts
great first post! i can't wait to see what other knowledge you can pass on to us all. i'm wondering about the touch up spray painting. i know a bit about spray painting and polishing and stuff from making models and about the 'orange peel' effect when using gloss paint.........but what does it look like after its finished? can you spot the area that's been touched up, did you finish with polishing the whole boot for a uniform appearance. i want to remove the emblems on my car plus also use the finishing technigue on a spot of rust on the bodywork that i want to remove.

·
[ Crazy - Dog ]
Camry 94
666 Posts
Guys, learn! :D

Great instruction with pictures! :thumbup:

Welcome to TN!

Calvin

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
no pix!!!

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
^ exactly man, learn how to read the dates ..... its been like 2 years!!! :hammer: :hammer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts