Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving a Toyota highlander, and turned the car on. it turns out the car wasn't actually started, it was just on.
I shifted gears to Drive anyway because I wasn't thinking. When I realized the car didn't start, I wanted to shift back to Park but the brake locked... so I went into Neutral and turned the car off while still in Neutral.
Then, I turned the car back on and finally put it into Park. Then I turned it off.
When I got back in the car, it seemed to drive a little differently but maybe I was just overreacting. Could I have caused any real damage? I switched gears when the car hadn't started, let alone with the brake pushed.
It was my mom's car and I'm a new, teen driver. PLEASE HELP. I AM VERY NERVOUS

·
Registered
99 RX300, 02 HL V6
294 Posts
I was driving a Toyota highlander, and turned the car on. it turns out the car wasn't actually started, it was just on.
I shifted gears to Drive anyway because I wasn't thinking. When I realized the car didn't start, I wanted to shift back to Park but the brake locked... so I went into Neutral and turned the car off while still in Neutral.
Then, I turned the car back on and finally put it into Park. Then I turned it off.
When I got back in the car, it seemed to drive a little differently but maybe I was just overreacting. Could I have caused any real damage? I switched gears when the car hadn't started, let alone with the brake pushed.
It was my mom's car and I'm a new, teen driver. PLEASE HELP. I AM VERY NERVOUS
You can RELAX now, you did not do any damage. You can run through the gears with the engine off as much as you want, and you will do no damage, except maybe to your wrist:lol:. Anyway, in order to shift out of park, your computer needs to know that the key is in the ON position (not accessory), and that the brake pedal has been depressed. And this is a good time in your driving career to learn a new good habit...when starting the car, verify by sound and looking at the tachometer that the engine is running, do a count to five to allow things like oil pressure (esp in cold weather) to get happy, and then place your foot on the brake and shift into your choice of gears. Good Luck!

Reactions: eadag

·
Registered
99 RX300, 02 HL V6
294 Posts
Thanks a lot for calming my nerves! Everything is just fine, I was only freaking out.
You're welcome, thanks for the Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts