Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 ES300. When I start it up, it doesn't shift into 3rd gear until the car gets warmed up or until it hits roughly 45-50 mph (somewhere in there). Anyone experience this or know how to get it to stop?

Doing 45-50 won't work either since my first 5 minutes of driving are limited to 25 :eek::

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
hmm never really noticed that before, but I do know that the ES does have abig time lag due to the drive by wire feature. In Canada Toyota made an official announcement about taking it in and getting it rechipped/programed. Basically they just changed the shift points, but the car still lags.....

I get this with my 03 ES so I know how you feel

·
Registered
643 Posts
Not sure what you are talking about sport as Canadian model ES's don;t have the tranny issues only US models have hesitations and surging.
When cold all toyotas don;t shift until high rpms to cuiculate the fluid

·
Official IS dude
46 Posts
My dad had a 2001 ES300 and now a 2004 ES330.... never had any trouble with it "not" shifting up...

didn't notice any issues with the 01...but in the 04 there are obvious tranny problems... major lag...rev surges...etc.. and its as if the car is always trying to "search" for the right gear... its REALLY annoying

even the service manager at the dealership agrees that the tranny is kinda messed.. but they are just waiting on Lexus to come up with a fix.

shifts fine at WOT but does some weird things in norma driving... disconnected the battery and tried to reset things.. no luck...

IS's apparently had a similar issue.. but i think it gets solved with the grounding kit... never noticed anything on my car...

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
you need to let it warm up in the morning, you will damage the transmission if you start it up and immediatly start driving fast, gotta give the oil in both the engine and trans a chance to warm up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luckynumber5 said:
you need to let it warm up in the morning
It's not even in the morning though, it could be 85º outside and it'll still do it. I don't really mind if it were cold outside, but I don't see the need to waste my gas at high RPM's if it's warm out.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
the engines fluids need a little time to get moving, they need to heat up first, doesnt have to be in the morning just any time the engine has been sitting for more than a few hours, the transmission is programmed not to shift into the higher gears until the temperature is just right

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does your passenger side auto-leveling make a clicking sound when it is undergoing self diagnostic? My 2001 ES 300 does that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skunkworks77 said:
Does your passenger side auto-leveling make a clicking sound when it is undergoing self diagnostic? My 2001 ES 300 does that.
Though I really wish I did, I don't have HID's. I do have some "click" that I can feel through the steering wheel. It's the first thing that happens after I accelerate after shifting to Drive from Reverse. Any ideas on what that might be?

·
Registered
58 Posts
TheRupp said:
Though I really wish I did, I don't have HID's. I do have some "click" that I can feel through the steering wheel. It's the first thing that happens after I accelerate after shifting to Drive from Reverse. Any ideas on what that might be?
Usually, that sound is normal. If it is very loud, the steering knuckle might be loose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely could be something in the steering, since it feels like it. Is a loose steering knuckle something that should be fixed quickly? And is it expensive to do so?

I don't honestly know what a steering knuckle is :dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Push back the seat and look up the steering column. Check the column joints. Apply some grease at the joint knuckles. See if it helps. If not, consult a mechanic. They usually will tell you the problem and the price, so you can decide if you want to spend the money to fix it. Keep us posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.