Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Camry LE 4-cylinder
Seriously need some help here. Every time after I start up my car and press the brake pedal the fuse blows. The fuse is a 15 amp fuse and I bumped it up to a 20 amp and it still blows. The shift lock is set and I can't shift into park without pressing the override switch. I also have replaced the brake light switch. The cruise control is also acting funny, when I tap the brake pedal to knock off the cruise it speeds up and I have to manually turn off the cruise. Apparently some of the cruise control function is in the brake light switch. Please help!

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
Might possibly be related to the Light Failure Sensor. The LFS is located in the trunk, upper left side, underneath some of the trunk fabric. ... Look it up on eBay for a picture. Pull the connector on the LFS, press the brake pedal and observe whether the 15 amp fuse continues to burn out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fuse isn't blowing anymore!!!! The cruise kicks off like it's supposed to and the shift lock isn't on. The only issue is the brake lights don't come on. I'm assuming the sensor is bad and if I replace that the lights will work again?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for your help, much appreciated. More things are working than not working now... I'll replace that sensor and see what happens... Does anyone else know for sure what happens if you disconnect the light failure sensor, does it prevent the brake and running lights from functioning?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok thanks for your help, much appreciated. More things are working than not working now... I'll replace that sensor and see what happens... Does anyone else know for sure what happens if you disconnect the light failure sensor, does it prevent the brake and running lights from functioning?
hello, having the same issue, were you able to fix it yourself? the electrician is suggesting that the problem is because of the potentiometer and I need to take the car to Toyota to reprogram it.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
1,041 Posts
Huh?? Google 'potentiometer' then try to "program" one. Yup, canNOT be done, they are not a programmable bit of kit.
Get a new electrician, or grab a potentiometer out of a junkyard Camry and simply swap it out. No tools required for this job. None. Pull the potentiometer panel out, unplug, reinstall.
That's it, Bob's yer uncle.
hello, having the same issue, were you able to fix it yourself? the electrician is suggesting that the problem is because of the potentiometer and I need to take the car to Toyota to reprogram it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It turns out all of the problems could be traced back to the wires attached to the trunk hinge. Apparently a very common problem. Over time the wires going to the rear end lights break because they are attached directly to the trunk hinge and all the open and closing of the trunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.