Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEN IN DRIVE THE LIGHT "d" ON THE SHIFTER DOES NOT LIGHT UP, NOR DOES IT LIGHT UP ON THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WHEN IN DRIVE. THE OTHERS LIGHT UP, REVERSE, NEUTRAL ETC.

IS THIS NORMAL OR WHAT?
HOW CAN THIS BE IF THERE IS ONLY ONE BULB? I'VE SEARCHED CHANGING THE SHIFTER LIGHT AND SAW THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE BULB? AM I WRONG?
OR IS THERE MORE THAN ONE BULBS?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The Gen 3 instrument cluster had one bulb per gear indicator. The “D” bulb could be burned out. The gear indicator at the shift lever had one bulb that backlights all gear selections. Moving the shifter causes an orange mark to move to the selected gear.

Changing the bulb in the instrument cluster is easy, but best view the service manual before taking things apart (see link below). The bulb may be available at an auto parts store but I pick them up at the dealer before taking things apart.

http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry

·
Official TN user
95 Camry V6 LE
1,053 Posts
I have a gen 3.5, and mine does that to on the instrument cluster. I think its normal because would you want to see a glowing light around the "d" when driving at night. Thats why its the only one thats doesnt light up.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
The "D" on dash usuall goes out around 100k miles. I've had 2 Gen 3's, and my Dad has one too. That is normal. It is a dealer only bulb.

The bulb on the SHIFTER assembly is a normal 194/168 bulb, as in your corner lights, front and rear.

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
You probably have the D light out on the Cluster (I took it down and swapped the L bulb to the D bulb. The Shifter D is one bulb with a sliding plastic cover. That should be an easy replacement, too (I am not sure on this one, I have not done it).

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
When I did my Cluster bulb change, I took pictures, as well as there were posts here that helped me do it confidently. So, holler if you need the pics....

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
The D light normally comes up, but since its almost always in drive, the bulb can wear out very quickly.

The D light is also out on my car.

·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People Gave Me Wrong Advice But Its Okay
Its Just One Bulb, 194

I Put A Red One. Looks Nice At Night
Since The Car Is White I Would Put Red Accent Lights

Next I'm Gonna Put A Bright White Dome Light
And Maybe A Red Light In The Glovebox
And Underdash Lights Or Leds That Are Red